Trim your posts Please!

  • Kent P
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2006
      Just a request to trim posts, in consideration for those of us who'd
      prefer to prevent email from becoming the singularity that consumed
      the Internet (or at least our hard-drives)

      Kent
    • sal smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2006
        Just a suggestion but if you feel you are getting too much email from this group you can go to the group and click on "Edit Membership" then under "Message Delivery" set it to "Daily Digest" and click "Save Changes." Then you will just get one email a day.

        Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote: Just a request to trim posts, in consideration for those of us who'd
        prefer to prevent email from becoming the singularity that consumed
        the Internet (or at least our hard-drives)

        Kent

        PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
        PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/

        Role playing games Online role playing games Role playing games online

        ---------------------------------

      • Kevin Brown
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
          > Just a suggestion but if you feel you are getting too much email from
          > this group you can go to the group and click on "Edit Membership"
          > then under "Message Delivery" set it to "Daily Digest" and click
          > "Save Changes." Then you will just get one email a day.

          He isn't complaining about the number of messages, but about the
          extraneous data that is left by others in their replies. It might not
          seem like a lot to leave a few lines in, but it adds up over time. And
          in a lot of cases the lack of trimming isn't just a line or two, but
          entire emails with replies of "me too".
        • Kent P
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
            Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@...> wrote:
            > He isn't complaining about the number of messages, but about the
            > extraneous data that is left by others in their replies. It might not
            > seem like a lot to leave a few lines in, but it adds up over time. And
            > in a lot of cases the lack of trimming isn't just a line or two, but
            > entire emails with replies of "me too".

            Ayup!

            Kent
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2006
              On Mar 4, 2006, at 1:29 AM, sal smith wrote:

              > Just a suggestion but if you feel you are getting too much email
              > from this group you can go to the group and click on "Edit
              > Membership" then under "Message Delivery" set it to "Daily Digest"
              > and click "Save Changes." Then you will just get one email a day.

              First, the idea that digest delivery reduces the amount of mail
              received is a fallacy. All it does is package the (possibly
              monstrous) set of mail into one glob, which may or may not be easier
              to navigate depending on your email reader.

              Second, despite the plea to trim posts (the topic which started this
              thread), you yourself trimmed nothing and left duplicate sets of
              Yahoo slime trail on your response. :-(

              I agree with the original poster: folks, please trim the unnecessary
              bits from the message you are quoting -- especially all the Yahoo
              headers and trailers.

              Michael
            • Nathanael Rouillard
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2006
                Quick reminder to other Googlemail users; we may not see it because Google
                hides it, but it pays to check how much is hidden away in the "Quoted Text"
                section when the thread is getting long. Especially if you're responding.

                Of course, this is liable to break thread tracking if you're not careful,
                but sometimes you just have to live with it.

                -Nathanael

                On 04/03/06, Michael <java_kensai@...> wrote:

                > I agree with the original poster: folks, please trim the unnecessary
                > bits from the message you are quoting -- especially all the Yahoo
                > headers and trailers.
                >
                > Michael

              • Rich
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                  Nathanael wrote:

                  > Quick reminder to other Googlemail users; we may not see it because
                  > Google
                  > hides it, but it pays to check how much is hidden away in the "Quoted
                  > Text"
                  > section when the thread is getting long. Especially if you're responding.

                  gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should be
                  pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in your
                  reply.

                  --

                  rich

                • Kent P
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                    The problem is, for us top posters, you still have to scroll down to
                    see it, since the Gmail compose window only shows a tiny portion of
                    the message.

                    Kent

                    Rich wrote:
                    > gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should be
                    > pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in your
                    > reply.
                    > --
                    > rich
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 8, 2006
                      --- Kent P <kentpollard@...> wrote:

                      > Rich wrote:
                      > > gmail automatically expands all quoted text when you reply, so it should
                      > be
                      > > pretty obvious if you've just requoted several pages of the thread in
                      > your
                      > > reply.
                      > > --
                      > > rich
                      >
                      > The problem is, for us top posters, you still have to scroll down to
                      > see it, since the Gmail compose window only shows a tiny portion of
                      > the message.
                      >
                      > Kent

                      Reason #147 not to top-post. ;-)

                      Michael