Bards Armor proficiencies

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
      Rules question: do Bards get medium armor proficiencies?

      The class write up says "Bards are proficient with light armor and
      shields (except tower shields)."

      However in the file "Feats.rtf" under the description of "Armor Proficiency
      (Medium) [GENERAL]" that "Fighters, barbarians, paladins, clerics, druids,
      and bards automatically have Armor Proficiency (medium) as a bonus feat.
      They need not select it."

      To me it seems like the feat description is a simple mistake and also a feat
      description should not override a class description when it comes to setting
      class abilities.

      Does anyone know of any other text that might indicate that Bards get medium
      armor profs?
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
        Assuming you are speaking of 3.5, According to WOTC, the Entry
        granting them medium armor proficiency is the incorrect one:

        from:
        http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59043&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

        Quick note: page 89 is the incorrect entry. Andy stated in a Q&A that
        bards lost their proficiency with medium armor as they gained the
        ability to ignore ASF in light armor.

        Kent

        On 2/21/06, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
        > Rules question: do Bards get medium armor proficiencies?
        >
        > The class write up says "Bards are proficient with light armor and
        > shields (except tower shields)."
        >
        > However in the file "Feats.rtf" under the description of "Armor Proficiency
        > (Medium) [GENERAL]" that "Fighters, barbarians, paladins, clerics, druids,
        > and bards automatically have Armor Proficiency (medium) as a bonus feat.
        > They need not select it."
        >
        > To me it seems like the feat description is a simple mistake and also a feat
        > description should not override a class description when it comes to setting
        > class abilities.
        >
        > Does anyone know of any other text that might indicate that Bards get medium
        > armor profs?
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

        > PCGen's FAQ:
        > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2006
          Kent P scribed:

          > Assuming you are speaking of 3.5, According to WOTC, the Entry
          > granting them medium armor proficiency is the incorrect one:
          >
          > from:
          > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59043&perpage=30&pagenum
          > ber=1
          >
          > Quick note: page 89 is the incorrect entry. Andy stated in a Q&A that
          > bards lost their proficiency with medium armor as they gained the
          > ability to ignore ASF in light armor.
          >
          > Kent

          Thanks for tracking that down Kent, I suspected as much.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback