Re: Italian Version of PC-GEN [Frank]

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2006
      Hi all,

      One of the major goals of the 5.12 release (next major production
      release) will be to have full internationalisation support, we're
      definitely starting to get there, and hopefully will be able to start
      getting useful feedback right from the bfirst Alpha build.

      Frank, bringing this person to your attention, you should probably
      have the internationalisation of the data files under your team

      Karianna
      Chair Monkey

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

      > --- ian_darkus <morb85@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi to everybody, I'm an Italian fan of this project
      > > and I thought that
      > > would be great to have pcgen in my homelenguage!!!
      > > I saw in the preferences that there is an Italian
      > > version under
      > > construction...well...I traslated a lot of material
      > > from english for
      > > my own so if I can help in some manner...just
      > > contact me!!!
      > >
      > > Ian Darkus
      > >

      > Hi Ian,
      >
      > I am definately interested in moving forward with the
      > internationalization of PCGen. I have recently made
      > changes to allow the data files (things like the SRD)
      > used by PCGen to be translated. I am also trying to
      > purge hardcoded strings and other nastiness from the
      > code so the UI elements will be translatable.
      >
      > If you have any feedback or areas of concern please
      > let me know. Or if you want to translate the SRD data
      > files for us even better :)
      >
      > -Aaron

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25, 2006
        Hi Ian,

        I just heard back from one of our OGL monkeys and he told me that we have to
        make sure that we are using only Open Game Content and also that the used
        translation is not taken from a licensed edition of the Dnd game, but is one
        of your own.

        Now, I do not know if a licensed Italian DnD version exists, but if it does,
        you cannot use their translation. I am German myself, so I know the German
        edition of the game. This one often does not use a straight translation of
        the English original, but tries to give a flavor that they think suits the
        game better. For that matter many feats, monsters and spells have names that
        are quite different, sometimes not even related to the original English
        name. If I wanted to do a German version of our files, I would have to make
        a translation of the SRD on my own, so that it would in many places look
        quite different to what a German player is used to.

        So if you have translated only files you found in our Distribution, and you
        made the translation on your own, this would definitely be of interest for
        us. If you're interested to join the team to continue working on
        translations, that's even better. I will pm you to discuss further details.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Content Silverback

        --
        I- I- I watched him for fifteen years, sitting in a room, staring at a wall,
        not seeing the wall, looking past the wall - looking at this night,