Re: [pcgen] Please help create "Wolverine Claws"

  • boomer70
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      --- allencohn <allen@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,

      In future, coding of LST questions should be directed
      to our LST File Help group.

      > One of my home campaign characters fights with
      > weapons that simulate
      > Wolverine's claws (from X Men). I have done a
      > mediocre job coding
      > this in 5.8...(see marksworldequip.lst in the files
      > section) and the
      > code doesn't seem to work properly in 5.10. Will
      > anyone take pity on
      > me and help me code it in?
      >
      > They have the following properties:

      I will assume that you are using 3.0 rules since you
      specified a weapon size.

      In your equipment.lst file (new lines are tabs):
      Wolverine Claws
      SIZE:S
      PROFICIENCY:Wolverine Claws
      DAMAGE:1d8
      EQMOD:STAR_METAL|MWORKW|PLUS2W
      CRITRANGE:3
      CRITMULT:x2 (I am guessing)
      COST:? (Fill in your own value)
      WT:? (Fill in your own value)
      TYPE:Enhancement.Weapon.Exotic.Melee.Slashing.Specific.?
      (Anything else you might want to add)
      SPROP:+2 additional vs. evil creatures
      SPROP:Can crit undead
      SPROP:Good aligned
      SPROP:Against Negative Energy Plane creatures or
      undead it does double damage (and X3 on a crit instead
      of X2)

      Add a weaponprof.lst file:
      Wolverine Claws
      TYPE:Exotic

      Add a eqmod.lst file:
      Star Metal
      KEY:STAR_METAL
      TYPE:BaseMaterial
      COST:?
      VISIBLE:QUALIFY
      ITYPE:Metal.StarMetal
      REPLACES:STEEL
      SPROP:Additional 1d6 of damage vs. outsiders
      SPROP:Ignore 20 hardness

      You shouldn't have to code anything else.

      > * small weapon
      > * slashing, piercing
      > * exotic weapon (he's taken Exotic Weapon
      > Proficiency feat; I may
      > need help implementing that correctly so that the
      > feat can point to
      > this weapon)
      > * One equipped in each hand (fighting two-handed
      > with two-weapon
      > fighting, improved two-weapon fighting, and greater
      > two-weapon
      > fighting)
      > * +2 vs. normal creatures
      > * d8 damage
      > * Star Metal: additional 1d6 of damage vs.
      > outsiders, ignore 20
      > hardness (can probably be implemented as adamantium
      > and I'll just
      > keep track the the outsider business in the notes)
      > * crit range 18-20 (although he's taken improved
      > crit for this
      > specific weapon to make it 15-20...I'll probably
      > need help
      > implementing that, too!)
      >
      > The following additional properties probably don't
      > need to be coded
      > in, but could just be noted in the special
      > properties section:
      >
      > * +2 additional vs. evil creatures
      > * can crit undead
      > * good aligned
      > * against Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead
      > it does double
      > damage (and X3 on a crit instead of X2)
      >
      > Just to calibrate, if I calculated correctly, this
      > 15th-level ranger
      > with STR 25 should have a to-hit of:
      >
      > Base attack +15
      > STR + 7
      > Weapon Focus +1
      > Weapon Plus +2
      >
      > for a total of 25.
      >
      > If he fights two-handed I think it should be
      >
      > +23/+18/+13 d8+9 on primary hand and +22/+17/+12
      > d8+5 on the
      > secondary hand (while retaining the buckler bonus
      > since he has
      > improved buckler defense; I may need help
      > implementing that feat...)
      >
      > Many, many, many thanks in advance.
      >
      > Allen
      > San Francisco

      Hope this helps.

      -Aaron

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Edwin Holley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
        My one thought on that matter is that Wolverine was a Hero (or at
        least usually), so killing was kept to a minimum. It was always fun when a
        "hero" was created who had one main attack with killing damage, and was way
        to strong. If you are not VERY careful, you end up on the wrong side of the
        hero game.

        <snip>

        I've always wondered why Wolverine isn't deadlier in the comics. with
        his claws, and even well-trained-normal-human strength, he can slice
        through titanium like a hot knife through butter. the human body is MUCH
        softer than titanium. I'm surprised that most people he fights haven't
        been decapitated, disemboweled, or worse.

        <SNIP>