NOT HAPPY !!! (Was: Re: [pcgen][bug] Willpower vs. Will - NOT working)

  • pkukwork
    Message 1 of 44 , May 3, 2006

      > Latest Release version.
      >
      > Load up my stuff, and I find that unless I change all the will saves
      > checks to willpower save checks all my will saves are 0. I know this
      > isn't what is supposed to happen, cause according to the release notes
      > all WILLPOWER was supposed to be changed to Will.

      I had not noticed this, and I know that it is not nice to complain
      that way about a free software maintained by dedicated fans, but I
      find it really not acceptable to make such changes.

      I am using data sets that were bought from CMP. Now, to get PCGen to
      work, I ned to go over all that data and change by hand all the
      Willpower to WILL ?

      Come on, who makes that kind of decision ? What's the point ? How can
      you change something like that preventing backwards compatibility for
      so many data sets, including commercial ones ?

      To be honest, I was already annoyed in the past with continual changes
      to names here and there, like pen (ink) to ink pen, etc. I maintain
      80+ character sheets and beleive me, this is really annoying when the
      items simply disappear from the sheets on reloading.

      By the way it happened again on this version with "oil of magic
      weapon" becoming "Potion (Oil of Magic Weapon)". Many character have
      this and when I load them, these items just disappear, and I need to
      open the pcg file tos ee how many they had, buy them again, etc...

      All of what for what, exactly ?

      But this thing about Willpower to WILL is really the most annoying one
      so far. Will someone have the courage to epxlain that kind of decision ?

      For me, it is really a very very big bug of the release.

      Thanks in advance,

      Philippe
    • Derek J. Balling
      Message 44 of 44 , May 4, 2006
        On May 4, 2006, at 4:41 AM, pkukwork wrote:
        > Of course I'm mixing. Who is not ? I don't think many people run a
        > "purely SRD" campaign, and I think that most people use at least the
        > Complete Series from WotC in their campaign. At least this is what I
        > find when I speak to most people I know or on mailing lists...

        But if you're running the CMP files, you shouldn't ALSO be running
        the SRD files. You should be using the PHB/DMG/MM sets from CMP as
        well as whatever "addons" you're using.

        It's that mixing of SRD and non-SRD (and PHB/DMG/MM in this context
        are non-SRD as they're the CMP renditions of those books) that will
        always always be a pain/nightmare/bugfest.