Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

[5.8.1 final] OSX build does not use "high memory" options?

Expand Messages
  • Jay
    So I download the OS X app for PCGen 5.8.1, and I was surprised to see that it apparently does not use the high memory options that the Windows install and the
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
      So I download the OS X app for PCGen 5.8.1, and I was surprised to see
      that it apparently does not use the high memory options that the
      Windows install and the standalone jarfile are now using by default.

      Was this an oversight in the OS X build?

      For those who are having problems as a result, here's a temporary fix:

      1) Open the PCGen 5.8.1 app bundle and go to Info.plist in the
      "Contents" folder.
      2) Double-click Info.plist to open it in Property List Editor.
      3) Open the Root node and the Java subnode; select Java and press "New
      Child"
      4) Name the new child node "VMOptions", set its class to "String", and
      enter "-Xms128m -Xmx256m" for the value.
      5) Save your changes and quit Property List Editor.

      If you're using a text editor instead, open Info.plist and insert the
      following two lines after the WorkingDirectory setting:

      <key>VMOptions</key>
      <string>-Xms128m -Xmx256m</string>
    • Michael
      ... Or just do what I do. When I want to run PCGen, I open a Terminal window, cd to the directory where PCGen lives, and from the command line enter the stuff
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
        --- Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:

        > So I download the OS X app for PCGen 5.8.1, and I was surprised to see
        > that it apparently does not use the high memory options that the
        > Windows install and the standalone jarfile are now using by default.
        >
        > Was this an oversight in the OS X build?
        >
        > For those who are having problems as a result, here's a temporary fix:
        >
        > 1) Open the PCGen 5.8.1 app bundle and go to Info.plist in the
        > "Contents" folder.
        > 2) Double-click Info.plist to open it in Property List Editor.
        > 3) Open the Root node and the Java subnode; select Java and press "New
        > Child"
        > 4) Name the new child node "VMOptions", set its class to "String", and
        > enter "-Xms128m -Xmx256m" for the value.
        > 5) Save your changes and quit Property List Editor.
        >
        > If you're using a text editor instead, open Info.plist and insert the
        > following two lines after the WorkingDirectory setting:
        >
        > <key>VMOptions</key>
        > <string>-Xms128m -Xmx256m</string>
        >

        Or just do what I do. When I want to run PCGen, I open a Terminal window, cd
        to the directory where PCGen lives, and from the command line enter the stuff
        after the #:
        # java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

        This is simple, and it has added advantages:
        * you can easily change the values
        * you can see any error messages thrown by PCGen[1]

        Michael

        [1] PCGen throws error messages?! Say it isn't so! <j/k> :-)
      • Eddy Anthony
        ... Hi Jay It was my understanding the a java app packaged this way did not need this as it was handled automatically. I don t have a technical background so I
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
          On 2/15/06 2:03 PM, "Jay" <jelmore49@...> wrote:

          > So I download the OS X app for PCGen 5.8.1, and I was surprised to see
          > that it apparently does not use the high memory options that the
          > Windows install and the standalone jarfile are now using by default.
          >
          > Was this an oversight in the OS X build?

          Hi Jay
          It was my understanding the a java app packaged this way did not need
          this as it was handled automatically. I don't have a technical background so
          I could easily be wrong.
          I did test for memory usage, I used the Process Viewer application. I
          opened PCGen (the packaged app) and loaded about 20 datasets, I the process
          viewer I saw the actual memory climb to just under 200 and the virtual
          memory get to somewhere around 400. I had no problems building characters.

          Are you experiencing low memory problems with it?

          > For those who are having problems as a result, here's a temporary fix:
          >
          > 1) Open the PCGen 5.8.1 app bundle and go to Info.plist in the
          > "Contents" folder.
          > 2) Double-click Info.plist to open it in Property List Editor.
          > 3) Open the Root node and the Java subnode; select Java and press "New
          > Child"
          > 4) Name the new child node "VMOptions", set its class to "String", and
          > enter "-Xms128m -Xmx256m" for the value.
          > 5) Save your changes and quit Property List Editor.
          >
          > If you're using a text editor instead, open Info.plist and insert the
          > following two lines after the WorkingDirectory setting:
          >
          > <key>VMOptions</key>
          > <string>-Xms128m -Xmx256m</string>

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        • Jay
          ... Yes. I was trying to export a character to PDF and it gave me an out of memory error (and suggested that I use the pcgen_highmem.bat file, which isn t very
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
            > Are you experiencing low memory problems with it?

            Yes. I was trying to export a character to PDF and it gave me an out
            of memory error (and suggested that I use the pcgen_highmem.bat file,
            which isn't very helpful).

            For datasets, I was using RSRD 3.5 Basic, RSRD 3.5 Advanced, and a
            homebrew dataset for WotC's Spell Compendium that has all of the
            Cleric spells and domains from that source.
          • Jay
            ... window [...] Not everyone wants to run PCGen from the Terminal; If they did, then there would be no need for the PCGen OSX app bundle.
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@...> wrote:

              > Or just do what I do. When I want to run PCGen, I open a Terminal
              window [...]

              Not everyone wants to run PCGen from the Terminal; If they did, then
              there would be no need for the PCGen OSX app bundle.
            • Eddy Anthony
              ... I ll investigate this tonight, updating the release package should not be a problem. Tod also mentioned that the Alpha folder was not included, I have in
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                On 2/15/06 2:32 PM, "Jay" <jelmore49@...> wrote:

                >> Are you experiencing low memory problems with it?
                >
                > Yes. I was trying to export a character to PDF and it gave me an out
                > of memory error (and suggested that I use the pcgen_highmem.bat file,
                > which isn't very helpful).
                >
                > For datasets, I was using RSRD 3.5 Basic, RSRD 3.5 Advanced, and a
                > homebrew dataset for WotC's Spell Compendium that has all of the
                > Cleric spells and domains from that source.

                I'll investigate this tonight, updating the release package should not be a
                problem.

                Tod also mentioned that the Alpha folder was not included, I have in the
                past included it in the same DMG but not in the install itself but I
                neglected to do that this time.
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Content Silverback
              • Mike Mitchell
                ... As far as I am aware, there is no need for the OSX app bundle at all - just double click the .jar to launch it. -- Without change, something sleeps inside
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                  On 2/15/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Or just do what I do. When I want to run PCGen, I open a Terminal
                  > window [...]
                  >
                  > Not everyone wants to run PCGen from the Terminal; If they did, then
                  > there would be no need for the PCGen OSX app bundle.

                  As far as I am aware, there is no need for the OSX app bundle at all -
                  just double click the .jar to launch it.

                  --
                  "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
                  sleeper must awaken."
                • Jay
                  ... If you double-click the .jar, you can t set any parameters or options when running PCGen. At least, not that I ve found.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Mike Mitchell <etherite@...> wrote:
                    > On 2/15/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:
                    > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@> wrote:

                    > > > Or just do what I do. When I want to run PCGen, I open a Terminal
                    > > window [...]
                    > > Not everyone wants to run PCGen from the Terminal; If they did, then
                    > > there would be no need for the PCGen OSX app bundle.
                    >
                    > As far as I am aware, there is no need for the OSX app bundle at all -
                    > just double click the .jar to launch it.

                    If you double-click the .jar, you can't set any parameters or options
                    when running PCGen. At least, not that I've found.
                  • Tod W. Milam
                    ... I *think* (but haven t tested) you can double-click the Linux shell script if you rename it from pcgen.sh to pcgen.command . I don t have a Mac on hand
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                      --- Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Mike Mitchell <etherite@...> wrote:
                      > > On 2/15/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:
                      > > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > > > Or just do what I do. When I want to run PCGen, I open a
                      > Terminal
                      > > > window [...]
                      > > > Not everyone wants to run PCGen from the Terminal; If they did,
                      > then
                      > > > there would be no need for the PCGen OSX app bundle.
                      > >
                      > > As far as I am aware, there is no need for the OSX app bundle at
                      > all -
                      > > just double click the .jar to launch it.
                      >
                      > If you double-click the .jar, you can't set any parameters or options
                      > when running PCGen. At least, not that I've found.
                      >
                      I *think* (but haven't tested) you can double-click the Linux shell
                      script if you rename it from "pcgen.sh" to "pcgen.command". I don't
                      have a Mac on hand to test this right now, though.

                      Tod


                      __________________________________________________
                      Do You Yahoo!?
                      Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Tod W. Milam
                      ... As far as I know java treats memory the same on the Mac as it does on other platforms, meaning you need to specify in the plist or command line if you want
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                        --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                        > On 2/15/06 2:32 PM, "Jay" <jelmore49@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > >> Are you experiencing low memory problems with it?
                        > >
                        > > Yes. I was trying to export a character to PDF and it gave me an
                        > out
                        > > of memory error (and suggested that I use the pcgen_highmem.bat
                        > file,
                        > > which isn't very helpful).
                        > >
                        > > For datasets, I was using RSRD 3.5 Basic, RSRD 3.5 Advanced, and a
                        > > homebrew dataset for WotC's Spell Compendium that has all of the
                        > > Cleric spells and domains from that source.
                        >
                        > I'll investigate this tonight, updating the release package should
                        > not be a
                        > problem.

                        As far as I know java treats memory the same on the Mac as it does on
                        other platforms, meaning you need to specify in the plist or command
                        line if you want to use more. It is possible using the .App
                        functionality to figure out how much memory is installed on the running
                        system and calculate dynamically how much to ask for. That is on my
                        list of things-to-do for PCGen. I have most of the pieces figured out,
                        just need to put them together and test it.

                        > Tod also mentioned that the Alpha folder was not included, I have in
                        > the
                        > past included it in the same DMG but not in the install itself but I
                        > neglected to do that this time.

                        A drawback to having everything in the .App I guess.

                        Tod


                        __________________________________________________
                        Do You Yahoo!?
                        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        ... That will be great! Until then I ll update this package to use the standard hi mem settings same as the other platforms with a note as to how to give it
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                          On 2/15/06 3:46 PM, "Tod W. Milam" <twmilam@...> wrote:

                          >> I'll investigate this tonight, updating the release package should
                          >> not be a
                          >> problem.
                          >
                          > As far as I know java treats memory the same on the Mac as it does on
                          > other platforms, meaning you need to specify in the plist or command
                          > line if you want to use more. It is possible using the .App
                          > functionality to figure out how much memory is installed on the running
                          > system and calculate dynamically how much to ask for. That is on my
                          > list of things-to-do for PCGen. I have most of the pieces figured out,
                          > just need to put them together and test it.

                          That will be great! Until then I'll update this package to use the standard
                          hi mem settings same as the other platforms with a note as to how to give it
                          more if desired.

                          >> Tod also mentioned that the Alpha folder was not included, I have in
                          >> the
                          >> past included it in the same DMG but not in the install itself but I
                          >> neglected to do that this time.
                          >
                          > A drawback to having everything in the .App I guess.

                          Naw, I just forgot.
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                        • Jay
                          ... I would be interested in seeing what you have, if it s in any way coherent.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tod W. Milam" <twmilam@...> wrote:
                            > As far as I know java treats memory the same on the Mac as it does on
                            > other platforms, meaning you need to specify in the plist or command
                            > line if you want to use more. It is possible using the .App
                            > functionality to figure out how much memory is installed on the running
                            > system and calculate dynamically how much to ask for. That is on my
                            > list of things-to-do for PCGen. I have most of the pieces figured out,
                            > just need to put them together and test it.

                            I would be interested in seeing what you have, if it's in any way
                            coherent.
                          • Mike Mitchell
                            ... Another possibility is to select the .sh file (just click once), then get info from the file menu in the menubar (or hit command I for the keyboard
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                              On 2/15/06, Tod W. Milam <twmilam@...> wrote:

                              > I *think* (but haven't tested) you can double-click the Linux shell
                              > script if you rename it from "pcgen.sh" to "pcgen.command". I don't
                              > have a Mac on hand to test this right now, though.

                              Another possibility is to select the .sh file (just click once), then
                              "get info" from the file menu in the menubar (or hit command I for the
                              keyboard shortcut). Click on the little triangle next to "open with"
                              to expand that and select "other ..." from the popup list of available
                              app. In the dialogue that pops open here - navigate to Terminal -
                              usually in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder - and
                              click Add. You may need to change the popup menu at the top of the
                              dialgoue from "Reccommended Apps" to "All Apps".

                              This associates the file extension with the Terminal application, so
                              you can from now on just double clik the .sh file to run the command
                              line jave command.

                              --
                              "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
                              sleeper must awaken."
                            • Mike Mitchell
                              ... From my experience I ve never neede to set any paramters or options - I just run straight from the .jar. I couldn t use the installer anyway with OS X 10.4
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                                On 2/15/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:

                                > If you double-click the .jar, you can't set any parameters or options
                                > when running PCGen. At least, not that I've found.

                                From my experience I've never neede to set any paramters or options -
                                I just run straight from the .jar. I couldn't use the installer anyway
                                with OS X 10.4 ;o) YMMV

                                --
                                "Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The
                                sleeper must awaken."
                              • Tod W. Milam
                                ... It s just in the idea stage at this point. Hopefully I ll be able to spend some time on it this weekend since it is a 3-day weekend for me. As I said,
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                                  --- Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tod W. Milam" <twmilam@...> wrote:
                                  > > As far as I know java treats memory the same on the Mac as it does
                                  > on
                                  > > other platforms, meaning you need to specify in the plist or
                                  > command
                                  > > line if you want to use more. It is possible using the .App
                                  > > functionality to figure out how much memory is installed on the
                                  > running
                                  > > system and calculate dynamically how much to ask for. That is on
                                  > my
                                  > > list of things-to-do for PCGen. I have most of the pieces figured
                                  > out,
                                  > > just need to put them together and test it.
                                  >
                                  > I would be interested in seeing what you have, if it's in any way
                                  > coherent.

                                  It's just in the idea stage at this point. Hopefully I'll be able to
                                  spend some time on it this weekend since it is a 3-day weekend for me.
                                  As I said, I've got most of it figured out. There is still one "a
                                  miracle occurs here" spot that I'll need to spend some time on, though.
                                  :)

                                  Tod


                                  __________________________________________________
                                  Do You Yahoo!?
                                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Tod W. Milam
                                  ... I tested both of these options and they both work in OS X 10.4. Tod __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam?
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 15, 2006
                                    --- Mike Mitchell <etherite@...> wrote:

                                    > On 2/15/06, Tod W. Milam <twmilam@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I *think* (but haven't tested) you can double-click the Linux shell
                                    > > script if you rename it from "pcgen.sh" to "pcgen.command". I
                                    > don't
                                    > > have a Mac on hand to test this right now, though.
                                    >
                                    > Another possibility is to select the .sh file (just click once), then
                                    > "get info" from the file menu in the menubar (or hit command I for
                                    > the
                                    > keyboard shortcut). Click on the little triangle next to "open with"
                                    > to expand that and select "other ..." from the popup list of
                                    > available
                                    > app. In the dialogue that pops open here - navigate to Terminal -
                                    > usually in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder - and
                                    > click Add. You may need to change the popup menu at the top of the
                                    > dialgoue from "Reccommended Apps" to "All Apps".
                                    >
                                    > This associates the file extension with the Terminal application, so
                                    > you can from now on just double clik the .sh file to run the command
                                    > line jave command.

                                    I tested both of these options and they both work in OS X 10.4.

                                    Tod


                                    __________________________________________________
                                    Do You Yahoo!?
                                    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Eddy Anthony
                                    The Mac installer for 5.8.1 has been updated. It now uses the same high memory option as the Windows installer and a separate installer for the Alpha datasets
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 17, 2006
                                      The Mac installer for 5.8.1 has been updated. It now uses the same high
                                      memory option as the Windows installer and a separate installer for the
                                      Alpha datasets is also included on the DMG.
                                      --
                                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                                    • Conor
                                      Please forgive me coming to this thread a little after the fact, but I have just reammerged from a long absence from these boards. There is a fundemental
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 24, 2006
                                        Please forgive me coming to this thread a little after the fact, but I have just reammerged
                                        from a long absence from these boards.

                                        There is a fundemental difference in how OS X manages system resources if you launch
                                        PCGen from the command line or double-clicking the .jar file versus having a Mac
                                        executable (which is really jsut a cocoa application package wrapper for the jar file).
                                        Without this cocoa wrapper, PCGen is just another java app to OS X, and is treated as a
                                        second class citizen. Though there are quite a few differences in how OS X handles these
                                        two kinds of applications, there are three specific advantages that users will notice fairly
                                        quickly.

                                        1) Memory Management: OS X does not offer any pre-bindings for java applications, only
                                        carbon and cocoa ones. This causes all kinds of performance issues. The most notable of
                                        which is how OS X manages memory usage from one application to another. A java
                                        application does not pass back it's active memory heap when it loses focus (when another
                                        application takes priority... say like you putting PCGen in the background and launching
                                        Preview to see how your freshly output PDF character sheet looks). This causes PCGen to
                                        basically be a memory sink, taking RAM from the OS, but never giving it back, causing a
                                        continiual loss of system performance until you close/quit the app.

                                        2) Graphics Acceleration: One of the big advantages that OS X has is that it can offload UI
                                        elements from the CPU to the graphics processor, freeing up the CPU for other tasks.
                                        Apple has long touted the benefits of "QuartzExtreme" and "CoreImage", so I won't rehash
                                        them here. Basically, Java applications are not eligible for Quartz acceleration, so you lose
                                        performance again here without the cocoa wrapper.

                                        3) Fit and Finish: I know, this seems like small banananas when compared to system
                                        performance, but lets face it, appearance is a big deal to the Mac community. When you
                                        launch the native jar file, you get the the java main class name up in the Application menu,
                                        and an ugly generic java icon in the dock. It just doesn't have that "Mac" feel to it.
                                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.