NOT HAPPY !!! (Was: Re: [pcgen][bug] Willpower vs. Will - NOT working)

  • kigmatzomat
    Message 1 of 44 , May 3, 2006

      > A simple solution is to stick with one release for the duration of your
      > campaign.

      Simple for you, maybe, but if I used that logic I'd still be using the
      2.4 series. My campaign begain 2 months after 3.0 was released and is
      still going. I didn't find PCGen until the 2.5 series. I do try to
      stay with the "release" version but I've been through, what, twelve
      significant stable releases and three major overhauls.

      {rant}

      Each time there's a new stable I have to redo some of my LST files.
      WeaponProfs get renamed, feats I was .MODing get updated, hidden feats
      get renamed, variables removed, SAs change, etc. I swear that in the
      last ~3.5 years not ONCE have my LST files just worked from one stable
      release to the next. I can't count how often characters load with
      freaky errors and become unstable forcing you to rebuild from scratch.
      I've got a party of 8! How does this save me any time?

      Now I generally don't piss & moan about the changes because I
      understand why things were changed since I lurk here & on LSTHelp.
      The ONLY reason anyone IMC uses PCGen is because I keep updating the
      data files and recreating their characters for them. Which generally
      only lasts for 1-2 levels before there's another stable release.

      The explanation that "d20 is a moving target" worked fine for the
      first year or two but I run a 3.0/SRD game! I'm having trouble
      arguing against using one of the Excel character sheets. From a
      user-retention standpoint, can anyone explain why an otherwise mature
      application like PCGen rquires so much recreation of data files &
      characters? Imagine if MSWord 4 refused to open MSWord 3 documents!

      {/rant}

      I know this is high-level management stuff, the kinds of things that
      get no lovin' from the masses. But it would be nice if the unit tests
      included a smattering of house-rules scenarios; .MODed classes and
      feats, house PRCs that stack with base class special abilities (e.g.
      monk, ranger, rogue), some custom items, and characters that rely on
      those house rules. Make a policy that only bugs of certain Priority
      get to break backwards compatibility unless it's a new major releases
      (e.g. 6.0).

      And if Prettylst can handle the conversion then for the luv a pete
      push it a little harder. Would it kill anyone to put it on the PCGen
      download section next to the Alphas? I just did a search of the
      5.10RC docs and prettylst doesn't appear in them at all.

      James McP
      Who normally likes PCGen just fine
    • Derek J. Balling
      Message 44 of 44 , May 4, 2006
        On May 4, 2006, at 4:41 AM, pkukwork wrote:
        > Of course I'm mixing. Who is not ? I don't think many people run a
        > "purely SRD" campaign, and I think that most people use at least the
        > Complete Series from WotC in their campaign. At least this is what I
        > find when I speak to most people I know or on mailing lists...

        But if you're running the CMP files, you shouldn't ALSO be running
        the SRD files. You should be using the PHB/DMG/MM sets from CMP as
        well as whatever "addons" you're using.

        It's that mixing of SRD and non-SRD (and PHB/DMG/MM in this context
        are non-SRD as they're the CMP renditions of those books) that will
        always always be a pain/nightmare/bugfest.