Problems loading Complete RSRD.. 5.10

  • vgiron34
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2006
      After a very long time loading the Complete RSRD files (about 8
      minutes), I tried to open a new Character Sheet. Immediatly
      PCGen "Freezes".

      The Task Manager show no activity, and it says that PCGen is "Active".
      However, PCGen window blanks and nothing can be done.

      I have Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

      Thanks.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2006
        What version of java do you have installed? How are you launching PCGen (from the *.bat from the *.jar)?

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2006
          I don't think that's his problem, as I have it as well, and just (after the
          fact) just updates to Java ver1.50-06-b05 in an attempt to fix the problem.
          As near as I can figure it out it has to do with the automatic download of
          one of three security patches on either the 14th or the 15th. All four
          versions of PcGen (5.6.1; 5.8.1; 5.9.8; 5.10.0.RC1) are having problems
          with both the open new and open saved characters. The Iconforge program is
          having the same problem as is one program by Heavy Metal. Its possible
          that its the reason that TortoiseSVN doesn't work. I'm just waiting on the
          next update or instructions on taking the three off as the restore function
          seems to be crippled as well.

          Terry

          On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 04:08:33 -0000, you wrote:

          >After a very long time loading the Complete RSRD files (about 8
          >minutes), I tried to open a new Character Sheet. Immediatly
          >PCGen "Freezes".
          >
          >The Task Manager show no activity, and it says that PCGen is "Active".
          >However, PCGen window blanks and nothing can be done.
          >
          >I have Windows XP, Service Pack 2.
          >
          >Thanks.

        • vgiron34
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
            Paul, Terry thanks for your support:

            The Java version in my computer is:

            java version "1.5.0_06"
            Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)

            I've always run the *.jar files.

            I've been trying loading different sources, and I've found that:
            1) Necromancer Games - Original Spell Name Compedium; 3.5 RSRD Epic;
            and 3.5 RSRD Epic Psionics sends several "Cannot apply .MOD;
            PObject '.. etc .. " messages after loading.

            2) When I try to load the COMPLETE 3.5 RSRD, as well as when I try to
            load ALL the PARTIAL 3.5 RSRD documents, PCGen never "ends loading
            them". (There is a "Loading Sources" in the status bar, and the
            Licence Agreement Window and Sponsor Window are neve shown).

            After that, my PCGen freezes..

            If I load just som PARTIAL documents (or any CAMPAING document set),
            PCGen works fine.

            Best Regards,
            -Virgilio

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

            > I don't think that's his problem, as I have it as well, and just
            (after the
            > fact) just updates to Java ver1.50-06-b05 in an attempt to fix the
            problem.
            > As near as I can figure it out it has to do with the automatic
            download of
            > one of three security patches on either the 14th or the 15th. All
            four
            > versions of PcGen (5.6.1; 5.8.1; 5.9.8; 5.10.0.RC1) are having
            problems
            > with both the open new and open saved characters. The Iconforge
            program is
            > having the same problem as is one program by Heavy Metal. Its
            possible
            > that its the reason that TortoiseSVN doesn't work. I'm just
            waiting on the
            > next update or instructions on taking the three off as the restore
            function
            > seems to be crippled as well.
            >
            > Terry
            >
            > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 00:44:55 -0400, you wrote:
            >
            > >What version of java do you have installed? How are you launching
            PCGen (from the *.bat from the *.jar)?

            > >Paul W. King
            > >PR SB, BoD
            > >
            > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 04:08:33 -0000, you wrote:
            >
            > >After a very long time loading the Complete RSRD files (about 8
            > >minutes), I tried to open a new Character Sheet. Immediatly
            > >PCGen "Freezes".
            > >
            > >The Task Manager show no activity, and it says that PCGen
            is "Active".
            > >However, PCGen window blanks and nothing can be done.
            > >
            > >I have Windows XP, Service Pack 2.
            > >
            > >Thanks.

          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
              On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:19:22PM -0000, vgiron34 wrote:
              > Paul, Terry thanks for your support:
              >
              > The Java version in my computer is:
              >
              > java version "1.5.0_06"
              > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
              > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)
              >
              > I've always run the *.jar files.

              That's you're problem. Running the jar file means that java is limited
              to using less memory than it needs to load all the data.

              andrew
              --
              Aries: (March 21 - April 19)
              A harrowing struggle in which a masked assailant tries to
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25, 2006
                Andrew:

                Thank you!
                That solved the problem!