Re: Please help create "Wolverine Claws"

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      In our home game, they are things he wears on his hands. They don't
      actually take up the glove slot...only because they're already
      inferior to a plain ol' magic great sword (we ran mathematical
      simulations) and thus the DM didn't want to give me even less
      incentive to use them. The main reason we added them was for "flavor."

      I imagine that in the comics Wolverine doesn't spill more blood
      because too many parents would complain if there was that much
      bloodshed. :-)

      So, would anybody help me code these things? Pretty please?

      Allen

      > One question that has little to do with the coding: are these
      things the
      > character wears on his hands, or are they magically implanted in
      his
      > body (a fantasy-worl equivalent to the Weapion X program)? Can they
      be
      > dropped or knocked off his hands? Is there a substance in your
      world
      > that can break them?
      >
      > I've always wondered why Wolverine isn't deadlier in the comics.
      with
      > his claws, and even well-trained-normal-human strength, he can
      slice
      > through titanium like a hot knife through butter. the human body is
      MUCH
      > softer than titanium. I'm surprised that most people he fights
      haven't
      > been decapitated, disemboweled, or worse.

    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- allencohn <allen@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,

        In future, coding of LST questions should be directed
        to our LST File Help group.

        > One of my home campaign characters fights with
        > weapons that simulate
        > Wolverine's claws (from X Men). I have done a
        > mediocre job coding
        > this in 5.8...(see marksworldequip.lst in the files
        > section) and the
        > code doesn't seem to work properly in 5.10. Will
        > anyone take pity on
        > me and help me code it in?
        >
        > They have the following properties:

        I will assume that you are using 3.0 rules since you
        specified a weapon size.

        In your equipment.lst file (new lines are tabs):
        Wolverine Claws
        SIZE:S
        PROFICIENCY:Wolverine Claws
        DAMAGE:1d8
        EQMOD:STAR_METAL|MWORKW|PLUS2W
        CRITRANGE:3
        CRITMULT:x2 (I am guessing)
        COST:? (Fill in your own value)
        WT:? (Fill in your own value)
        TYPE:Enhancement.Weapon.Exotic.Melee.Slashing.Specific.?
        (Anything else you might want to add)
        SPROP:+2 additional vs. evil creatures
        SPROP:Can crit undead
        SPROP:Good aligned
        SPROP:Against Negative Energy Plane creatures or
        undead it does double damage (and X3 on a crit instead
        of X2)

        Add a weaponprof.lst file:
        Wolverine Claws
        TYPE:Exotic

        Add a eqmod.lst file:
        Star Metal
        KEY:STAR_METAL
        TYPE:BaseMaterial
        COST:?
        VISIBLE:QUALIFY
        ITYPE:Metal.StarMetal
        REPLACES:STEEL
        SPROP:Additional 1d6 of damage vs. outsiders
        SPROP:Ignore 20 hardness

        You shouldn't have to code anything else.

        > * small weapon
        > * slashing, piercing
        > * exotic weapon (he's taken Exotic Weapon
        > Proficiency feat; I may
        > need help implementing that correctly so that the
        > feat can point to
        > this weapon)
        > * One equipped in each hand (fighting two-handed
        > with two-weapon
        > fighting, improved two-weapon fighting, and greater
        > two-weapon
        > fighting)
        > * +2 vs. normal creatures
        > * d8 damage
        > * Star Metal: additional 1d6 of damage vs.
        > outsiders, ignore 20
        > hardness (can probably be implemented as adamantium
        > and I'll just
        > keep track the the outsider business in the notes)
        > * crit range 18-20 (although he's taken improved
        > crit for this
        > specific weapon to make it 15-20...I'll probably
        > need help
        > implementing that, too!)
        >
        > The following additional properties probably don't
        > need to be coded
        > in, but could just be noted in the special
        > properties section:
        >
        > * +2 additional vs. evil creatures
        > * can crit undead
        > * good aligned
        > * against Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead
        > it does double
        > damage (and X3 on a crit instead of X2)
        >
        > Just to calibrate, if I calculated correctly, this
        > 15th-level ranger
        > with STR 25 should have a to-hit of:
        >
        > Base attack +15
        > STR + 7
        > Weapon Focus +1
        > Weapon Plus +2
        >
        > for a total of 25.
        >
        > If he fights two-handed I think it should be
        >
        > +23/+18/+13 d8+9 on primary hand and +22/+17/+12
        > d8+5 on the
        > secondary hand (while retaining the buckler bonus
        > since he has
        > improved buckler defense; I may need help
        > implementing that feat...)
        >
        > Many, many, many thanks in advance.
        >
        > Allen
        > San Francisco

        Hope this helps.

        -Aaron

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Edwin Holley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
          My one thought on that matter is that Wolverine was a Hero (or at
          least usually), so killing was kept to a minimum. It was always fun when a
          "hero" was created who had one main attack with killing damage, and was way
          to strong. If you are not VERY careful, you end up on the wrong side of the
          hero game.

          <snip>

          I've always wondered why Wolverine isn't deadlier in the comics. with
          his claws, and even well-trained-normal-human strength, he can slice
          through titanium like a hot knife through butter. the human body is MUCH
          softer than titanium. I'm surprised that most people he fights haven't
          been decapitated, disemboweled, or worse.

          <SNIP>