[trackered] Re: [BUG] Bug since ver 5.9.6: Monster Levels broken?

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
      [ 1465103 ] Bug since ver 5.9.6: Monster Levels broken
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1465103&group_id=25576&atid=384719

      Paul W. King
      PR SB, BoD
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
        On 4/5/06 10:33 AM, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

        > I have been having a problem with the program and monster levels ever
        > since version 5.9.6 and later.
        >
        > Example:
        >
        > Create any monster with more than one hit die (ogre and Annis Hag are
        > the two I've been using).
        >
        > The ogre will gain 6 monster levels, asking you for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
        > etc. hit dice over again twice. You will see six Giant levels in the
        > box to the right on the summary tab.
        >
        > Removing any time a monster level is removed, there is an extra
        > monster level in the hit dice modifier modal box with "0" hit points,
        > and it cannot be modified.
        >
        > The Annis hag will gain TWELVE levels of Giant!
        >
        > I haven't tested extensively, but this may extend to all races with
        > levels. Can someone test and verify this for me?

        Hi Henry
        I have not been able to reproduce this problem. Could you give a step by
        step of what you are doing? Also, how are you installing PCGen? Are you
        using .ini files from previous installations?
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
          On 4/5/06, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

          > On 4/5/06 10:33 AM, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I have been having a problem with the program and monster levels ever
          > > since version 5.9.6 and later.
          >
          > Hi Henry
          > I have not been able to reproduce this problem. Could you give a step
          > by
          > step of what you are doing? Also, how are you installing PCGen? Are you
          > using .ini files from previous installations?

          I was able to reproduce this with 5.9.6 (clean install, new ini file, using
          3.0/srd), but not with the pre-release 5.9.8 install.

          To encounter the problem in 5.9.6 - I created a paladin and gave him a
          special mount - a horse, I forget which flavor of horse. It created a horse
          with 6 HD, levels 1-2 of Animal, and levels 0-4 of Animal.

          Richard

        • Thomas Clegg
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
            Eddy,

            I'm hoping it's just me, but I'm seeing something similar working on a monster kit for DW2 [uses MSRD].

            The kit for the basic creature has no problem, but when I go from scratch and add a kit that makes the 3HD Humanoid creature into a 3rd Level Fast Hero I get the talent popups several times, each one asking as if it were the next stage of the Talent Tree (counting as Prereqs, etc.....).

            Also, the creature has two feats that were chosen from those trees, but even if I give then with FEAT:XXX<tab>FREE:YES it pops up the chooser for that talent. Is there a way to count a Given feat as a chosen one at a particular level and not popup the chooser?

            Tom

            PS: all I have extra in the Advanced kit over the Basic kit for the creature is:
            CLASS:Fast<tab>SUBCLASS:Fast Hero<tab>LEVEL:3

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
              On 4/5/06 2:49 PM, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:

              > I'm hoping it's just me, but I'm seeing something similar working on a monster
              > kit for DW2 [uses MSRD].

              Separate problem, what you are seeing is a known issue with kits.

              > The kit for the basic creature has no problem, but when I go from scratch and
              > add a kit that makes the 3HD Humanoid creature into a 3rd Level Fast Hero I
              > get the talent popups several times, each one asking as if it were the next
              > stage of the Talent Tree (counting as Prereqs, etc.....).

              You should be seeing each popup exactly twice. As I understand the way this
              works it does this to build a duplicate character so the prerequisites have
              something to compare against. I don't know details but Aaron says he has not
              found a way to avoid the nessesity of it at this time.

              > Also, the creature has two feats that were chosen from those trees, but even
              > if I give then with FEAT:XXX<tab>FREE:YES it pops up the chooser for that
              > talent. Is there a way to count a Given feat as a chosen one at a particular
              > level and not popup the chooser?

              There is a way to set specific choices for a kit such as this, the
              LEVELABILITY which has not yet made it into the docs yet.

              To get an idea gow to use it look at the Troll Hunter kit in the
              rsrd_kits_races_s_t_extras.lst file. This kit adds 6 levels of Ranger to a
              Troll and sets all the ranger options so no pop ups appear.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                > On 4/5/06 2:49 PM, "Thomas Clegg"
                > <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I'm hoping it's just me, but I'm seeing something
                > similar working on a monster
                > > kit for DW2 [uses MSRD].
                >
                > Separate problem, what you are seeing is a known
                > issue with kits.
                >
                > > The kit for the basic creature has no problem, but
                > when I go from scratch and
                > > add a kit that makes the 3HD Humanoid creature
                > into a 3rd Level Fast Hero I
                > > get the talent popups several times, each one
                > asking as if it were the next
                > > stage of the Talent Tree (counting as Prereqs,
                > etc.....).
                >
                > You should be seeing each popup exactly twice. As I
                > understand the way this
                > works it does this to build a duplicate character so
                > the prerequisites have
                > something to compare against. I don't know details
                > but Aaron says he has not
                > found a way to avoid the nessesity of it at this
                > time.
                >
                > > Also, the creature has two feats that were chosen
                > from those trees, but even
                > > if I give then with FEAT:XXX<tab>FREE:YES it pops
                > up the chooser for that
                > > talent. Is there a way to count a Given feat as a
                > chosen one at a particular
                > > level and not popup the chooser?
                >
                > There is a way to set specific choices for a kit
                > such as this, the
                > LEVELABILITY which has not yet made it into the docs
                > yet.
                >
                > To get an idea gow to use it look at the Troll
                > Hunter kit in the
                > rsrd_kits_races_s_t_extras.lst file. This kit adds 6
                > levels of Ranger to a
                > Troll and sets all the ranger options so no pop ups
                > appear.

                Basically everything Eddy said is true. One
                clarification I should make is that the LEVELABILITY
                tag will work for any ADD: based popup that is granted
                directly from a level line. Any ADD: popup granted by
                anything else including a Feat granted by a class
                level line will pop twice.

                I have added a new feature to allow specifying choices
                for TEMPLATE:CHOOSEs. This was added in 5.9.7 I
                believe. Unfortunately it only works for
                TEMPLATE:CHOOSEs granted from a template applied by
                the kit. The syntax for this is not yet in the docs
                but it is very simple.
                From a kit:
                TEMPLATE:<template to grant>[TEMPLATE:<chosen
                template>]repeat as needed.

                I am working on a more general way to handle this but
                unfortunately it will be post 5.10.

                -Aaron

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • henrythelesser
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Hi, Eddy! Thanks for the attention.

                  Step 1: Download copy of pcgen598_partial.zip from one of the mirror
                  sites (for me I used the Arizona location).

                  Step 2: Unzip into the pcgen598 directory. Using no .ini files, only a
                  fresh unzip.

                  Step 3: Run PCGen.bat. Choose folder for Options.ini as PCGenDir
                  (default). Turn off OGL and sponsor messages.

                  Step 4: Load only the RSRD resource (using the "complete RSRD"
                  option). Using 3.5e default game mode.

                  Step 5: New Character.

                  Step 6: On Summary Tab, Enter 10 for all stats (changing from 0),
                  Enter Name Blah, Alignment Neutral Evil, Race Ogre.

                  Step 7: Click on anything other than "Race" drop-down box. Modal box
                  asks for hit points for each level. Asks for 2nd level, then 3rd, then
                  4th, then 1st again, then 2nd again, and stops.

                  Step 8: Look at summary of levels on the right. There are six levels
                  of "Giant."

                  Messages in CMD.Exe box:

                  Upon source load:

                  DAMAGEMULT deprecated. Tag was 1=1,2=1.5 in Wield Category of
                  miscinfo.lst from
                  the 35e Game Mode. DAMAGEMULT broken, needs re-implementing
                  Error parsing wield catrgory:miscinfo.lst from the 35e Game
                  Mode:DAMAGEMULT:1=1,
                  2=1.5"

                  When adding giant levels, I get:
                  Could not find campaign by filename:
                  ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0
                  ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0

                  Any clues there? I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong from a
                  fresh download, and following the same procedure with any previous
                  version of PCGen (recently downloaded 5.8.1 on this computer again to
                  check) is doing differently.

                  If this forum accepted screen shots, I'd upload a few.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                    On 4/5/06 4:28 PM, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Eddy! Thanks for the attention.
                    >
                    > Step 1: Download copy of pcgen598_partial.zip from one of the mirror
                    > sites (for me I used the Arizona location).

                    I'll bet the problem is limited to the partial release package, could you
                    download the full version and give it a go? If it works for you we'll know
                    the issue is how the partial package is put together. This does not surprise
                    me as there have been recent discussions about problems with it due to the
                    fact that the code team is moving the code for the LST tokens out of the
                    main pcgen.jar and into the plugins directory.

                    Trackered:
                    [ 1465317 ] Monster Levels broken in pcgen598_partial.zip
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1465317&group_id=
                    25576&atid=384719>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                      --- henrythelesser <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Eddy! Thanks for the attention.
                      >
                      > Step 1: Download copy of pcgen598_partial.zip from
                      > one of the mirror
                      > sites (for me I used the Arizona location).
                      >
                      > Step 2: Unzip into the pcgen598 directory. Using no
                      > .ini files, only a
                      > fresh unzip.
                      >
                      > Step 3: Run PCGen.bat. Choose folder for Options.ini
                      > as PCGenDir
                      > (default). Turn off OGL and sponsor messages.
                      >
                      > Step 4: Load only the RSRD resource (using the
                      > "complete RSRD"
                      > option). Using 3.5e default game mode.
                      >
                      > Step 5: New Character.
                      >
                      > Step 6: On Summary Tab, Enter 10 for all stats
                      > (changing from 0),
                      > Enter Name Blah, Alignment Neutral Evil, Race Ogre.
                      >
                      > Step 7: Click on anything other than "Race"
                      > drop-down box. Modal box
                      > asks for hit points for each level. Asks for 2nd
                      > level, then 3rd, then
                      > 4th, then 1st again, then 2nd again, and stops.
                      >
                      > Step 8: Look at summary of levels on the right.
                      > There are six levels
                      > of "Giant."
                      >
                      > Messages in CMD.Exe box:
                      >
                      > Upon source load:
                      >
                      > DAMAGEMULT deprecated. Tag was 1=1,2=1.5 in Wield
                      > Category of
                      > miscinfo.lst from
                      > the 35e Game Mode. DAMAGEMULT broken, needs
                      > re-implementing
                      > Error parsing wield catrgory:miscinfo.lst from the
                      > 35e Game
                      > Mode:DAMAGEMULT:1=1,
                      > 2=1.5"
                      >
                      > When adding giant levels, I get:
                      > Could not find campaign by filename:
                      > ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0
                      > ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0
                      >
                      > Any clues there? I'm not understanding what I'm
                      > doing wrong from a
                      > fresh download, and following the same procedure
                      > with any previous
                      > version of PCGen (recently downloaded 5.8.1 on this
                      > computer again to
                      > check) is doing differently.
                      >
                      > If this forum accepted screen shots, I'd upload a
                      > few.

                      OK I think I may have seen this problem in the past.
                      I think the problem is with step 7. What I have
                      noticed is that if you click on the class dropdown
                      this problem presents itself. The problem does not
                      happen if you click on player name (I just confirmed
                      this).

                      This is definately a code bug.

                      -Aaron

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • henrythelesser
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 6, 2006
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

                        > OK I think I may have seen this problem in the past.
                        > I think the problem is with step 7. What I have
                        > noticed is that if you click on the class dropdown
                        > this problem presents itself. The problem does not
                        > happen if you click on player name (I just confirmed
                        > this).
                        >
                        > This is definately a code bug.

                        Cool! I'm glad it's not my hallucinations again. ;-)

                        -Henry