Re: [pcgen] Trim your posts Please!

  • Kent P
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
      Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@...> wrote:
      > He isn't complaining about the number of messages, but about the
      > extraneous data that is left by others in their replies. It might not
      > seem like a lot to leave a few lines in, but it adds up over time. And
      > in a lot of cases the lack of trimming isn't just a line or two, but
      > entire emails with replies of "me too".

      Ayup!

      Kent
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
        On Mar 4, 2006, at 1:29 AM, sal smith wrote:

        > Just a suggestion but if you feel you are getting too much email
        > from this group you can go to the group and click on "Edit
        > Membership" then under "Message Delivery" set it to "Daily Digest"
        > and click "Save Changes." Then you will just get one email a day.

        First, the idea that digest delivery reduces the amount of mail
        received is a fallacy. All it does is package the (possibly
        monstrous) set of mail into one glob, which may or may not be easier
        to navigate depending on your email reader.

        Second, despite the plea to trim posts (the topic which started this
        thread), you yourself trimmed nothing and left duplicate sets of
        Yahoo slime trail on your response. :-(

        I agree with the original poster: folks, please trim the unnecessary
        bits from the message you are quoting -- especially all the Yahoo
        headers and trailers.

        Michael
      • Nathanael Rouillard
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
          Quick reminder to other Googlemail users; we may not see it because Google
          hides it, but it pays to check how much is hidden away in the "Quoted Text"
          section when the thread is getting long. Especially if you're responding.

          Of course, this is liable to break thread tracking if you're not careful,
          but sometimes you just have to live with it.

          -Nathanael

          On 04/03/06, Michael <java_kensai@...> wrote:

          > I agree with the original poster: folks, please trim the unnecessary
          > bits from the message you are quoting -- especially all the Yahoo
          > headers and trailers.
          >
          > Michael

        • Rich
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
            Nathanael wrote:

            > Quick reminder to other Googlemail users; we may not see it because
            > Google
            > hides it, but it pays to check how much is hidden away in the "Quoted
            > Text"
            > section when the thread is getting long. Especially if you're responding.

            gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should be
            pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in your
            reply.

            --

            rich

          • Kent P
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
              The problem is, for us top posters, you still have to scroll down to
              see it, since the Gmail compose window only shows a tiny portion of
              the message.

              Kent

              Rich wrote:
              > gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should be
              > pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in your
              > reply.
              > --
              > rich
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                --- Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote:

                > Rich wrote:
                > > gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should
                > be
                > > pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in
                > your
                > > reply.
                > > --
                > > rich
                >
                > The problem is, for us top posters, you still have to scroll down to
                > see it, since the Gmail compose window only shows a tiny portion of
                > the message.
                >
                > Kent

                Reason #147 not to top-post. ;-)

                Michael