[TM][FREQ]The old "&" problem

  • Chuck Pint
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
      Currently if you use an "&" in any PCGen text field, the PDF OS blow
      up with a rather cryptic error. This is fixed in BIO by changing the
      "&" to "& amp;". I'd like to propose that one of two possible code
      fixes get done.

      First (and best IMHO), would be to filter all fields that a user can
      type text into, so that it changes "&" to "& amp;" (without the space
      of course). This would be the SPROP and NOTES from the various EQ
      tokens, BIO, NOTE.x , CATCHPHRASE, COLOR.x, INTERESTS, LOCATION,
      PERSONALITY.x, RESIDENCE, and perhaps a few more I missed. This has a
      minor problem for purely text based OS. It would be fine for PDF and HTML.

      Second way of fixing this, (and second best) would be to pop up a
      warning message when they typed an "&" into any text field in PCGen.

      Chuck
      OS Chimp
    • Byngl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        Well, there are already files in place that are _supposed_ to set up
        what characters get filtered/modified (system/outputFilters). Perhaps
        they are no longer being used. I know at one time this did work, but
        its been around since v2.4.5 (Feb 2, 2002), so it is possible that it
        has become broken...

        Byngl

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Pint" <pcgen@...> wrote:

        > Currently if you use an "&" in any PCGen text field, the PDF OS blow
        > up with a rather cryptic error. This is fixed in BIO by changing the
        > "&" to "& amp;". I'd like to propose that one of two possible code
        > fixes get done.
        >
        > First (and best IMHO), would be to filter all fields that a user can
        > type text into, so that it changes "&" to "& amp;" (without the
        space
        > of course). This would be the SPROP and NOTES from the various EQ
        > tokens, BIO, NOTE.x , CATCHPHRASE, COLOR.x, INTERESTS, LOCATION,
        > PERSONALITY.x, RESIDENCE, and perhaps a few more I missed. This has
        > minor problem for purely text based OS. It would be fine for PDF
        and HTML.

        > Second way of fixing this, (and second best) would be to pop up a
        > warning message when they typed an "&" into any text field in PCGen.
        >
        > Chuck
        > OS Chimp

      • Tex James
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
          I believe that this may be the case. On 1/30 I had sent 2 messages to the
          group asking why I was getting a strange error, only to later discover (on
          my own) that I had used the & in the Character sheet notes. I never
          received any messages saying that the & is not an allowed character.

          Tex James
          datexan@...
          dmntexn@...
          ICQ # 53512210

          Well, there are already files in place that are _supposed_ to set up
          what characters get filtered/modified (system/outputFilters). Perhaps
          they are no longer being used. I know at one time this did work, but
          its been around since v2.4.5 (Feb 2, 2002), so it is possible that it
          has become broken...

          Byngl

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Pint" <pcgen@...> wrote:

          > Currently if you use an "&" in any PCGen text field, the PDF OS blow
          > up with a rather cryptic error. This is fixed in BIO by changing the
          > "&" to "& amp;". I'd like to propose that one of two possible code
          > fixes get done.
          >
          > First (and best IMHO), would be to filter all fields that a user can
          > type text into, so that it changes "&" to "& amp;" (without the
          space
          > of course). This would be the SPROP and NOTES from the various EQ
          > tokens, BIO, NOTE.x , CATCHPHRASE, COLOR.x, INTERESTS, LOCATION,
          > PERSONALITY.x, RESIDENCE, and perhaps a few more I missed. This has
          > minor problem for purely text based OS. It would be fine for PDF
          and HTML.

          > Second way of fixing this, (and second best) would be to pop up a
          > warning message when they typed an "&" into any text field in PCGen.
          >
          > Chuck
          > OS Chimp

          PCGen's FAQ:
          http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/