Re: [pcgen] Please help create "Wolverine Claws"

  • Derek J. Balling
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      Holy crap I hope those are really hard to come by.

    • Michael Hopcroft
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        allencohn wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > One of my home campaign characters fights with weapons that simulate
        > Wolverine's claws (from X Men). I have done a mediocre job coding
        > this in 5.8...(see marksworldequip.lst in the files section) and the
        > code doesn't seem to work properly in 5.10. Will anyone take pity on
        > me and help me code it in?
        >
        > They have the following properties:
        >
        > * small weapon
        > * slashing, piercing
        > * exotic weapon (he's taken Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat; I may
        > need help implementing that correctly so that the feat can point to
        > this weapon)
        > * One equipped in each hand (fighting two-handed with two-weapon
        > fighting, improved two-weapon fighting, and greater two-weapon
        > fighting)
        > * +2 vs. normal creatures
        > * d8 damage
        > * Star Metal: additional 1d6 of damage vs. outsiders, ignore 20
        > hardness (can probably be implemented as adamantium and I'll just
        > keep track the the outsider business in the notes)
        > * crit range 18-20 (although he's taken improved crit for this
        > specific weapon to make it 15-20...I'll probably need help
        > implementing that, too!)
        >
        > The following additional properties probably don't need to be coded
        > in, but could just be noted in the special properties section:
        >
        > * +2 additional vs. evil creatures
        > * can crit undead
        > * good aligned
        > * against Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead it does double
        > damage (and X3 on a crit instead of X2)
        >
        > Just to calibrate, if I calculated correctly, this 15th-level ranger
        > with STR 25 should have a to-hit of:
        >
        > Base attack +15
        > STR + 7
        > Weapon Focus +1
        > Weapon Plus +2
        >
        > for a total of 25.
        >
        > If he fights two-handed I think it should be
        >
        > +23/+18/+13 d8+9 on primary hand and +22/+17/+12 d8+5 on the
        > secondary hand (while retaining the buckler bonus since he has
        > improved buckler defense; I may need help implementing that feat...)

        One question that has little to do with the coding: are these things the
        character wears on his hands, or are they magically implanted in his
        body (a fantasy-worl equivalent to the Weapion X program)? Can they be
        dropped or knocked off his hands? Is there a substance in your world
        that can break them?

        I've always wondered why Wolverine isn't deadlier in the comics. with
        his claws, and even well-trained-normal-human strength, he can slice
        through titanium like a hot knife through butter. the human body is MUCH
        softer than titanium. I'm surprised that most people he fights haven't
        been decapitated, disemboweled, or worse.
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          In our home game, they are things he wears on his hands. They don't
          actually take up the glove slot...only because they're already
          inferior to a plain ol' magic great sword (we ran mathematical
          simulations) and thus the DM didn't want to give me even less
          incentive to use them. The main reason we added them was for "flavor."

          I imagine that in the comics Wolverine doesn't spill more blood
          because too many parents would complain if there was that much
          bloodshed. :-)

          So, would anybody help me code these things? Pretty please?

          Allen

          > One question that has little to do with the coding: are these
          things the
          > character wears on his hands, or are they magically implanted in
          his
          > body (a fantasy-worl equivalent to the Weapion X program)? Can they
          be
          > dropped or knocked off his hands? Is there a substance in your
          world
          > that can break them?
          >
          > I've always wondered why Wolverine isn't deadlier in the comics.
          with
          > his claws, and even well-trained-normal-human strength, he can
          slice
          > through titanium like a hot knife through butter. the human body is
          MUCH
          > softer than titanium. I'm surprised that most people he fights
          haven't
          > been decapitated, disemboweled, or worse.

        • boomer70
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
            --- allencohn <allen@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,

            In future, coding of LST questions should be directed
            to our LST File Help group.

            > One of my home campaign characters fights with
            > weapons that simulate
            > Wolverine's claws (from X Men). I have done a
            > mediocre job coding
            > this in 5.8...(see marksworldequip.lst in the files
            > section) and the
            > code doesn't seem to work properly in 5.10. Will
            > anyone take pity on
            > me and help me code it in?
            >
            > They have the following properties:

            I will assume that you are using 3.0 rules since you
            specified a weapon size.

            In your equipment.lst file (new lines are tabs):
            Wolverine Claws
            SIZE:S
            PROFICIENCY:Wolverine Claws
            DAMAGE:1d8
            EQMOD:STAR_METAL|MWORKW|PLUS2W
            CRITRANGE:3
            CRITMULT:x2 (I am guessing)
            COST:? (Fill in your own value)
            WT:? (Fill in your own value)
            TYPE:Enhancement.Weapon.Exotic.Melee.Slashing.Specific.?
            (Anything else you might want to add)
            SPROP:+2 additional vs. evil creatures
            SPROP:Can crit undead
            SPROP:Good aligned
            SPROP:Against Negative Energy Plane creatures or
            undead it does double damage (and X3 on a crit instead
            of X2)

            Add a weaponprof.lst file:
            Wolverine Claws
            TYPE:Exotic

            Add a eqmod.lst file:
            Star Metal
            KEY:STAR_METAL
            TYPE:BaseMaterial
            COST:?
            VISIBLE:QUALIFY
            ITYPE:Metal.StarMetal
            REPLACES:STEEL
            SPROP:Additional 1d6 of damage vs. outsiders
            SPROP:Ignore 20 hardness

            You shouldn't have to code anything else.

            > * small weapon
            > * slashing, piercing
            > * exotic weapon (he's taken Exotic Weapon
            > Proficiency feat; I may
            > need help implementing that correctly so that the
            > feat can point to
            > this weapon)
            > * One equipped in each hand (fighting two-handed
            > with two-weapon
            > fighting, improved two-weapon fighting, and greater
            > two-weapon
            > fighting)
            > * +2 vs. normal creatures
            > * d8 damage
            > * Star Metal: additional 1d6 of damage vs.
            > outsiders, ignore 20
            > hardness (can probably be implemented as adamantium
            > and I'll just
            > keep track the the outsider business in the notes)
            > * crit range 18-20 (although he's taken improved
            > crit for this
            > specific weapon to make it 15-20...I'll probably
            > need help
            > implementing that, too!)
            >
            > The following additional properties probably don't
            > need to be coded
            > in, but could just be noted in the special
            > properties section:
            >
            > * +2 additional vs. evil creatures
            > * can crit undead
            > * good aligned
            > * against Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead
            > it does double
            > damage (and X3 on a crit instead of X2)
            >
            > Just to calibrate, if I calculated correctly, this
            > 15th-level ranger
            > with STR 25 should have a to-hit of:
            >
            > Base attack +15
            > STR + 7
            > Weapon Focus +1
            > Weapon Plus +2
            >
            > for a total of 25.
            >
            > If he fights two-handed I think it should be
            >
            > +23/+18/+13 d8+9 on primary hand and +22/+17/+12
            > d8+5 on the
            > secondary hand (while retaining the buckler bonus
            > since he has
            > improved buckler defense; I may need help
            > implementing that feat...)
            >
            > Many, many, many thanks in advance.
            >
            > Allen
            > San Francisco

            Hope this helps.

            -Aaron

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Edwin Holley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
              My one thought on that matter is that Wolverine was a Hero (or at
              least usually), so killing was kept to a minimum. It was always fun when a
              "hero" was created who had one main attack with killing damage, and was way
              to strong. If you are not VERY careful, you end up on the wrong side of the
              hero game.

              <snip>

              I've always wondered why Wolverine isn't deadlier in the comics. with
              his claws, and even well-trained-normal-human strength, he can slice
              through titanium like a hot knife through butter. the human body is MUCH
              softer than titanium. I'm surprised that most people he fights haven't
              been decapitated, disemboweled, or worse.

              <SNIP>