Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [pcgen]Windows NT server 4.0

Expand Messages
  • Kevin Brown
    ... If JRE 1.5 runs on it, then so will PCGen.
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      >> Due to a minor problem with my servers, the only
      >> computer I have currently working is running Windows
      >> NT 4.0 Server with Service pack 6. Does PcGen work on
      >> NT? Will it run okay on NT 4.0 Server?
      >>
      >> I have never tried running it on NT, and am loath to
      >> install it on my server unless I know 100% that it
      >> will not cause problems (my other 2 servers are down,
      >> and my desktop is currently in pieces).
      >>
      >> My only other option would be to install it on my
      >> already overloaded laptop, but I don't like doing lst
      >> file work on my laptop, too many distractions.
      >>
      >> Thoughts?
      >>
      >> Thanks.
      >>
      >> Soulcat
      >>
      >>
      >
      > Any thoughts? Any at all?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Soulcat

      If JRE 1.5 runs on it, then so will PCGen.
    • Graeme Wallis
      ... to ... down, ... That s just it, I can t find anything definitive about JRE 1.5 and NT, and I don t want to try it and risk it, at least not whilst I still
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        >> I have never tried running it on NT, and am loath
        to
        >> install it on my server unless I know 100% that it
        >> will not cause problems (my other 2 servers are
        down,
        >> and my desktop is currently in pieces).


        >If JRE 1.5 runs on it, then so will PCGen.

        That's just it, I can't find anything definitive about
        JRE 1.5 and NT, and I don't want to try it and risk
        it, at least not whilst I still have a lot of work to
        do on my other systems.

        Soulcat




        ___________________________________________________________
        NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/
      • Eric Beaudoin
        ... PCGen should still run with JRE 1.4 ... Éric Space Monkey Beaudoin Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club Release Monkey fighting Real
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          At 10:08 2006.02.26, Graeme Wallis wrote:
          >>> I have never tried running it on NT, and am loath
          >to
          >>> install it on my server unless I know 100% that it
          >>> will not cause problems (my other 2 servers are
          >down,
          >>> and my desktop is currently in pieces).
          >
          >
          >>If JRE 1.5 runs on it, then so will PCGen.
          >
          >That's just it, I can't find anything definitive about
          >JRE 1.5 and NT, and I don't want to try it and risk
          >it, at least not whilst I still have a lot of work to
          >do on my other systems.
          >
          >Soulcat

          PCGen should still run with JRE 1.4


          -----------------------------------------------------------
          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
          Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Graeme Wallis
          ... about ... Too many ifs and shoulds for my current situation. Looks like I ll just have to work on another solution. Can t risk an installation that hurts
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            --- Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...> wrote:


            ---------------------------------
            At 10:08 2006.02.26, Graeme Wallis wrote:
            >>> I have never tried running it on NT, and am loath
            >to
            >>> install it on my server unless I know 100% that it
            >>> will not cause problems (my other 2 servers are
            >down,
            >>> and my desktop is currently in pieces).
            >
            >
            >>If JRE 1.5 runs on it, then so will PCGen.
            >
            >That's just it, I can't find anything definitive
            about
            >JRE 1.5 and NT, and I don't want to try it and risk
            >it, at least not whilst I still have a lot of work to
            >do on my other systems.
            >
            >Soulcat

            >PCGen should still run with JRE 1.4

            Too many ifs and shoulds for my current situation.
            Looks like I'll just have to work on another solution.
            Can't risk an installation that hurts my server.





            ___________________________________________________________
            Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
          • Kent P
            The only thing you should lose by running on JRE 1.4 is some of the PDF stuff. Otherwise, I think it was working fine last time I tried. Kent
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              The only thing you should lose by running on JRE 1.4 is some of the
              PDF stuff. Otherwise, I think it was working fine last time I tried.

              Kent


              On 2/26/06, Graeme Wallis <soulcatimous_pteppic@...> wrote:
              >
              > --- Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              > ---------------------------------
              > At 10:08 2006.02.26, Graeme Wallis wrote:
              > >>> I have never tried running it on NT, and am loath
              > >to
              > >>> install it on my server unless I know 100% that it
              > >>> will not cause problems (my other 2 servers are
              > >down,
              > >>> and my desktop is currently in pieces).
              > >
              > >
              > >>If JRE 1.5 runs on it, then so will PCGen.
              > >
              > >That's just it, I can't find anything definitive
              > about
              > >JRE 1.5 and NT, and I don't want to try it and risk
              > >it, at least not whilst I still have a lot of work to
              > >do on my other systems.
              > >
              > >Soulcat
              >
              > >PCGen should still run with JRE 1.4
              >
              > Too many ifs and shoulds for my current situation.
              > Looks like I'll just have to work on another solution.
              > Can't risk an installation that hurts my server.
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > ___________________________________________________________
              > Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
              >
              >
              > PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
              > PCGen's Wiki: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
              > PCGen's alpha build: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds
              > PCGen's Online Docs: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
            • Eric Beaudoin
              ... PDF was also working. The PDF problems were with JRE 1.5 and later fixed before 5.8.0. I say should when I talk about JRE 1.4 because there were
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                At 11:14 2006.02.26, Kent P wrote:
                >The only thing you should lose by running on JRE 1.4 is some of the
                >PDF stuff. Otherwise, I think it was working fine last time I tried.
                >
                >Kent

                PDF was also working. The PDF problems were with JRE 1.5 and later fixed before 5.8.0.

                I say "should" when I talk about JRE 1.4 because there were extensive tests done for the 5.8.0 release but we have not done the same for 5.8.1.


                -----------------------------------------------------------
                Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
                Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
                >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                <mailto:beaudoer@...>
              • Graeme Wallis
                But, does JRE 1.4 work with NT 4.0 Server? I am loathe to try it, without some sense of surety! :-) Soulcat ... is some of the ... last time I tried. ... PDF
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  But, does JRE 1.4 work with NT 4.0 Server? I am loathe
                  to try it, without some sense of surety! :-)

                  Soulcat

                  --- Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...> wrote:


                  ---------------------------------
                  At 11:14 2006.02.26, Kent P wrote:
                  >The only thing you should lose by running on JRE 1.4
                  is some of the
                  >PDF stuff. Otherwise, I think it was working fine
                  last time I tried.
                  >
                  >Kent

                  PDF was also working. The PDF problems were with JRE
                  1.5 and later fixed before 5.8.0.

                  I say "should" when I talk about JRE 1.4 because there
                  were extensive tests done for the 5.8.0 release but we
                  have not done the same for 5.8.1.


                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                  Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
                  Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
                  >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                  >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                  <mailto:beaudoer@...>




                  PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                  PCGen's Wiki:
                  http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                  PCGen's alpha build:
                  http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds
                  PCGen's Online Docs:
                  http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/



                  SPONSORED LINKS
                  Role
                  playing games
                  Online role playing games
                  Role playing games online


                  ---------------------------------
                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


                  Visit your group "pcgen" on the web.

                  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  pcgen-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                  Terms of Service.


                  ---------------------------------






                  ___________________________________________________________
                  To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com
                • Eric Beaudoin
                  ... Well, they answer to that would be on the Sun forum, not here :-). ... Éric Space Monkey Beaudoin Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    At 13:21 2006.02.26, Graeme Wallis wrote:
                    >But, does JRE 1.4 work with NT 4.0 Server? I am loathe
                    >to try it, without some sense of surety! :-)
                    >
                    >Soulcat

                    Well, they answer to that would be on the Sun forum, not here :-).


                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                    Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
                    Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
                    >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                    >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                    <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                  • Graeme Wallis
                    Yeah, thought I d said that previously, the Sun site is less than forthcoming on the whole issue. When Microsoft stopped supporting NT, so did everyone else
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yeah, thought I'd said that previously, the Sun site
                      is less than forthcoming on the whole issue. When
                      Microsoft stopped supporting NT, so did everyone else
                      apparently.

                      I was hoping that someone here might have had some
                      experience of it, that was the point of posting both
                      here, and on the CMP forums.

                      Obviously no one has tried to run PcGen on NT server.
                      SO, I won't try it, and risk having to rebuild yet
                      another server installation.

                      It'll just have to wait until I get my desktop up and
                      running!

                      Thanks anyway.

                      Soulcat
                      --- Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...> wrote:


                      ---------------------------------
                      At 13:21 2006.02.26, Graeme Wallis wrote:
                      >But, does JRE 1.4 work with NT 4.0 Server? I am
                      loathe
                      >to try it, without some sense of surety! :-)
                      >
                      >Soulcat

                      Well, they answer to that would be on the Sun forum,
                      not here :-).


                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                      Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
                      Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
                      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                      >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                      <mailto:beaudoer@...>




                      PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                      PCGen's Wiki:
                      http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                      PCGen's alpha build:
                      http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds
                      PCGen's Online Docs:
                      http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/



                      SPONSORED LINKS
                      Role
                      playing games
                      Online role playing games
                      Role playing games online


                      ---------------------------------
                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


                      Visit your group "pcgen" on the web.

                      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      pcgen-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                      Terms of Service.


                      ---------------------------------








                      ___________________________________________________________
                      Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                    • theryonstormrune
                      Soulcat, I know you don t want to install and try it without knowing positive or negative. But the uninstalls for JRE and JDK work just fine. I ve had to
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 3, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Soulcat,

                        I know you don't want to install and try it without knowing positive
                        or negative. But the uninstalls for JRE and JDK work just fine.
                        I've had to uninstall 1.4.2_06 (our standard here at work) off of
                        machines and it works just fine.

                        I have run 1.4.2 on an NT machine but it was a workstation not a
                        server. One of my previous assignments was another state agency that
                        had NT Workstation as it's standard. 1.4.2 was installed on our
                        server in the center but I never used it and I'm not sure if anyone
                        had any java-based applications that actually ran on the server. So
                        all I know is that it cohabitated well on NT Server (4.0). But it
                        works fine on NT Workstation. (Yes, I ran PCGen on that machine as
                        well.)

                        Theryon

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Graeme Wallis
                        <soulcatimous_pteppic@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Yeah, thought I'd said that previously, the Sun site
                        > is less than forthcoming on the whole issue. When
                        > Microsoft stopped supporting NT, so did everyone else
                        > apparently.
                        >
                        > I was hoping that someone here might have had some
                        > experience of it, that was the point of posting both
                        > here, and on the CMP forums.
                        >
                        > Obviously no one has tried to run PcGen on NT server.
                        > SO, I won't try it, and risk having to rebuild yet
                        > another server installation.
                        >
                        > It'll just have to wait until I get my desktop up and
                        > running!
                        >
                        > Thanks anyway.
                        >
                        > Soulcat
                        > --- Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------
                        > At 13:21 2006.02.26, Graeme Wallis wrote:
                        > >But, does JRE 1.4 work with NT 4.0 Server? I am
                        > loathe
                        > >to try it, without some sense of surety! :-)
                        > >
                        > >Soulcat
                        >
                        > Well, they answer to that would be on the Sun forum,
                        > not here :-).
                        >
                        >
                        > -----------------------------------------------------------
                        > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                        > Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club
                        > Release Monkey fighting Real Life(tm)
                        > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                        > >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                        > <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > PCGen's release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                        > PCGen's Wiki:
                        > http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/pytw/#Welcome
                        > PCGen's alpha build:
                        > http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds
                        > PCGen's Online Docs:
                        > http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > SPONSORED LINKS
                        > Role
                        > playing games
                        > Online role playing games
                        > Role playing games online
                        >
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >
                        >
                        > Visit your group "pcgen" on the web.
                        >
                        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                        > pcgen-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        >
                        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                        > Terms of Service.
                        >
                        >
                        > ---------------------------------
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > ___________________________________________________________
                        > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide
                        with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                        >
                      • ...
                        (Take 2 Sorry mods, I should have read the Terms first ) Greetings Folks. Newbie here. I m looking to add in a Feat and I m having issues with the CHOOSE
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 10, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          (Take 2 Sorry mods, I should have read the Terms first )

                          Greetings Folks. Newbie here.
                          I'm looking to add in a Feat and I'm having issues with the CHOOSE command.
                          I'm adding a feat that ties a spell to another feat. I can get it to allow you to choose one thing but not the other. Is this at all possible? Can you only make one "choice"?

                          Example. The Feat Allows you to make a Permanent Maximize Fireball spell. When selecting the Feat, you can choose Maximize, but not Fireball.

                          Thanks
                          -Mak
                        • Andrew Maitland
                          Hi Mak, That is interesting, not many requests for that. I don t know of a way to do it in one CHOOSE, you _might_ be able to do it with Two CHOOSE tags.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 10, 2009
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Hi Mak,

                            That is interesting, not many requests for that. I don't know of a way
                            to do it in one CHOOSE, you _might_ be able to do it with Two CHOOSE
                            tags. First one being your CHOOSE:SPELLS and the second one being
                            CHOOSE:FEATSELECT|TYPE.Metamagic

                            That won't exactly tie them together per se, but it should display both
                            on the feat as a Choice.

                            If that doesn't work then we can try something more complex...

                            -Andrew

                            .... wrote:
                            > (Take 2 Sorry mods, I should have read the Terms first )
                            >
                            > Greetings Folks. Newbie here.
                            > I'm looking to add in a Feat and I'm having issues with the CHOOSE command.
                            > I'm adding a feat that ties a spell to another feat. I can get it to allow you to choose one thing but not the other. Is this at all possible? Can you only make one "choice"?
                            >
                            > Example. The Feat Allows you to make a Permanent Maximize Fireball spell. When selecting the Feat, you can choose Maximize, but not Fireball.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > -Mak
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                            > PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                            > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                            > PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                            > PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                            > PCGen's Data Help Grp: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                          • Michael W. Fender
                            Just a heads up, there s a FReq for multiple choices at: https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2491393&group_id=25576&atid=384722 Currently, it s
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 11, 2009
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Just a heads up, there's a FReq for multiple choices at:
                              https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2491393&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                              Currently, it's priority 2, which means it hasn't even been discussed yet.

                              On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:25:38 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                              > Hi Mak,
                              >
                              > That is interesting, not many requests for that. I don't know of a way
                              > to do it in one CHOOSE, you _might_ be able to do it with Two CHOOSE
                              > tags. First one being your CHOOSE:SPELLS and the second one being
                              > CHOOSE:FEATSELECT|TYPE.Metamagic
                              >
                              > That won't exactly tie them together per se, but it should display both
                              > on the feat as a Choice.
                              >
                              > If that doesn't work then we can try something more complex...
                              >
                              > -Andrew
                              >
                              > .... wrote:
                              > > (Take 2 Sorry mods, I should have read the Terms first )
                              > >
                              > > Greetings Folks. Newbie here.
                              > > I'm looking to add in a Feat and I'm having issues with the CHOOSE
                              > > command. I'm adding a feat that ties a spell to another feat. I can get
                              > > it to allow you to choose one thing but not the other. Is this at all
                              > > possible? Can you only make one "choice"?
                              > >
                              > > Example. The Feat Allows you to make a Permanent Maximize Fireball spell.
                              > > When selecting the Feat, you can choose Maximize, but not Fireball.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks
                              > > -Mak
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > > ------------------------------------
                              > >
                              > > PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                              > > PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                              > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                              > > PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                              > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                              > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html PCGen's Data Help
                              > > Grp: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/Yahoo! Groups
                              > > Links


                              --
                              Fluxxdog

                              The worst crime you can commit against another human being is to make them
                              think.
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.