Full page PCGen ad

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2006
      As part of our sponsorship agreement Silven has donated a full page of space
      in their publication, below is a link to a draft for this ad. It needs work,
      I'm not the best writer and it need a bit more copy to round it out, I'd
      welcome anyone willing to take a swing at it. Other comments are also
      welcome. We've not much time though, this is due today and I'm hoping it
      will still be accepted a day or so late.

      http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/banners/Silven_Ad.pdf
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
    • Tod W. Milam
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
        Overall it looks good. I'd have to question whether to include Alpha
        sources in the list of supported sources, though (Dawnforge in
        particular).
        Also, I didn't see Silven listed in the supported Campaign Settings or
        Game Systems. Since it is their publication, shouldn't whatever
        datasets PCGen has for them be mentioned?

        Tod

        --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

        > As part of our sponsorship agreement Silven has donated a full page
        > of space
        > in their publication, below is a link to a draft for this ad. It
        > needs work,
        > I'm not the best writer and it need a bit more copy to round it out,
        > I'd
        > welcome anyone willing to take a swing at it. Other comments are also
        > welcome. We've not much time though, this is due today and I'm hoping
        > it
        > will still be accepted a day or so late.
        >
        > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/banners/Silven_Ad.pdf
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

        > --------------------~-->
        > Home is just a click away.� Make Yahoo! your home page now.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/7tRolB/TM

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
          > Also, I didn't see Silven listed in the supported Campaign Settings or
          > Game Systems. Since it is their publication, shouldn't whatever
          > datasets PCGen has for them be mentioned?

          That was my very first thought upon reading this.

          Otherwise, I thought it was very good, even with the mention of
          not-quite-ready-for-prime-time data sources.

          /bs
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
            On 6/2/06 10:05 AM, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@...> wrote:

            >> Also, I didn't see Silven listed in the supported Campaign Settings or
            >> Game Systems. Since it is their publication, shouldn't whatever
            >> datasets PCGen has for them be mentioned?
            >
            > That was my very first thought upon reading this.

            Well the one set we have from them now is a supplement, not a setting or
            game system. I thought the most appropriate thing to do would be to have a
            paragraph acknowledging them as our sponsor and thanking them for their
            support, we could mention the Silven set there.

            > Otherwise, I thought it was very good, even with the mention of
            > not-quite-ready-for-prime-time data sources.

            Thank you.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • Brass Tilde
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
              > Well the one set we have from them now is a supplement, not a setting
              > or
              > game system.

              Maybe a line somewhere about "also with support for products from..."
              and mentioning the various companies, with Silven listed prominently.

              > I thought the most appropriate thing to do would be to have a
              > paragraph acknowledging them as our sponsor and thanking them
              > for their support, we could mention the Silven set there.

              That would be good, too.
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
                I've revised the ad, here's the next (hopefully final) draft, same link:

                http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/banners/Silven_Ad.pdf
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              • Michael Beaver
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Nice job Eddy!

                  Beaver
                  On Jun 2, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

                  > I've revised the ad, here's the next (hopefully final) draft, same
                  > link:
                  >
                  > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/banners/Silven_Ad.pdf
                  > --
                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                  > ~-->
                  > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
                  > technology. It's free.
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/7tRolB/TM

                • taluroniscandar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                    Unless you have permission from the publishers to post their names you
                    might want to consider putting in the standard trade mark disclaimer.

                  • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                      > Unless you have permission from the publishers to post their names you
                      > might want to consider putting in the standard trade mark disclaimer.

                      More than that: we have to have permission from them, or we violate the OGL (Sec. 11)

                      Tir Gwaith
                      LST Chimp
                    • Edwin Holley
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                        Do I have permission to post this at my local gaming store? It looks great.

                        I've revised the ad, here's the next (hopefully final) draft, same link:

                        http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/banners/Silven_Ad.pdf
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)

                        PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                        PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/
                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                          Edwin Holley scribed:

                          > Do I have permission to post this at my local gaming store? It looks great.

                          Tir pointed out that permission needs to be given by the publishers before
                          they can be mentioned in an ad, I'm reworking it now to give a 'feature
                          list' rather than a publisher list.

                          Once that is done I have no problem with any use of it which serves to
                          promote the project, posting at gaming stores is a wonderful idea.
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        • Edwin Holley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                            Good, can't wait for the finished product. Replied before I read all the
                            posts. Gotten myself in trouble more than once for that :-).

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                              Edwin Holley scribed:

                              > Good, can't wait for the finished product.

                              I've put it in the files section, Sourceforge isn't letting me log into the
                              homepage at the moment. This revision removes all references to specific
                              publishers with the exception of Silven Publishing (since this is their
                              magazine this shouldn't be a problem). What we have now is a feature list
                              and I think this is actually better as far as promotion goes.

                              Writing is not my strong suite so any suggestions for improving the language
                              are welcome.
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            • Eddy Anthony
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 3, 2006
                                Sourceforge finally let me in, revised ad is at the same link:

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 4, 2006
                                  I was unable to get it to load. Am I doing something weird?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 4, 2006
                                    Cool, I got it from yahoo groups. I will get it printed, and see if my game
                                    shop will post it. Think they will, they are very big into d20.