Re: NOT HAPPY !!! (Was: Re: [pcgen][bug] Willpower vs. Will - NOT working)

  • Steven Gilroy
    Message 1 of 44 , May 3, 2006
      I understand refering Andrew to CMP for the issues with the CMP
      datasets, however this is a deeper issue, and one of the main issues
      that caused me to stop contributing to the project.

      Backwards compatability is and always has been a problem with PCGen,
      wether we are talking CMP Datasets or the standard PCGen Distributed
      Datasets. At one point, before switching primarily to eTools, I had
      completely stopped downloading new versions of PCGen because every time
      I did it broke 95% of my characters. It is very annoying to have to
      basically rebuild your characters just because of an update, especially
      when it is a revision and not even a minor version or major version update.

      --

      Steven Gilroy
      PCGen OS Lemur
      Message 44 of 44 , May 4, 2006
        On May 4, 2006, at 4:41 AM, pkukwork wrote:
        > Of course I'm mixing. Who is not ? I don't think many people run a
        > "purely SRD" campaign, and I think that most people use at least the
        > Complete Series from WotC in their campaign. At least this is what I
        > find when I speak to most people I know or on mailing lists...

        But if you're running the CMP files, you shouldn't ALSO be running
        the SRD files. You should be using the PHB/DMG/MM sets from CMP as
        well as whatever "addons" you're using.

        It's that mixing of SRD and non-SRD (and PHB/DMG/MM in this context
        are non-SRD as they're the CMP renditions of those books) that will
        always always be a pain/nightmare/bugfest.