Command Line PC Gen

  • pkukwork
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2006
      Hello,

      A few days ago, I posted information about an annoying bug in the
      command line generation (crashing when a character has a
      "ABILITY:[PROMPT:" in its pcg file), as well as questions ont he
      format of the command line (including how to generate pdf). Has there
      been any progress on this ?

      Thanks in advance,

      Philippe
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 28, 2006
        Hi Philippe,

        Did someone reply to your original post on these bugs? Usually one of
        our hordes of monkeys takes the bug reports and makes a tracker out of
        it (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/) to get to the lists of
        trackers. You'll be able to see what progress has been made there.

        If no one replied, please feel free to add a new tracker with your
        bug. I monitor all new trackers and will place it on the Roadmap
        accordingly :-).

        Karianna
        Admin SB

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > A few days ago, I posted information about an annoying bug in the
        > command line generation (crashing when a character has a
        > "ABILITY:[PROMPT:" in its pcg file), as well as questions ont he
        > format of the command line (including how to generate pdf). Has there
        > been any progress on this ?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Philippe

      • pkukwork
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 28, 2006
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

          > Did someone reply to your original post on these bugs? Usually one of
          > our hordes of monkeys takes the bug reports and makes a tracker out of
          > it (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/) to get to the lists of
          > trackers. You'll be able to see what progress has been made there.
          >
          > If no one replied, please feel free to add a new tracker with your
          > bug. I monitor all new trackers and will place it on the Roadmap
          > accordingly :-).

          I don' think anyone replied. However, I am not a registered user, I
          repeat herebelow what I found, can someone please open a tracker ?

          Thanks in advance,

          Philippe

          I have finally identified the source of my problems with Command Line
          PCGen (for html files at least, any news about the switches available,
          in particular for pdf output ?).

          If a .pcg file contains the following kind of tag:
          "ABILITY:[PROMPT:"
          For example in lines like:
          CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Fighter=4|HITPOINTS:6|ABILITY:[PROMPT:FEAT(TYPE=Fighter)|CHO\
          ICE:Weapon
          Specialization(Longbow)]|PRESTAT:DEX=1|SKILLSGAINED:2
          CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Wild
          Mage=1|HITPOINTS:2|ABILITY:[PROMPT:SPELLCASTER(Arcane)|CHOICE:Sorcerer]|SKILLSGA\
          INED:3
          CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Hexblade=5|HITPOINTS:5|ABILITY:[PROMPT:FEAT(Combat
          Casting,Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment),Greater Spell Focus
          (Necromancy),Greater Spell Focus (Transmutation),Greater Spell
          Penetration,Spell Focus (Enchantment),Spell Focus (Necromancy),Spell
          Focus (Transmutation),Spell Penetration)|CHOICE:Spell
          Focus(Enchantment)]|POSTSTAT:WIS=1|SKILLSGAINED:2

          Then, the command file PCGen crashes with the rather obscure following
          output:
          at pcgen.core.Main.main(Main.java:76)
          at
          pcgen.util.chooser.ChooserFactory.getChooserInstance(ChooserFactory.java:52)
          at pcgen.core.LevelAbility.process(LevelAbility.java:121)
          at pcgen.io.PCGVer2Parser.parseLevelAbilityInfo(PCGVer2Parser.java:4454)
          at
          pcgen.io.PCGVer2Parser.parseClassAbilitiesLevelLine(PCGVer2Parser.java:1438)
          at pcgen.io.PCGVer2Parser.parseCachedLines(PCGVer2Parser.java:648)
          at pcgen.io.PCGVer2Parser.parsePCG(PCGVer2Parser.java:151)
          at pcgen.io.PCGIOHandler.read(PCGIOHandler.java:294)
          at pcgen.io.IOHandler.read(IOHandler.java:61)
          at pcgen.core.party.Party.loadPCFromFile(Party.java:277)
          at pcgen.core.party.Party.loadCharacterFiles(Party.java:262)
          at pcgen.core.party.Party.load(Party.java:141)
          at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.runNonGuiLoad(pcGenGUI.java:297)
          at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.runNonGui(pcGenGUI.java:240)
          at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:171)
          at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(pcGenGUI.java:404)
          ... 5 more

          I hope that this will be enough for you to track this down to its
          conclusion, as it is a rather annoying bug. MOst high level characters
          have at least one such tag...
        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 28, 2006
            Trackered, and slated for the 5.10 release

          • Thomas Clegg
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 28, 2006
              I was going through, working on the DW2 files, and noticed the Club, Knife,
              and Hatchet were missing the .Thrown in their TYPE: entries....

              Tom

            • Thomas Clegg
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28, 2006
                Found this while making a character for a game:

                Weapon Finesse (Unarmed Strike) isn't being applied to Unarmed Lethal Strike
                (Gained from the Combat martial Arts Feat)

                Tom

              • pkukwork
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29, 2006
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                  > Trackered, and slated for the 5.10 release

                  Great, thanks !

                  Any news about the parameters for the command line PCGen (and in
                  particular the flag to have pdf generation) ?

                  Thanks in advance,

                  Philippe
                • karianna03
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2006
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Trackered, and slated for the 5.10 release
                    >
                    > Great, thanks !
                    >
                    > Any news about the parameters for the command line PCGen (and in
                    > particular the flag to have pdf generation) ?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance,
                    >
                    > Philippe

                    Hmm, I'm not to sure, are you saying you don't know what the
                    parameters are? Or that you'd like to have some?

                  • pkukwork
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2006
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                      > > Any news about the parameters for the command line PCGen (and in
                      > > particular the flag to have pdf generation) ?
                      >
                      > Hmm, I'm not to sure, are you saying you don't know what the
                      > parameters are? Or that you'd like to have some?

                      I know the standard parameters (those in the documentation of PCGen),
                      but that's all, and in particular, I don't know the one for asking for
                      a pdf generation. Someone promised to ask another guy about getting
                      the complete list of parameters and switches, but that's all that I
                      know...

                      Philippe
                    • karianna03
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2006
                        OK, I'll throw this on the Dev list - K

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Any news about the parameters for the command line PCGen (and in
                        > > > particular the flag to have pdf generation) ?
                        > >
                        > > Hmm, I'm not to sure, are you saying you don't know what the
                        > > parameters are? Or that you'd like to have some?
                        >
                        > I know the standard parameters (those in the documentation of PCGen),
                        > but that's all, and in particular, I don't know the one for asking for
                        > a pdf generation. Someone promised to ask another guy about getting
                        > the complete list of parameters and switches, but that's all that I
                        > know...
                        >
                        > Philippe

                      • karianna03
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Quote from dev list:

                          "it doesn't look like you can export PDF sheets (though
                          I've never tried). The options that I initially wrote
                          are
                          pcgen.inputfile (this is the pcg file)
                          pcgen.templatefile (this is the html/txt output sheet)
                          pcgen.outputfile (this is the resulting output sheet)
                          these are all done as system properties (i.e. like
                          this)
                          java -jar pcgen.jar
                          -Dpcgen.inputfile=characters\milo.pcg
                          -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets\html\mysheet.htm
                          -Dpcgen.outputfile=characters\milo.htm

                          -Bryan"

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                          > OK, I'll throw this on the Dev list - K
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@> wrote:

                          > > > Hmm, I'm not to sure, are you saying you don't know what the
                          > > > parameters are? Or that you'd like to have some?
                          > >
                          > > I know the standard parameters (those in the documentation of PCGen),
                          > > but that's all, and in particular, I don't know the one for asking for
                          > > a pdf generation. Someone promised to ask another guy about getting
                          > > the complete list of parameters and switches, but that's all that I
                          > > know...
                          > >
                          > > Philippe

                        • pkukwork
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 2, 2006
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                            > "it doesn't look like you can export PDF sheets (though
                            > I've never tried). The options that I initially wrote
                            > are
                            > pcgen.inputfile (this is the pcg file)
                            > pcgen.templatefile (this is the html/txt output sheet)
                            > pcgen.outputfile (this is the resulting output sheet)
                            > these are all done as system properties (i.e. like
                            > this)
                            > java -jar pcgen.jar
                            > -Dpcgen.inputfile=characters\milo.pcg
                            > -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets\html\mysheet.htm
                            > -Dpcgen.outputfile=characters\milo.htm

                            OK, thanks for the answer. I can confirm that (unfortunately), if you
                            use a pdf template file for the template, it will not output pdf at
                            all, but only the xslt template itself.

                            Too bad, can that extension be filed as a interesting development
                            request (possible with a -pdf switch on the command line) ?

                            Thanks in advance,

                            Philippe
                          • karianna03
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2006
                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pkukwork" <philippe.krait@...> wrote:

                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > "it doesn't look like you can export PDF sheets (though
                              > > I've never tried). The options that I initially wrote
                              > > are
                              > > pcgen.inputfile (this is the pcg file)
                              > > pcgen.templatefile (this is the html/txt output sheet)
                              > > pcgen.outputfile (this is the resulting output sheet)
                              > > these are all done as system properties (i.e. like
                              > > this)
                              > > java -jar pcgen.jar
                              > > -Dpcgen.inputfile=characters\milo.pcg
                              > > -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets\html\mysheet.htm
                              > > -Dpcgen.outputfile=characters\milo.htm
                              >
                              > OK, thanks for the answer. I can confirm that (unfortunately), if you
                              > use a pdf template file for the template, it will not output pdf at
                              > all, but only the xslt template itself.
                              >
                              > Too bad, can that extension be filed as a interesting development
                              > request (possible with a -pdf switch on the command line) ?

                              It certainly can, I've added a tracker to SF for this :-)

                            • pkukwork
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 4, 2006
                                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                                > > OK, thanks for the answer. I can confirm that (unfortunately), if you
                                > > use a pdf template file for the template, it will not output pdf at
                                > > all, but only the xslt template itself.
                                > >
                                > > Too bad, can that extension be filed as a interesting development
                                > > request (possible with a -pdf switch on the command line) ?
                                >
                                > It certainly can, I've added a tracker to SF for this :-)

                                OK, thanks.

                                Philippe