Start up

  • magnoliafan_999
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 21, 2006
      I try to start up the prog and it flashes a small black screen for a
      fraction of a second and nothing happens. What up?
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2006
        > I try to start up the prog and it flashes a small black screen for a
        > fraction of a second and nothing happens. What up?

        Do you have java installed on your system?

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • magnoliafan_999
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 23, 2006
          Yes I have Java.
        • Shawn
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
            Haven't been able to locate any thing on a similar problem...so here it is...

            After install, I can't open the program. I get this error message...

            The specified path does not contain a valid program. Please select a valid program (ending with .exe)

            I'm running win 7 now. When I use the compatibility software it targets this part of the program as the issue...

            pcgen.bat

            Would appreciate any suggestions as to how I can smooth this out. Would very much like to see how PCGen works as I've never had the pleasure before.
          • Susan Dittmar
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
              Dear Shawn,

              I am pretty sure someone else will soon get to you with a more complete
              answer. Some Windows users (vista and 7) had problems with the install when
              using standard paths, because the operating system later forbids writing
              there -- which is needed for running the program.

              Try installing in a non-standard path (i.e. not under Programs but perhaps
              under Documents\PCGen\ or something). From what I read on this list that
              might solve your problem.

              In case my advice does not make much sense to you, wait for the other
              answers. I do not use PCGen under Windows and thus cannot give you more
              detailed information.

              Susan

            • Shawn Deem
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                Thanks for the quick response! I'll give it a shot and see how it works!

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Sadly...my problem remains the same regardless of what path I use to install it. Makes me think that there's some thing in my software blocking it. I've only had win 7 for a short time, and am not familiar enough with it as yet to say for certain. Or to resolve the issue if it is.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                    The path doesn't matter, it's probably all the Win7 admin rights you need to run the program. I found that running PCGen in "XP Mode" (a virtual WinXP install) fixed my problems, cause well, its XP.
                    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
                    It's a good thing to have anyway for all the XP programs that dont need lots of graphics resources. Whats better you can set it up so that you run PCGen in XP Mode but without the virtualization window. Oh, you'll need a processor that can do virtualization. This may not help everyone.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                      If you can access the wiki  (wiki.pcgen.com) I have a FAQ and Help page of the compiled replies for this particular issue.

                      I'd give you a link, but apparently the wiki doesn't like me today.

                      -Andrew

                      ________________________________

[...]

                      ------------------------------------

                      Related Lists
                      PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • David R. Bender
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                        http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

                        Andrew, it is pcgen.ORG not pcgen.com, or at least that is what works
                        for me....

                        David
                        Papa.DRB

                        Grognard (definition 1)
                        My better half and me

                        The least I can do is nothing.
                        The least I will do is my best.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                          Yeah, my excuse is I've been sick for the last month... Oh well... I've got a campaign to plan for Saturday and I can't focus on much still.