Re: [pcgen] Re: Prettylst

  • Richard Bowers
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2006
      On 4/19/06, Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:

      > > > I would be curious to know why no release has been made on
      > > > Sourceforge
      > > > in quite a long time...
      >
      > > Because of lack of time of my part to prepare such a release. When I
      > > first
      > > release prettylst.pl to the general public, it was with the express
      > > warning
      > > that there it would not really be supported. I do what I can when I
      > > can.
      >
      > Can you put it in the repo? That would give those who have a chance to
      > work on it the opportunity to do so.

      Has someone had a chance to do this yet? If not, what's the right place to
      put it?

      On a related note - can we tracker something for prettylst, to add name
      changes for equipment to the list - changing Potion of (.*) to \1 (Potion),
      or whatever the right translations are for the changes that have been made
      in the past?

    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 22 , May 4, 2006
        Hi all,

        Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is not
        of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm than good).

        The latest version of prettylst is on the lstfilehelp Y! group, but is
        considered by Eric to be unsupported, all though of course there are
        plenty of data monkeys that use it and would be happy to try and
        answer questions.

        There is a Tracker area for Prettylst trackers (14 items open at the
        moment), feel free to add more as you see fit!

        Karianna

        > > > Because of lack of time of my part to prepare such a release. When I
        > > > first
        > > > release prettylst.pl to the general public, it was with the express
        > > > warning
        > > > that there it would not really be supported. I do what I can when I
        > > > can.
        > >
        > > Can you put it in the repo? That would give those who have a
        chance to
        > > work on it the opportunity to do so.
        > >

        > Has someone had a chance to do this yet? If not, what's the right
        place to
        > put it?
        >
        > On a related note - can we tracker something for prettylst, to add name
        > changes for equipment to the list - changing Potion of (.*) to \1
        (Potion),
        > or whatever the right translations are for the changes that have
        been made
        > in the past?

      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 22 , May 4, 2006
          Hi folks,

          > Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is not
          > of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm than good).

          that's bad news, especially considering how often it's referred to on
          PCGen's lists.

          Eric, do you perhaps have time to talk with me about what's the reasons for
          your opinion? I love perl programming, and I am working on understanding
          the lst files, so I might help getting prettylst back to work, if that's
          not hopeless.

          Susan
        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 22 , May 4, 2006
            Corrected location of file below, thanks Tir.

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is
            > not of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm
            > than good).
            >
            > The latest version of prettylst is on the pcgen_experimental Y!
            > group, but is considered by Eric to be unsupported, all though of
            > course there are plenty of data monkeys that use it and would be
            > happy to try and answer questions.
            >
            > There is a Tracker area for Prettylst trackers (14 items open at the
            > moment), feel free to add more as you see fit!
            >
            > Karianna
          • karianna03
            Message 5 of 22 , May 4, 2006
              Bumping to Eric,

              We'll happily take any and all assistance on this project :-)

              We're about a core group 0f 10-15 volnuteers supporting 1000's
              (probably 10,000s) of users!

              Karianna
              Chair Monkey

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

              > Hi folks,
              >
              > > Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is not
              > > of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm than
              good).

              > that's bad news, especially considering how often it's referred to on
              > PCGen's lists.
              >
              > Eric, do you perhaps have time to talk with me about what's the
              reasons for
              > your opinion? I love perl programming, and I am working on understanding
              > the lst files, so I might help getting prettylst back to work, if that's
              > not hopeless.
              >
              > Susan

            • pkukwork
              Message 6 of 22 , May 4, 2006
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                > Corrected location of file below, thanks Tir.
                >
                > > Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is
                > > not of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm
                > > than good).
                > >
                > > The latest version of prettylst is on the pcgen_experimental Y!
                > > group, but is considered by Eric to be unsupported, all though of
                > > course there are plenty of data monkeys that use it and would be
                > > happy to try and answer questions.
                > >
                > > There is a Tracker area for Prettylst trackers (14 items open at the
                > > moment), feel free to add more as you see fit!

                Hum, sorry to "complain again", but I went on the pcgen_experimental,
                in the files area
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen_experimental/files/Application%20Support/),
                and clicked on prettylst_1-35_build-561.zip.

                And got: "Document Not Found - The document you requested could not be
                found."

                Philippe
              • karianna03
                Message 7 of 22 , May 4, 2006
                  OK, that's just plain weird, I've done the same thing and get the
                  file, oh hang on a sec.... It's probably a permissions thing. I've
                  put a copy in the Files-->Campaign+Central of this group. _Please_
                  remember to backup all of your files before using prettylst, "Here be
                  Dragons".

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Corrected location of file below, thanks Tir.
                  > >
                  > > > Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is
                  > > > not of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm
                  > > > than good).
                  > > >
                  > > > The latest version of prettylst is on the pcgen_experimental Y!
                  > > > group, but is considered by Eric to be unsupported, all though of
                  > > > course there are plenty of data monkeys that use it and would be
                  > > > happy to try and answer questions.
                  > > >
                  > > > There is a Tracker area for Prettylst trackers (14 items open at the
                  > > > moment), feel free to add more as you see fit!
                  >
                  > Hum, sorry to "complain again", but I went on the pcgen_experimental,
                  > in the files area

                  > and clicked on prettylst_1-35_build-561.zip.
                  >
                  > And got: "Document Not Found - The document you requested could not be
                  > found."
                  >
                  > Philippe

                • Paul W. King
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 4, 2006
                    > OK, that's just plain weird, I've done the same thing and get the
                    > file, oh hang on a sec.... It's probably a permissions thing.

                    It probably is a permissions thing. I think to get any files off of
                    Experimental you have to be a member of the group.

                    Paul W. King
                    PR SB, BoD
                  • Eric Beaudoin
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 4, 2006
                      At 05:54 2006.05.04, Susan Dittmar wrote:
                      >Hi folks,
                      >
                      >> Eric beleives that Prettylst is at the end of its lifecycle and is not
                      >> of a quality for general public use (it would cause more harm than good).
                      >
                      >that's bad news, especially considering how often it's referred to on
                      >PCGen's lists.
                      >
                      >Eric, do you perhaps have time to talk with me about what's the reasons for
                      >your opinion? I love perl programming, and I am working on understanding
                      >the lst files, so I might help getting prettylst back to work, if that's
                      >not hopeless.
                      >
                      > Susan

                      Hi Susan, here's the message I sent yesterday to the dev and experimental list to answer a question from Kariana. I guess I should have copied the main group :-).

                      At 10:24 2006.05.03, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                      >Some users have raised a good point. Prettylst would go a long way to
                      >assisting users in migrating their homebrews from 5.8 to 5.10. Should
                      >we look to making this tool avaialbe to the masses? It would perhaps
                      >involve some work in order to 'production ready' the script...

                      prettylst.pl is already available to the masses. The latest beta has even been put on the Yahoo group by Tir. It is not however a tool that will allow you to go from 5.8 data to 5.10. Far to many very deep changes were made during that cycle. Also, it has never been intended to be used by the masses. If you don't know what you are doing, you may end up screwing everything up (I'm not called Space Monkey for nothing).

                      I still hope but never find the time to package a release. When I get a bit of time, I do either things that are needed right away or fix things that need to be fixed and never really get to putting together the doc and other stuff for a release. It has kind of become an eternal beta. As I said previously, I invite anybody to submit to me changes they make to it. Except for Tir a few times, I don't think nobody ever has. There is a repository for prettylst.pl since the first version, it's on my PC, and I'm still unwilling to loose the history by moving it elsewhere. This is a moot point really as I will not ignore any patch submitted to me unless it breaks the script in ways I can't fix.

                      It is good to understand that prettylst.pl was build to reformat lines in .lst files. It has evolve a bit from there but at the base, it is still what it is. Recent evolutions of the syntax and proposal for upcoming evolution make it likely that it will breaks in a very bad way soon. We are reaching the limit of the current design and only luck prevent it from falling apart completely. Just the recent addition of Unicode characters in .lst files without any ways of knowing which files are using Unicode nearly killed it. In short, it needs to be rewritten and not mush can be reused from it.

                      It is time for someone to write the next prettylst.pl. This one is a horse that gave us many years but that will soon need to be put out of his misery.

                      I'm very happy that some people found it useful all that time.

                      √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                      Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
                      <mailto:beaudoer@...>