Re: NOT HAPPY !!! (Was: Re: [pcgen][bug] Willpower vs. Will - NOT working)

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 44 , May 3, 2006
      On May 3, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Frank Kliewe wrote:

      > Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating to go crazy on name changes,
      > in fact
      > we have certain standards to follow, and normally a name is not
      > going to
      > change unless a mistake was made, and then only one change should be
      > necessary.

      I would agree with the above statement, if it were edited as follows:
      "... in <theory> we have certain standards to follow, and <in theory>
      a name <shouldn't> change unless a mistake was made, and then only
      one change should be necessary."

      I would think that the source documents -- in this case, the PHB, DMG
      and MM, along with their errata -- would define the "standards". [If
      WotC chooses to call one thing a "Sword (Short)" and another thing a
      "Longsword", then those are the terms we should use regardless of the
      fact that they don't follow the same syntax (and may thus be
      unintuitive for someone who doesn't have the books).] The source
      documents are relatively fixed and unchanging (aside from the errata).

      In practice, it seems that names are changed -- not on whim, but by
      committee and for reasons which they feel are just -- nearly every
      release.

      This is inconsistent with the position you state above.

      > ... It is simply not possible to have the names etched in stone.

      I don't understand why not.

      > For LST syntax the name is nothing else but a tag. And it is
      > obviously a tag
      > that has to serve too many purposes. It should just be the word
      > that is
      > displayed, and not influence the saving of the object in the
      > character file.
      > Once we have another tag to take that role, we can change names
      > where needed
      > without it having influence on existing characters. And that is the
      > path I
      > want to take with this.
      >
      > Cheerio,
      >
      > Frank Kliewe
      > PCGen Content Silverback

      Well, I think you're[1] going to an awful lot of trouble to address
      an issue that's created by your[1] own doing -- hung by your own
      petard, so to speak -- but I'm not writing the code, so best of luck.

      Michael

      [1] and by "you" I mean the PCGen developers, not you personally :-)

    • Derek J. Balling
      Message 44 of 44 , May 4, 2006
        On May 4, 2006, at 4:41 AM, pkukwork wrote:
        > Of course I'm mixing. Who is not ? I don't think many people run a
        > "purely SRD" campaign, and I think that most people use at least the
        > Complete Series from WotC in their campaign. At least this is what I
        > find when I speak to most people I know or on mailing lists...

        But if you're running the CMP files, you shouldn't ALSO be running
        the SRD files. You should be using the PHB/DMG/MM sets from CMP as
        well as whatever "addons" you're using.

        It's that mixing of SRD and non-SRD (and PHB/DMG/MM in this context
        are non-SRD as they're the CMP renditions of those books) that will
        always always be a pain/nightmare/bugfest.