[Feat Req] Skill point freedom

  • fieari
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
      I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs. While the skill point
      by level feature is very useful for data checking, it can be very
      inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up, say, a templated
      Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a skill, I have to
      hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to max, and if I decide
      later that I want to reallocate some of those points, I can't just 0
      the skill, because max ranks is more than rank-per-level.

      Could the careful seperation of skill points by level those points
      were recieved at be a feature that can be disabled? I can understand
      seperating them by class for purposes of what is a class skill and
      what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating it by level helps any...
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
          I thought there was a preference you can uncheck/check to change it so it doesn't look per level for max requirements. Have you checked there?

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          > I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs. While the skill point
          > by level feature is very useful for data checking, it can be very
          > inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up, say, a templated
          > Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a skill, I have to
          > hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to max, and if I decide
          > later that I want to reallocate some of those points, I can't just 0
          > the skill, because max ranks is more than rank-per-level.
          >
          > Could the careful seperation of skill points by level those points
          > were recieved at be a feature that can be disabled? I can understand
          > seperating them by class for purposes of what is a class skill and
          > what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating it by level helps any...
        • boomer70
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
            --- thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:

            > I thought there was a preference you can
            > uncheck/check to change it so it doesn't look per
            > level for max requirements. Have you checked there?
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > LST Chimp
            >
            > > I often use PCGen to stat out high level NPCs.
            > While the skill point
            > > by level feature is very useful for data checking,
            > it can be very
            > > inconvenient when I'm the DM trying to stat up,
            > say, a templated
            > > Balor. In order to ACTUALLY put max ranks into a
            > skill, I have to
            > > hit alt+M multple times for each skill I want to
            > max, and if I decide
            > > later that I want to reallocate some of those
            > points, I can't just 0
            > > the skill, because max ranks is more than
            > rank-per-level.
            > >
            > > Could the careful seperation of skill points by
            > level those points
            > > were recieved at be a feature that can be
            > disabled? I can understand
            > > seperating them by class for purposes of what is a
            > class skill and
            > > what isn't, but I don't quite get how seperating
            > it by level helps any...

            There is such a setting but that is not what is being
            requested here I think. The problem is that the max
            ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
            for a given level. So if you are creating a high
            level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
            number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
            numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
            points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
            max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
            points at that level. You would then have to hit it
            againt to get the other 4 ranks.

            The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
            (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.

            -Aaron

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
              > There is such a setting but that is not what is being
              > requested here I think. The problem is that the max
              > ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
              > for a given level. So if you are creating a high
              > level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
              > number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
              > numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
              > points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
              > max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
              > points at that level. You would then have to hit it
              > againt to get the other 4 ranks.

              Right, that's what I thought we had a preference for when we started enforcing skill points per level. It was supposed to be part of the same implementation. This in addition to the 'Ignore Max skill ranks' preference.

              > The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
              > (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.

              Interesting.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • tcowan20
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@... wrote:

                > > There is such a setting but that is not what is being
                > > requested here I think. The problem is that the max
                > > ranks feature stops when you run out of skill points
                > > for a given level. So if you are creating a high
                > > level character and you want to specify max ranks in a
                > > number of skills you may have to hit max ranks
                > > numerous times. For example if you have 6 skill
                > > points per level and your max ranks is 10 when you hit
                > > max ranks it will set it to 6 since you will have no
                > > points at that level. You would then have to hit it
                > > againt to get the other 4 ranks.
                >
                > Right, that's what I thought we had a preference for when we
                started enforcing skill points per level. It was supposed to be part
                of the same implementation. This in addition to the 'Ignore Max
                skill ranks' preference.

                > > The work around is to use the hot keys to add a rank
                > > (CRTL-+ i believe) which doesn't stop at each level.
                >
                > Interesting.
                >
                > Tir Gwaith
                > LST Chimp

                Hmm, would an ADD 4 points from 1st level pool and 1 point per level
                to max level be better? maybe add a no nonclass skills fillter to
                it?