Re: [pcgen] 5.10 PDF Output problem

  • Richard Bowers
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      On 5/3/06, pkukwork <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have the following problem with pdf output under 5.10. I get a
      > pop-up with the following message: "The entity name must immediately
      > follow the '&' in the entity reference."
      >
      > What's up ?
      >
      > Philippe

      In XML/HTML, there are things called "entities", which look like &
      (which is what is used for an ampersand). PCGen uses XML to translate to PDF
      format.

      There have been efforts lately to "protect", or "escape" ampersands in some
      of the output sheet tokens - the problem is that these can also cause
      problems, because it's only in XML and HTML that you want to see &
      instead of &, and because there are places that we want an escaped character
      in the text. You'll get this error if you use an ampersand (&) somewhere in
      a text field, where it isn't protected. You can work around it by either
      removing the ampersand, or replacing it with &.

      There are occasionally also errors with less than and greater than signs;
      these are < and >, respectively.

    • pkukwork
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2006
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bowers" <richard.bowers@...> wrote:

        > There have been efforts lately to "protect", or "escape" ampersands
        in some
        > of the output sheet tokens - the problem is that these can also cause
        > problems, because it's only in XML and HTML that you want to see &
        > instead of &, and because there are places that we want an escaped
        character
        > in the text. You'll get this error if you use an ampersand (&)
        somewhere in
        > a text field, where it isn't protected. You can work around it by either
        > removing the ampersand, or replacing it with &.

        Yes, however, I am not the one using the ampersand, PCGen has put it
        by itself in the file...

        Philippe
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2006
          Hi Philippe,
          On 4/05/2006 6:17 PM pkukwork wrote

          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bowers" <richard.bowers@...> wrote:
          >

          >>There have been efforts lately to "protect", or "escape" ampersands
          >>

          >in some
          >

          >>of the output sheet tokens - the problem is that these can also cause
          >>problems, because it's only in XML and HTML that you want to see &
          >>instead of &, and because there are places that we want an escaped
          >>

          >character
          >

          >>in the text. You'll get this error if you use an ampersand (&)
          >>

          >somewhere in
          >

          >>a text field, where it isn't protected. You can work around it by either
          >>removing the ampersand, or replacing it with &.
          >>

          >Yes, however, I am not the one using the ampersand, PCGen has put it
          >by itself in the file...

          The ampersand will come from one of the entries on the description tab
          of your character. Yes it is a bug that it causes your output to break
          though. I have registered a new bug for you -
          <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1481697&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

          Cheers,
          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code Gibbon
        • pkukwork
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006

            > The ampersand will come from one of the entries on the description tab
            > of your character. Yes it is a bug that it causes your output to break
            > though. I have registered a new bug for you -

            <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1481697&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

            Thanks, however, the problem is more serious. It is not only in the
            description tab, but also in every description field. I have done some
            testing, but an ampersand in the description of the deity (why is that
            in the character sheet, by the way ?), or in the description of a feat...

            That makes it a really serious bug, IMHO.

            Philippe