[pcgen] How to create simple magic objects ?

  • jc75_2004
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12 3:06 AM
      Hi everybody,

      As a noob', my question is that simple:
      In PCGen (version 5.8.1), how can I create simple magic objects, such
      as a +1 Leather armor, or a +1 Rapier ?
      Guess there's something to do with the "create custom object" option,
      but couldn't find yet...

      Thanks to all !
      Jesse.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12 4:50 AM
        > As a noob', my question is that simple:
        > In PCGen (version 5.8.1), how can I create simple
        > magic objects, such s a +1 Leather armor, or a +1
        > Rapier ?

        Right click on the item in question to customize it. To make magic items, you first need to masterwork them.

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12 4:51 AM
          > In PCGen (version 5.8.1), how can I create simple magic objects, such
          > as a +1 Leather armor, or a +1 Rapier ?
          > Guess there's something to do with the "create custom object" option,

          You look for the leather armor entry, the non-magical one. Press right
          mouse button and choose the 'create custom object' entry.

          Now you can add properties to it. First you have to add the masterwork
          quality to it (as you can enchant only masterwork items). You can do this
          either by double-clicking on the masterwork entry in the left hand panel,
          or by highlighting this entry and pressing the 'Add' button.

          Adding this quality adds a lot of enchantment options to the left-hand
          panel (all the stuff that has 'masterwork' as requirement). One of those is
          the +1 enhancement. Select that as you did the masterwork quality.

          And then just press 'Buy' to add it to your character...

          Hope that helps,

          Susan
        • dchuntarz
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006
            I really don't understand the way to create it... :(

            I am under version 5.10.1 (last one) and want to create under oriental
            adventures some basic magical stuff. No problem to right click on a
            katana and take "create custom item".

            On the left frame, I have add type and Masterwork. after an double
            click on Masterwork, I have masterwork on the the right frame. I see
            no other options to click... If I click twice on the "add type", I
            have a new window called "Select desired Type(s)" ut I don't see
            anything that could hive me some magical possibilities (has a +3 to
            hit / +3 damages).
            I'm sure I missed something easy and will cry (I'm a big noob) after
            you exmplain it ;o) but for now, I am lost... Could you please give me
            the way to do it ?

            (hope it so easy that I will create my first magic ring in 3 clicks
            after that).

            Thanks a lot for your help !!!
            DCH
          • Susan Dittmar
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
              Quoting dchuntarz (dchuntarz@...):
              > I really don't understand the way to create it... :(
              >
              > I am under version 5.10.1 (last one) and want to create under oriental
              > adventures some basic magical stuff. No problem to right click on a
              > katana and take "create custom item".
              >
              > On the left frame, I have add type and Masterwork. after an double
              > click on Masterwork, I have masterwork on the the right frame. I see
              > no other options to click... If I click twice on the "add type", I
              > have a new window called "Select desired Type(s)" ut I don't see
              > anything that could hive me some magical possibilities (has a +3 to
              > hit / +3 damages).
              > I'm sure I missed something easy and will cry (I'm a big noob) after
              > you exmplain it ;o) but for now, I am lost... Could you please give me
              > the way to do it ?

              I do not completely understand what you are trying. I just tried the same
              and it worked as a charm.

              Here's what I did:

              * In Settings->Gamemode I chose the 3.0 version, as Oriental Adventures
              is 3.0 if I remember correctly. (If you use 3.5, the rest won't be
              affected except that you have to load RSRD instead of SRD.)
              * Choose the complete SRD sources, load them.
              * Start a character. I did not give it anything, just started the
              appropriated windows by that.
              * Choose Inventory tab.
              * In the left frame, search for Katana (among the weapons).
              * Right-Click on the Katana and choose 'customize item'.
              This opens the chooser for the abilities. As katanas are always
              masterwork items, this property is already chosen.
              And in this choser there is, among other possibilities, the
              enhancement (weapon or ammunition) options...
              If you want special properties, btw, you first have to choose an
              enhancement of at least +1, as magical enchantments can only put on such
              items.

              Now, if this (and possible other replies by this list) doesn't help, please
              try to explain in more detail what you want to archive and where you think
              something goes wrong.

              Susan
            • dchuntarz
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                Many thanks for your help. I have now a better understanding of my
                problem ...

                - In game mode, I have to choose "D&D Oriental Adventures v3.Oe". If I
                choose the 3.0 version, I dont think I have access to Oriental
                Adventures (but I will have a look). So I do not load the "complete
                srd" source but the D&D oriental adventures source.

                - By following your advice, and loading the complete srd source, I had
                a complete understanding of how easy it is to create magic items
                because many options do appear(with a lot of magical effects). This is
                not the case when I do exacly the same but load the "D&D O avendures"
                source... Nothing appear at all for such magical bonus :(

                Any ideas ?
                Thanks again,
                DCH.
              • Susan Dittmar
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Hi,

                  Quoting dchuntarz (dchuntarz@...):
                  > - In game mode, I have to choose "D&D Oriental Adventures v3.Oe". If I
                  > choose the 3.0 version, I dont think I have access to Oriental
                  > Adventures (but I will have a look). So I do not load the "complete
                  > srd" source but the D&D oriental adventures source.

                  That looks to me that someone created a gamemode for Oriental Adventures
                  (where I think making it part of 3.0 gamemode should have been enough; but
                  I am just a beginner at using PCGen and might just overlook a lot).
                  And this gamemode does not include enough of the basic rules.

                  In my copy of the 5.10.1 I do not see such a gamemode. I did not find the
                  Oriental Adventure data files either...

                  That brings me to another idea. Are those sources you bought from Code
                  Monkey Pubishing? If so, I think using 5.10.1 PCGen might cause problems.
                  As far as I know the sources from CMP still use version 5.8.1 of PCGen and
                  are *not* compatible with 5.10.1.

                  Just some thoughts that might perhaps trigger something that helps you...

                  Susan
                • cofoghlu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "dchuntarz" <dchuntarz@...> wrote:
                    > - In game mode, I have to choose "D&D Oriental Adventures v3.Oe". If I
                    > choose the 3.0 version, I dont think I have access to Oriental
                    > Adventures (but I will have a look). So I do not load the "complete
                    > srd" source but the D&D oriental adventures source.

                    Sounds like you bought the Code Monkey Publishing (CMP) dataset for
                    this book. If so, then your questions should really be posed on the
                    message boards
                    (http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index&c=22)
                    that CMP host on their site (the reason being, that everyone on those
                    boards has purchased the datasets from them, and the issues are
                    different depending on the game mode and datasets that you are using).

                    That said, CMP datasets currently only work with PC Gen 5.8.1 so try
                    using that version and see if your issue persists.

                    --
                    Cormac
                  • dchuntarz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Many thanks to all. I had to buy the "core set" and now everything is
                      working fine and I can create all magics items I need.

                      Regards,
                      DCH