Re: [pcgen] [OS FREQ] Replace "Points" line with Species Type

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
      a lot of our future campaigns in 3.5e are going to use a point buy system
      for ablilty scores. we used it during the present campaign.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
        On 6/1/06, The Wandering Dru <dru@...> wrote:

        > Derek J. Balling wrote:
        >

        > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
        > >

        > The RPGA uses it exclusively. My group uses it often, but not always.
        > When using point buy, it is nice to have that there as a quick reference
        > for the DM.
        >
        > I don't think it's useless, but it is borked when point buy isn't used.

        So how about a FREQ for an output sheet token that can be used in an if
        statement, with a return value based on whether or not points are being
        used. It would be crucial that this not just be a string token that returns
        something that can't be compared using existing logic - it has to be able to
        be used in an if or other conditional statement. If we had that, I could
        change the output sheet to output the points block only if they're using
        points, and otherwise either expand the rest of the columns, or output
        something else in place of points.

        That would save the headaches that I have with newbies wondering what the
        Points section is and why it's important enough to be on the front of the
        sheet, but also prevent us from turning off something that's undeniably
        important.

      • Truth
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
          On 6/2/06, Tod W. Milam <twmilam@...> wrote:
          > --- "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@...> wrote:
          > > > It's not useless. It's the number of points used to create a
          > > > character
          > > > using a Point-Buy system. Quite useful to me, and I appreciate
          > > it's
          > > > presence.
          > >
          > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
          >
          > At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing the
          > PCs and for creating my own NPCs.

          I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the other
          role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4 different
          groups of 4 to 8 people each).

          --
          Truth.
          There is no religion higher than the Truth.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bowers" <richard.bowers@...> wrote:
            > So how about a FREQ for an output sheet token that can be used in an if
            > statement, with a return value based on whether or not points are being
            > used. It would be crucial that this not just be a string token that
            returns
            > something that can't be compared using existing logic - it has to be
            able to
            > be used in an if or other conditional statement. If we had that, I could
            > change the output sheet to output the points block only if they're using
            > points, and otherwise either expand the rest of the columns, or output
            > something else in place of points.
            >
            > That would save the headaches that I have with newbies wondering
            what the
            > Points section is and why it's important enough to be on the front
            of the
            > sheet, but also prevent us from turning off something that's undeniably
            > important.

            That FREQ is already in the system. When JEP functions within the OS
            tokens, many things like this will be possible...

            Chuck
            OS Chimp
          • Darkon
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Truth <geeknz@...> wrote:

              > > > it's
              > > >
              > > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
              > >
              > > At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
              the
              > > PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
              >
              > I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
              other
              > role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4 different
              > groups of 4 to 8 people each).

              Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
              even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
              years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
              variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
              simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
              AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
              (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).
            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
                >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
                >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).

                > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
                > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
                > years or PRing nover used the point buy system.

                I'll point out that you offer no proof that *your* view is the majority,
                or even a significant minority, either.

                However, the point was that enough people, whether a majority or not,
                find it useful that deleting such functionality, rather than fixing it,
                would appear to be unwarranted.

                > We all prefer the variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating
                > a character, or simply having the convienience of simply converting an
                > older edition AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength
                > and all

                Then by all means, do so, but don't deprive those of us who choose to do
                it differently of *our* convenience.

                If you want to suggest that the point display be suppressed for
                non-point-buy characters, that's great, but don't call for its complete
                removal.

                /bs
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                  We really don't need to argue about this, should be able to accommodate
                  everyone. I'm seeing several trackers here:

                  Code - GUI: Disable the display of points used when no point buy system was
                  used to create the character.

                  Code - OS Token: We need some method to determine if a point-buy method is
                  used to control the output of that info. Suggestion:

                  IIF(HASPOINTBUY:YES)

                  OS: Once we have a token in place adjust the sheets accordingly.

                  Not related but mentioned in this thread is the display of race type and
                  subtypes. Thanks to Aaron this feature is now supported and all the races in
                  the RSRD and MSRD have been updated with this info, we now just need to
                  update to display this info where appropriate.

                  Code - GUI: Display Creature type and subtypes in the race info pane on the
                  race tab and the race pane of the summary tab (if this is not already
                  there).

                  OS: Update the OS's to display race type and subtypes.

                  Comments please, if no objections surface I'll enter these later this
                  evening.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                • Terry FitzSimons
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                    So far the three games that I have been in have used point-by systems.

                    Terry

                    --

                    Terry FitzSimons
                    FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                    Data Lemur, Docs Lemur
                  • Kevin Brown
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                      >>> At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
                      >>> the PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
                      >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
                      >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
                      >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).
                      >
                      > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
                      > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
                      > years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
                      > variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
                      > simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
                      > AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
                      > (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).

                      Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
                      how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
                      points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll. Etools
                      that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.
                    • taluroniscandar
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
                        > Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
                        > how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
                        > points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll.
                        Etools
                        > that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.

                        We don't use point buy and all I ever see there is "-1" or "0".
                        It doesn't show me how many points I've tweaked that I've ever seen.
                        [search] Nope just looked at several pdf's and they all show -1 or 0,
                        mostly 0.
                        Are you saying to add this as a feature?