5.10 PDF Output problem

  • pkukwork
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      Hello,

      I have the following problem with pdf output under 5.10. I get a
      pop-up with the following message: "The entity name must immediately
      follow the '&' in the entity reference."

      What's up ?

      Philippe
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        Hi there,

        Which PDF OS are you using? Also, do you have the '&' character in
        the Notes and/or Description etc sections?

        Karianna

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I have the following problem with pdf output under 5.10. I get a
        > pop-up with the following message: "The entity name must immediately
        > follow the '&' in the entity reference."
        >
        > What's up ?
        >
        > Philippe

      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:32:57PM -0000, pkukwork wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I have the following problem with pdf output under 5.10. I get a
          > pop-up with the following message: "The entity name must immediately
          > follow the '&' in the entity reference."
          >
          > What's up ?

          you've used the character & somewhere.

          andrew
          --
          Taurus: (April. 20 - May 20)
          You'll be well along the path to a lifetime of happiness when the
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            On 5/3/06, pkukwork <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I have the following problem with pdf output under 5.10. I get a
            > pop-up with the following message: "The entity name must immediately
            > follow the '&' in the entity reference."
            >
            > What's up ?
            >
            > Philippe

            In XML/HTML, there are things called "entities", which look like &
            (which is what is used for an ampersand). PCGen uses XML to translate to PDF
            format.

            There have been efforts lately to "protect", or "escape" ampersands in some
            of the output sheet tokens - the problem is that these can also cause
            problems, because it's only in XML and HTML that you want to see &
            instead of &, and because there are places that we want an escaped character
            in the text. You'll get this error if you use an ampersand (&) somewhere in
            a text field, where it isn't protected. You can work around it by either
            removing the ampersand, or replacing it with &.

            There are occasionally also errors with less than and greater than signs;
            these are < and >, respectively.

          • pkukwork
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2006
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bowers" <richard.bowers@...> wrote:

              > There have been efforts lately to "protect", or "escape" ampersands
              in some
              > of the output sheet tokens - the problem is that these can also cause
              > problems, because it's only in XML and HTML that you want to see &
              > instead of &, and because there are places that we want an escaped
              character
              > in the text. You'll get this error if you use an ampersand (&)
              somewhere in
              > a text field, where it isn't protected. You can work around it by either
              > removing the ampersand, or replacing it with &.

              Yes, however, I am not the one using the ampersand, PCGen has put it
              by itself in the file...

              Philippe
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                Hi Philippe,
                On 4/05/2006 6:17 PM pkukwork wrote

                >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bowers" <richard.bowers@...> wrote:
                >

                >>There have been efforts lately to "protect", or "escape" ampersands
                >>

                >in some
                >

                >>of the output sheet tokens - the problem is that these can also cause
                >>problems, because it's only in XML and HTML that you want to see &
                >>instead of &, and because there are places that we want an escaped
                >>

                >character
                >

                >>in the text. You'll get this error if you use an ampersand (&)
                >>

                >somewhere in
                >

                >>a text field, where it isn't protected. You can work around it by either
                >>removing the ampersand, or replacing it with &.
                >>

                >Yes, however, I am not the one using the ampersand, PCGen has put it
                >by itself in the file...

                The ampersand will come from one of the entries on the description tab
                of your character. Yes it is a bug that it causes your output to break
                though. I have registered a new bug for you -
                <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1481697&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                Cheers,
                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code Gibbon
              • pkukwork
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2006

                  > The ampersand will come from one of the entries on the description tab
                  > of your character. Yes it is a bug that it causes your output to break
                  > though. I have registered a new bug for you -

                  <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1481697&group_id=25576&atid=384719>

                  Thanks, however, the problem is more serious. It is not only in the
                  description tab, but also in every description field. I have done some
                  testing, but an ampersand in the description of the deity (why is that
                  in the character sheet, by the way ?), or in the description of a feat...

                  That makes it a really serious bug, IMHO.

                  Philippe