Re: [OS FREQ] Replace "Points" line with Species Type

  • Darkon
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Truth <geeknz@...> wrote:

      > > > it's
      > > >
      > > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
      > >
      > > At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
      the
      > > PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
      >
      > I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
      other
      > role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4 different
      > groups of 4 to 8 people each).

      Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
      even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
      years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
      variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
      simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
      AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
      (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
        >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
        >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
        >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).

        > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
        > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
        > years or PRing nover used the point buy system.

        I'll point out that you offer no proof that *your* view is the majority,
        or even a significant minority, either.

        However, the point was that enough people, whether a majority or not,
        find it useful that deleting such functionality, rather than fixing it,
        would appear to be unwarranted.

        > We all prefer the variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating
        > a character, or simply having the convienience of simply converting an
        > older edition AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength
        > and all

        Then by all means, do so, but don't deprive those of us who choose to do
        it differently of *our* convenience.

        If you want to suggest that the point display be suppressed for
        non-point-buy characters, that's great, but don't call for its complete
        removal.

        /bs
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
          We really don't need to argue about this, should be able to accommodate
          everyone. I'm seeing several trackers here:

          Code - GUI: Disable the display of points used when no point buy system was
          used to create the character.

          Code - OS Token: We need some method to determine if a point-buy method is
          used to control the output of that info. Suggestion:

          IIF(HASPOINTBUY:YES)

          OS: Once we have a token in place adjust the sheets accordingly.

          Not related but mentioned in this thread is the display of race type and
          subtypes. Thanks to Aaron this feature is now supported and all the races in
          the RSRD and MSRD have been updated with this info, we now just need to
          update to display this info where appropriate.

          Code - GUI: Display Creature type and subtypes in the race info pane on the
          race tab and the race pane of the summary tab (if this is not already
          there).

          OS: Update the OS's to display race type and subtypes.

          Comments please, if no objections surface I'll enter these later this
          evening.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Terry FitzSimons
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
            So far the three games that I have been in have used point-by systems.

            Terry

            --

            Terry FitzSimons
            FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

            Data Lemur, Docs Lemur
          • Kevin Brown
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
              >>> At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
              >>> the PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
              >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
              >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
              >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).
              >
              > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
              > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
              > years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
              > variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
              > simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
              > AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
              > (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).

              Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
              how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
              points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll. Etools
              that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
                > Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
                > how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
                > points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll.
                Etools
                > that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.

                We don't use point buy and all I ever see there is "-1" or "0".
                It doesn't show me how many points I've tweaked that I've ever seen.
                [search] Nope just looked at several pdf's and they all show -1 or 0,
                mostly 0.
                Are you saying to add this as a feature?