Re: Deprecated tag converter

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2006
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Bebber" <bebberd@...> wrote:

      > is there a tool/script that can be run upon an existing set of
      Homebrew
      > files that replaces depreciated tags with the recommended
      replacement?

      prettylst.pl comes darn close, in that it warns you what the
      deprecated syntax is. It's always tricky for any automated process
      to guess what you "mean" by a given tag syntax.

      On the other hand, PCGen usually runs two different versions that
      are publically available; the production release -- currently 5.8.1,
      soon to be 5.10 -- and the development release -- currently 5.9.8,
      should become 5.11(?) -- and with the rapid changes over the past
      few versions, what may be deprecated syntax for 5.9.8 may be
      required syntax in 5.8.1. (And what may be required syntax in 5.9.8
      may not even exist in 5.8.1!)

      Perhaps if we do get some Perl monkeys to step up and help with
      prettylst, it can grow to the point where it can attempt to do such
      a thing. Me, I've simply developed several minor, highly customized
      (e.g., not really portable) scripts that use prettylst to help with
      my dataset development.