Re: [pcgen] Trim your posts Please!

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
      > Just a suggestion but if you feel you are getting too much email from
      > this group you can go to the group and click on "Edit Membership"
      > then under "Message Delivery" set it to "Daily Digest" and click
      > "Save Changes." Then you will just get one email a day.

      He isn't complaining about the number of messages, but about the
      extraneous data that is left by others in their replies. It might not
      seem like a lot to leave a few lines in, but it adds up over time. And
      in a lot of cases the lack of trimming isn't just a line or two, but
      entire emails with replies of "me too".
    • Kent P
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
        Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@...> wrote:
        > He isn't complaining about the number of messages, but about the
        > extraneous data that is left by others in their replies. It might not
        > seem like a lot to leave a few lines in, but it adds up over time. And
        > in a lot of cases the lack of trimming isn't just a line or two, but
        > entire emails with replies of "me too".

        Ayup!

        Kent
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
          On Mar 4, 2006, at 1:29 AM, sal smith wrote:

          > Just a suggestion but if you feel you are getting too much email
          > from this group you can go to the group and click on "Edit
          > Membership" then under "Message Delivery" set it to "Daily Digest"
          > and click "Save Changes." Then you will just get one email a day.

          First, the idea that digest delivery reduces the amount of mail
          received is a fallacy. All it does is package the (possibly
          monstrous) set of mail into one glob, which may or may not be easier
          to navigate depending on your email reader.

          Second, despite the plea to trim posts (the topic which started this
          thread), you yourself trimmed nothing and left duplicate sets of
          Yahoo slime trail on your response. :-(

          I agree with the original poster: folks, please trim the unnecessary
          bits from the message you are quoting -- especially all the Yahoo
          headers and trailers.

          Michael
        • Nathanael Rouillard
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
            Quick reminder to other Googlemail users; we may not see it because Google
            hides it, but it pays to check how much is hidden away in the "Quoted Text"
            section when the thread is getting long. Especially if you're responding.

            Of course, this is liable to break thread tracking if you're not careful,
            but sometimes you just have to live with it.

            -Nathanael

            On 04/03/06, Michael <java_kensai@...> wrote:

            > I agree with the original poster: folks, please trim the unnecessary
            > bits from the message you are quoting -- especially all the Yahoo
            > headers and trailers.
            >
            > Michael

          • Rich
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
              Nathanael wrote:

              > Quick reminder to other Googlemail users; we may not see it because
              > Google
              > hides it, but it pays to check how much is hidden away in the "Quoted
              > Text"
              > section when the thread is getting long. Especially if you're responding.

              gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should be
              pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in your
              reply.

              --

              rich

            • Kent P
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                The problem is, for us top posters, you still have to scroll down to
                see it, since the Gmail compose window only shows a tiny portion of
                the message.

                Kent

                Rich wrote:
                > gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should be
                > pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in your
                > reply.
                > --
                > rich
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                  --- Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote:

                  > Rich wrote:
                  > > gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should
                  > be
                  > > pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in
                  > your
                  > > reply.
                  > > --
                  > > rich
                  >
                  > The problem is, for us top posters, you still have to scroll down to
                  > see it, since the Gmail compose window only shows a tiny portion of
                  > the message.
                  >
                  > Kent

                  Reason #147 not to top-post. ;-)

                  Michael