Re: [pcgen] Re: [OS FREQ] Replace "Points" line with Species Type

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
      >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
      >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
      >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).

      > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
      > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
      > years or PRing nover used the point buy system.

      I'll point out that you offer no proof that *your* view is the majority,
      or even a significant minority, either.

      However, the point was that enough people, whether a majority or not,
      find it useful that deleting such functionality, rather than fixing it,
      would appear to be unwarranted.

      > We all prefer the variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating
      > a character, or simply having the convienience of simply converting an
      > older edition AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength
      > and all

      Then by all means, do so, but don't deprive those of us who choose to do
      it differently of *our* convenience.

      If you want to suggest that the point display be suppressed for
      non-point-buy characters, that's great, but don't call for its complete
      removal.

      /bs
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
        We really don't need to argue about this, should be able to accommodate
        everyone. I'm seeing several trackers here:

        Code - GUI: Disable the display of points used when no point buy system was
        used to create the character.

        Code - OS Token: We need some method to determine if a point-buy method is
        used to control the output of that info. Suggestion:

        IIF(HASPOINTBUY:YES)

        OS: Once we have a token in place adjust the sheets accordingly.

        Not related but mentioned in this thread is the display of race type and
        subtypes. Thanks to Aaron this feature is now supported and all the races in
        the RSRD and MSRD have been updated with this info, we now just need to
        update to display this info where appropriate.

        Code - GUI: Display Creature type and subtypes in the race info pane on the
        race tab and the race pane of the summary tab (if this is not already
        there).

        OS: Update the OS's to display race type and subtypes.

        Comments please, if no objections surface I'll enter these later this
        evening.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
          So far the three games that I have been in have used point-by systems.

          Terry

          --

          Terry FitzSimons
          FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

          Data Lemur, Docs Lemur
        • Kevin Brown
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
            >>> At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
            >>> the PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
            >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
            >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
            >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).
            >
            > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
            > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
            > years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
            > variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
            > simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
            > AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
            > (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).

            Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
            how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
            points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll. Etools
            that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
              > Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
              > how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
              > points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll.
              Etools
              > that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.

              We don't use point buy and all I ever see there is "-1" or "0".
              It doesn't show me how many points I've tweaked that I've ever seen.
              [search] Nope just looked at several pdf's and they all show -1 or 0,
              mostly 0.
              Are you saying to add this as a feature?