[BUG] Bug since ver 5.9.6: Monster Levels broken?

  • henrythelesser
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
      I have been having a problem with the program and monster levels ever
      since version 5.9.6 and later.

      Example:

      Create any monster with more than one hit die (ogre and Annis Hag are
      the two I've been using).

      The ogre will gain 6 monster levels, asking you for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
      etc. hit dice over again twice. You will see six Giant levels in the
      box to the right on the summary tab.

      Removing any time a monster level is removed, there is an extra
      monster level in the hit dice modifier modal box with "0" hit points,
      and it cannot be modified.

      The Annis hag will gain TWELVE levels of Giant!

      I haven't tested extensively, but this may extend to all races with
      levels. Can someone test and verify this for me?

      Thank you!

      Henry Link
    • henrythelesser
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

        > I have been having a problem with the program and monster levels ever
        > since version 5.9.6 and later.

        A couple of additional notes:

        I've tried this on a clean install of 596, 597, and 598 with the same
        results, using the RSRD data set.

        I've not had the problem on any 5.9 version lower than that, and not
        on 5.8.1, which is my version I use for getting "work" done.

        -H
      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
          [ 1465103 ] Bug since ver 5.9.6: Monster Levels broken
          http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1465103&group_id=25576&atid=384719

          Paul W. King
          PR SB, BoD
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
            On 4/5/06 10:33 AM, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

            > I have been having a problem with the program and monster levels ever
            > since version 5.9.6 and later.
            >
            > Example:
            >
            > Create any monster with more than one hit die (ogre and Annis Hag are
            > the two I've been using).
            >
            > The ogre will gain 6 monster levels, asking you for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
            > etc. hit dice over again twice. You will see six Giant levels in the
            > box to the right on the summary tab.
            >
            > Removing any time a monster level is removed, there is an extra
            > monster level in the hit dice modifier modal box with "0" hit points,
            > and it cannot be modified.
            >
            > The Annis hag will gain TWELVE levels of Giant!
            >
            > I haven't tested extensively, but this may extend to all races with
            > levels. Can someone test and verify this for me?

            Hi Henry
            I have not been able to reproduce this problem. Could you give a step by
            step of what you are doing? Also, how are you installing PCGen? Are you
            using .ini files from previous installations?
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
              On 4/5/06, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

              > On 4/5/06 10:33 AM, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I have been having a problem with the program and monster levels ever
              > > since version 5.9.6 and later.
              >
              > Hi Henry
              > I have not been able to reproduce this problem. Could you give a step
              > by
              > step of what you are doing? Also, how are you installing PCGen? Are you
              > using .ini files from previous installations?

              I was able to reproduce this with 5.9.6 (clean install, new ini file, using
              3.0/srd), but not with the pre-release 5.9.8 install.

              To encounter the problem in 5.9.6 - I created a paladin and gave him a
              special mount - a horse, I forget which flavor of horse. It created a horse
              with 6 HD, levels 1-2 of Animal, and levels 0-4 of Animal.

              Richard

            • Thomas Clegg
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                Eddy,

                I'm hoping it's just me, but I'm seeing something similar working on a monster kit for DW2 [uses MSRD].

                The kit for the basic creature has no problem, but when I go from scratch and add a kit that makes the 3HD Humanoid creature into a 3rd Level Fast Hero I get the talent popups several times, each one asking as if it were the next stage of the Talent Tree (counting as Prereqs, etc.....).

                Also, the creature has two feats that were chosen from those trees, but even if I give then with FEAT:XXX<tab>FREE:YES it pops up the chooser for that talent. Is there a way to count a Given feat as a chosen one at a particular level and not popup the chooser?

                Tom

                PS: all I have extra in the Advanced kit over the Basic kit for the creature is:
                CLASS:Fast<tab>SUBCLASS:Fast Hero<tab>LEVEL:3

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                  On 4/5/06 2:49 PM, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:

                  > I'm hoping it's just me, but I'm seeing something similar working on a monster
                  > kit for DW2 [uses MSRD].

                  Separate problem, what you are seeing is a known issue with kits.

                  > The kit for the basic creature has no problem, but when I go from scratch and
                  > add a kit that makes the 3HD Humanoid creature into a 3rd Level Fast Hero I
                  > get the talent popups several times, each one asking as if it were the next
                  > stage of the Talent Tree (counting as Prereqs, etc.....).

                  You should be seeing each popup exactly twice. As I understand the way this
                  works it does this to build a duplicate character so the prerequisites have
                  something to compare against. I don't know details but Aaron says he has not
                  found a way to avoid the nessesity of it at this time.

                  > Also, the creature has two feats that were chosen from those trees, but even
                  > if I give then with FEAT:XXX<tab>FREE:YES it pops up the chooser for that
                  > talent. Is there a way to count a Given feat as a chosen one at a particular
                  > level and not popup the chooser?

                  There is a way to set specific choices for a kit such as this, the
                  LEVELABILITY which has not yet made it into the docs yet.

                  To get an idea gow to use it look at the Troll Hunter kit in the
                  rsrd_kits_races_s_t_extras.lst file. This kit adds 6 levels of Ranger to a
                  Troll and sets all the ranger options so no pop ups appear.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                    --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                    > On 4/5/06 2:49 PM, "Thomas Clegg"
                    > <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm hoping it's just me, but I'm seeing something
                    > similar working on a monster
                    > > kit for DW2 [uses MSRD].
                    >
                    > Separate problem, what you are seeing is a known
                    > issue with kits.
                    >
                    > > The kit for the basic creature has no problem, but
                    > when I go from scratch and
                    > > add a kit that makes the 3HD Humanoid creature
                    > into a 3rd Level Fast Hero I
                    > > get the talent popups several times, each one
                    > asking as if it were the next
                    > > stage of the Talent Tree (counting as Prereqs,
                    > etc.....).
                    >
                    > You should be seeing each popup exactly twice. As I
                    > understand the way this
                    > works it does this to build a duplicate character so
                    > the prerequisites have
                    > something to compare against. I don't know details
                    > but Aaron says he has not
                    > found a way to avoid the nessesity of it at this
                    > time.
                    >
                    > > Also, the creature has two feats that were chosen
                    > from those trees, but even
                    > > if I give then with FEAT:XXX<tab>FREE:YES it pops
                    > up the chooser for that
                    > > talent. Is there a way to count a Given feat as a
                    > chosen one at a particular
                    > > level and not popup the chooser?
                    >
                    > There is a way to set specific choices for a kit
                    > such as this, the
                    > LEVELABILITY which has not yet made it into the docs
                    > yet.
                    >
                    > To get an idea gow to use it look at the Troll
                    > Hunter kit in the
                    > rsrd_kits_races_s_t_extras.lst file. This kit adds 6
                    > levels of Ranger to a
                    > Troll and sets all the ranger options so no pop ups
                    > appear.

                    Basically everything Eddy said is true. One
                    clarification I should make is that the LEVELABILITY
                    tag will work for any ADD: based popup that is granted
                    directly from a level line. Any ADD: popup granted by
                    anything else including a Feat granted by a class
                    level line will pop twice.

                    I have added a new feature to allow specifying choices
                    for TEMPLATE:CHOOSEs. This was added in 5.9.7 I
                    believe. Unfortunately it only works for
                    TEMPLATE:CHOOSEs granted from a template applied by
                    the kit. The syntax for this is not yet in the docs
                    but it is very simple.
                    From a kit:
                    TEMPLATE:<template to grant>[TEMPLATE:<chosen
                    template>]repeat as needed.

                    I am working on a more general way to handle this but
                    unfortunately it will be post 5.10.

                    -Aaron

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • henrythelesser
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                      Hi, Eddy! Thanks for the attention.

                      Step 1: Download copy of pcgen598_partial.zip from one of the mirror
                      sites (for me I used the Arizona location).

                      Step 2: Unzip into the pcgen598 directory. Using no .ini files, only a
                      fresh unzip.

                      Step 3: Run PCGen.bat. Choose folder for Options.ini as PCGenDir
                      (default). Turn off OGL and sponsor messages.

                      Step 4: Load only the RSRD resource (using the "complete RSRD"
                      option). Using 3.5e default game mode.

                      Step 5: New Character.

                      Step 6: On Summary Tab, Enter 10 for all stats (changing from 0),
                      Enter Name Blah, Alignment Neutral Evil, Race Ogre.

                      Step 7: Click on anything other than "Race" drop-down box. Modal box
                      asks for hit points for each level. Asks for 2nd level, then 3rd, then
                      4th, then 1st again, then 2nd again, and stops.

                      Step 8: Look at summary of levels on the right. There are six levels
                      of "Giant."

                      Messages in CMD.Exe box:

                      Upon source load:

                      DAMAGEMULT deprecated. Tag was 1=1,2=1.5 in Wield Category of
                      miscinfo.lst from
                      the 35e Game Mode. DAMAGEMULT broken, needs re-implementing
                      Error parsing wield catrgory:miscinfo.lst from the 35e Game
                      Mode:DAMAGEMULT:1=1,
                      2=1.5"

                      When adding giant levels, I get:
                      Could not find campaign by filename:
                      ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0
                      ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0

                      Any clues there? I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong from a
                      fresh download, and following the same procedure with any previous
                      version of PCGen (recently downloaded 5.8.1 on this computer again to
                      check) is doing differently.

                      If this forum accepted screen shots, I'd upload a few.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                        On 4/5/06 4:28 PM, "henrythelesser" <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, Eddy! Thanks for the attention.
                        >
                        > Step 1: Download copy of pcgen598_partial.zip from one of the mirror
                        > sites (for me I used the Arizona location).

                        I'll bet the problem is limited to the partial release package, could you
                        download the full version and give it a go? If it works for you we'll know
                        the issue is how the partial package is put together. This does not surprise
                        me as there have been recent discussions about problems with it due to the
                        fact that the code team is moving the code for the LST tokens out of the
                        main pcgen.jar and into the plugins directory.

                        Trackered:
                        [ 1465317 ] Monster Levels broken in pcgen598_partial.zip
                        <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1465317&group_id=
                        25576&atid=384719>

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                          --- henrythelesser <henrythelesser@...> wrote:

                          > Hi, Eddy! Thanks for the attention.
                          >
                          > Step 1: Download copy of pcgen598_partial.zip from
                          > one of the mirror
                          > sites (for me I used the Arizona location).
                          >
                          > Step 2: Unzip into the pcgen598 directory. Using no
                          > .ini files, only a
                          > fresh unzip.
                          >
                          > Step 3: Run PCGen.bat. Choose folder for Options.ini
                          > as PCGenDir
                          > (default). Turn off OGL and sponsor messages.
                          >
                          > Step 4: Load only the RSRD resource (using the
                          > "complete RSRD"
                          > option). Using 3.5e default game mode.
                          >
                          > Step 5: New Character.
                          >
                          > Step 6: On Summary Tab, Enter 10 for all stats
                          > (changing from 0),
                          > Enter Name Blah, Alignment Neutral Evil, Race Ogre.
                          >
                          > Step 7: Click on anything other than "Race"
                          > drop-down box. Modal box
                          > asks for hit points for each level. Asks for 2nd
                          > level, then 3rd, then
                          > 4th, then 1st again, then 2nd again, and stops.
                          >
                          > Step 8: Look at summary of levels on the right.
                          > There are six levels
                          > of "Giant."
                          >
                          > Messages in CMD.Exe box:
                          >
                          > Upon source load:
                          >
                          > DAMAGEMULT deprecated. Tag was 1=1,2=1.5 in Wield
                          > Category of
                          > miscinfo.lst from
                          > the 35e Game Mode. DAMAGEMULT broken, needs
                          > re-implementing
                          > Error parsing wield catrgory:miscinfo.lst from the
                          > 35e Game
                          > Mode:DAMAGEMULT:1=1,
                          > 2=1.5"
                          >
                          > When adding giant levels, I get:
                          > Could not find campaign by filename:
                          > ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0
                          > ERROR: could not find class/level info for Giant/0
                          >
                          > Any clues there? I'm not understanding what I'm
                          > doing wrong from a
                          > fresh download, and following the same procedure
                          > with any previous
                          > version of PCGen (recently downloaded 5.8.1 on this
                          > computer again to
                          > check) is doing differently.
                          >
                          > If this forum accepted screen shots, I'd upload a
                          > few.

                          OK I think I may have seen this problem in the past.
                          I think the problem is with step 7. What I have
                          noticed is that if you click on the class dropdown
                          this problem presents itself. The problem does not
                          happen if you click on player name (I just confirmed
                          this).

                          This is definately a code bug.

                          -Aaron

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • henrythelesser
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 6, 2006
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

                            > OK I think I may have seen this problem in the past.
                            > I think the problem is with step 7. What I have
                            > noticed is that if you click on the class dropdown
                            > this problem presents itself. The problem does not
                            > happen if you click on player name (I just confirmed
                            > this).
                            >
                            > This is definately a code bug.

                            Cool! I'm glad it's not my hallucinations again. ;-)

                            -Henry