Re: [pcgen] Re: Spell preparation

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
      Hi Siggi,

      That would be greatly appreciated.

      Cheers,
      James.

      On 8/03/2006 7:59 AM krazhit wrote

      >Looks great.. I offer my assistance on banging on this once available :)
      >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:
      >

      >>Hi Siggi,
      >>
      >>On 7/03/2006 11:51 PM krazhit wrote
      >>

      >>>Thank you James,
      >>>
      >>>Is there anywhere I can see an overview of the planned changes to the
      >>>spells tab?
      >>>

      >>Yes, there is a spec available on the old wiki at
      >>http://gmgen.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main/SpellsTabSpecification
      >>and the alpha release this weekend will have the code so far.
      >>
      >>Cheers,
      >>James

    • Darin McBride
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
        On March 7, 2006 01:11 pm, James Dempsey wrote:
        > Hi Siggi,
        >
        > On 7/03/2006 11:51 PM krazhit wrote
        >
        > >Thank you James,
        > >
        > >Is there anywhere I can see an overview of the planned changes to the
        > >spells tab?
        > >

        > Yes, there is a spec available on the old wiki at
        > http://gmgen.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main/SpellsTabSpecification
        > and the alpha release this weekend will have the code so far.

        James,

        I assume that the bullet that says "Some books grant spells from feats or
        other one off sources - not all spells source from class levels" refers to
        things like Psychic Chirurgery granting a power above and beyond their class
        limits?

        What I'm hoping for is the ability to specify a spell or power as "beyond
        limit" (whether that's psychic chirurgery, limited/full wish, miracle, etc.)
        rather than having to write up some sort of template to apply. Because I
        think the bulk of the time that a beyond-limit spell is granted, it will be
        based on the regular effective caster level for determining everything other
        than the fact that the character knows the spell or power. I'm thinking
        mostly along the lines of bard, sorceror, psion, etc. Wizards obviously
        being exempt from this - they can know basically anything anyway.

        As for prepared spells - if you're going to allow containers within containers
        here, I would suggest the ability to specify:

        * all spells known.
        * spells in each spell book (must be a subset of spells known - gaining a
        new book from somewhere would thus add all its spells to the all-spells-known
        category above)
        * prepared spells can be specified based on any set of books (default to all
        books?).

        This may make it easier to say "Here are my travelling book(s)" and "Here are
        my wilderness spells" and "Here are my dungeon spells" etc. ... then, when a
        book goes, um, missing, well, something would need to be done at that time -
        spells go red for being missing and no longer available or something. (Which
        means you probably shouldn't cast the one in your head, but scribe it into a
        new book ;-})
      • krazhit
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2006
          The new features are extremely useful, are there any plans to add
          memorisation to the preview tab?

          I like --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@...> wrote:

          > Hi Siggi,
          >
          > That would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > James.
          >
          > On 8/03/2006 7:59 AM krazhit wrote
          >
          > >Looks great.. I offer my assistance on banging on this once
          available :)
          > >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
          > >

          > >>Hi Siggi,
          > >>
          > >>On 7/03/2006 11:51 PM krazhit wrote

          > >>Yes, there is a spec available on the old wiki at
          >
          >>http://gmgen.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main/SpellsTabSpecification
          > >>and the alpha release this weekend will have the code so far.
          > >>
          > >>Cheers,
          > >>James

        • krazhit
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2006
            Bumping in case you missed this innocent (but important :) question.