Re: [pcgen] [OS FREQ] Replace "Points" line with Species Type

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
      >> It's not useless. It's the number of points used to create a
      >> character using a Point-Buy system. Quite useful to me, and
      >> I appreciate it's presence.
      >
      > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?

      Enough that someone thought to put it there. And if the posts on
      Wizards' DnD mailing list are any indication, quite a few. We only play
      point-buy characters any more, as it levels the playing field a fair
      bit. Random roles, even under the most stringent of re-rolling rules,
      i.e. none, often resulted in characters that either contributed nothing,
      in the case of severely bad rolls, or monopolizing every encounter, with
      the exceptionally good ones. Relaxing the re-roll rules just resulted
      in *more* overpowered characters, requiring too much hand adjustment of
      CRs and treasure and such. Wasn't worth it to us. Bear in mind that in
      our group, my son and I are the most inexperienced players at about 10
      and 3 years respectively. The others have been playing for upwards of
      20 or 25.

      > And half the time, I agree with the OP, that the number which is in
      > there is clearly borked (0, negative, etc.)

      I'll freely admit that outputting 0 when a character *isn't* generated
      using point-buy, or having an incorrect number, is sub-obtimal, but I'd
      suggest fixing it, rather than removing it. I use it often, though I
      too have seen it "borked" on occasion; I just haven't taken the time to
      figure out why.

      /bs
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
        a lot of our future campaigns in 3.5e are going to use a point buy system
        for ablilty scores. we used it during the present campaign.

        >> It's not useless. It's the number of points used to create a
        >> character using a Point-Buy system. Quite useful to me, and
        >> I appreciate it's presence.
        >
        > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?

        Enough that someone thought to put it there. And if the posts on
        Wizards' DnD mailing list are any indication, quite a few. We only play
        point-buy characters any more, as it levels the playing field a fair
        bit. Random roles, even under the most stringent of re-rolling rules,
        i.e. none, often resulted in characters that either contributed nothing,
        in the case of severely bad rolls, or monopolizing every encounter, with
        the exceptionally good ones. Relaxing the re-roll rules just resulted
        in *more* overpowered characters, requiring too much hand adjustment of
        CRs and treasure and such. Wasn't worth it to us. Bear in mind that in
        our group, my son and I are the most inexperienced players at about 10
        and 3 years respectively. The others have been playing for upwards of
        20 or 25.

        > And half the time, I agree with the OP, that the number which is in
        > there is clearly borked (0, negative, etc.)

        I'll freely admit that outputting 0 when a character *isn't* generated
        using point-buy, or having an incorrect number, is sub-obtimal, but I'd
        suggest fixing it, rather than removing it. I use it often, though I
        too have seen it "borked" on occasion; I just haven't taken the time to
        figure out why.

        /bs

        PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
        PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "pcgen" on the web.

      • Richard Bowers
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
          On 6/1/06, The Wandering Dru <dru@...> wrote:

          > Derek J. Balling wrote:
          >

          > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
          > >

          > The RPGA uses it exclusively. My group uses it often, but not always.
          > When using point buy, it is nice to have that there as a quick reference
          > for the DM.
          >
          > I don't think it's useless, but it is borked when point buy isn't used.

          So how about a FREQ for an output sheet token that can be used in an if
          statement, with a return value based on whether or not points are being
          used. It would be crucial that this not just be a string token that returns
          something that can't be compared using existing logic - it has to be able to
          be used in an if or other conditional statement. If we had that, I could
          change the output sheet to output the points block only if they're using
          points, and otherwise either expand the rest of the columns, or output
          something else in place of points.

          That would save the headaches that I have with newbies wondering what the
          Points section is and why it's important enough to be on the front of the
          sheet, but also prevent us from turning off something that's undeniably
          important.

        • Truth
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
            On 6/2/06, Tod W. Milam <twmilam@...> wrote:
            > --- "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@...> wrote:
            > > > It's not useless. It's the number of points used to create a
            > > > character
            > > > using a Point-Buy system. Quite useful to me, and I appreciate
            > > it's
            > > > presence.
            > >
            > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
            >
            > At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing the
            > PCs and for creating my own NPCs.

            I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the other
            role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4 different
            groups of 4 to 8 people each).

            --
            Truth.
            There is no religion higher than the Truth.
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bowers" <richard.bowers@...> wrote:
              > So how about a FREQ for an output sheet token that can be used in an if
              > statement, with a return value based on whether or not points are being
              > used. It would be crucial that this not just be a string token that
              returns
              > something that can't be compared using existing logic - it has to be
              able to
              > be used in an if or other conditional statement. If we had that, I could
              > change the output sheet to output the points block only if they're using
              > points, and otherwise either expand the rest of the columns, or output
              > something else in place of points.
              >
              > That would save the headaches that I have with newbies wondering
              what the
              > Points section is and why it's important enough to be on the front
              of the
              > sheet, but also prevent us from turning off something that's undeniably
              > important.

              That FREQ is already in the system. When JEP functions within the OS
              tokens, many things like this will be possible...

              Chuck
              OS Chimp
            • Darkon
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Truth <geeknz@...> wrote:

                > > > it's
                > > >
                > > > How many people actually use point-buy systems, though?
                > >
                > > At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
                the
                > > PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
                >
                > I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
                other
                > role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4 different
                > groups of 4 to 8 people each).

                Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
                even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
                years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
                variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
                simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
                AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
                (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).
              • Brass Tilde
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                  >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
                  >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
                  >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).

                  > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
                  > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
                  > years or PRing nover used the point buy system.

                  I'll point out that you offer no proof that *your* view is the majority,
                  or even a significant minority, either.

                  However, the point was that enough people, whether a majority or not,
                  find it useful that deleting such functionality, rather than fixing it,
                  would appear to be unwarranted.

                  > We all prefer the variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating
                  > a character, or simply having the convienience of simply converting an
                  > older edition AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength
                  > and all

                  Then by all means, do so, but don't deprive those of us who choose to do
                  it differently of *our* convenience.

                  If you want to suggest that the point display be suppressed for
                  non-point-buy characters, that's great, but don't call for its complete
                  removal.

                  /bs
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                    We really don't need to argue about this, should be able to accommodate
                    everyone. I'm seeing several trackers here:

                    Code - GUI: Disable the display of points used when no point buy system was
                    used to create the character.

                    Code - OS Token: We need some method to determine if a point-buy method is
                    used to control the output of that info. Suggestion:

                    IIF(HASPOINTBUY:YES)

                    OS: Once we have a token in place adjust the sheets accordingly.

                    Not related but mentioned in this thread is the display of race type and
                    subtypes. Thanks to Aaron this feature is now supported and all the races in
                    the RSRD and MSRD have been updated with this info, we now just need to
                    update to display this info where appropriate.

                    Code - GUI: Display Creature type and subtypes in the race info pane on the
                    race tab and the race pane of the summary tab (if this is not already
                    there).

                    OS: Update the OS's to display race type and subtypes.

                    Comments please, if no objections surface I'll enter these later this
                    evening.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  • Terry FitzSimons
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                      So far the three games that I have been in have used point-by systems.

                      Terry

                      --

                      Terry FitzSimons
                      FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                      Data Lemur, Docs Lemur
                    • Kevin Brown
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                        >>> At least 2 of us. I certainly find it useful, both for policing
                        >>> the PCs and for creating my own NPCs.
                        >> I think quite a few of us use this. I know I do, as do all the
                        >> other role-players I'm currently in contact with (at least 4
                        >> different groups of 4 to 8 people each).
                        >
                        > Just understand that you do not represent 100% of the populatio or
                        > even the majority. Every group I ever interacted with in over 23
                        > years or PRing nover used the point buy system. We all prefer the
                        > variety of seeing how our luck fairs when generating a character, or
                        > simply having the convienience of simply converting an older edition
                        > AD&D character straight into the game - 18(95) strength and all
                        > (which btw converts to a 22 in 3rd edition).

                        Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
                        how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
                        points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll. Etools
                        that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.
                      • taluroniscandar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 6, 2006
                          > Even for non-point buy players it can serve a purpose. Such as seeing
                          > how many times one has rolled to get the current character or how many
                          > points they have tweaked around on the character after the roll.
                          Etools
                          > that came with the 3rd Ed Player's Handbook did this.

                          We don't use point buy and all I ever see there is "-1" or "0".
                          It doesn't show me how many points I've tweaked that I've ever seen.
                          [search] Nope just looked at several pdf's and they all show -1 or 0,
                          mostly 0.
                          Are you saying to add this as a feature?