Re: [PCGEN] [Data BUG] [Trackered] RSRD-Psionics: Deep Crystal Special Material

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
      On 2/2/06 12:53 PM, "Jeramie" <The_Winged_Lancer@...> wrote:

      > First of all, let me say that I absolutely love PCGen
      > and although this is my first time posting to this
      > group I do read almost every message that hits my
      > inbox and you guys are great. So, that being said I
      > did find a minor problem. I noticed when building a
      > couple of special items that PCGen does not allow you
      > to use Deep Crystal to make ranged weapons or
      > ammunition. Can we get this corrected? And hopefully
      > I didn't miss an errata from WotC saying it was for
      > melee weapons only... Keep up the great work!

      Thanks for the compliments, us monkeys always appreciate those :)

      After reading the RSRD entry on that I see you are correct, there is no
      restriction regarding ranged weapons.

      Looking at the code I find no restrictions to Melee weapons, what is causing
      the problem is that the EQMOD requires the original object to have the
      TYPE:Metal. Probably this came about from an interpretation of this text
      from Mundane Crystal:

      "Mundane crystal can be used in place of metal in weapons or armor, using a
      special forging process."

      and:

      "Because mundane crystal armor is considered to be made out of metal, druids
      cannot wear it."

      I guess it was concluded that only things normally made of Metal could be
      made from Crystal. The Deep Crystal entry does mention Bows, crossbows, and
      slings and I see nothing that explicitly says the object must normally be a
      metal object.

      Here's what I think needs to be done to fix it:

      On both the Crystal EQMODs remove the REPLACES:STEEL and the PRETYPE:Metal

      We don't want the PRETYPE:Metal because we want to be able to apply this to
      non-metal objects and we don't need REPLACES:STEEL because since Crystal is
      a BaseMaterial TYPE it will replace ANY other base material without that
      tag.

      Trackered:
      [ 1422813 ] [RSRD] Psionics: Deep Crystal Special Material
      <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1422813&group_id=2
      5576&atid=750091>

      > Jeramie
      >
      > p.s. If anyone has some really good character sheets I
      > could get my hands on that would be awesome!

      Do you mean Output sheets?
      We take suggestions on those as well.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thanks for the quick response. I can't wait for the
        change to go through. I'm a big fan of psionics so
        being able to use Deep Crystal this way will be really
        nice for me.

        Yes, I meant output sheets. I'll put together some
        notes on what I'm looking for and post them. Thanks
        again!

        Jeramie

        Jeramie Brown
        The_Winged_Lancer@...
        Rapto Oryx

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • sal smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
          You'll have to write the info from PCGen by hand but to get something a little flashier than the plain output sheet, go here, they have tons of character sheets, all free (just like our beloved PCGen)

          http://www.rpgsheets.com/

          > p.s. If anyone has some really good character sheets I
          > could get my hands on that would be awesome!

          Do you mean Output sheets?
          We take suggestions on those as well.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback

          PCGen's FAQ:
          http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

          Role playing games Online role playing games Role playing games online

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
            Not to be rude (well, a just a little), but the reason this wasn't fixed a while back (like right after I saw the post 2 days ago) is because there wasn't a tracker. I finally made one just now (I hate making trackers)...

            And we restrict Data Commit access to CVS for CORE (msrd, srd30, srd35, Spycraft at this point) sources to prevent accidental commits for mis-understandings. It really helps.Did you actually look it up in the RTF before deciding that the change was correct? I did, and then got distracted by dinner before posting for a TM to make me a tracker... Also fixed the Weapon proficeincy for the class while I was looking at both. Now that I've made a tracker, I fixed it in both HEAD and branch_5_8_0 (so it will be in 5.8.1), and closed the tracker.

            All data monkeys part of the project (and I'd love to have more join it - last I checked it was still open inventation) have access to the /alpha, and the non-core directory subsets of /d20ogl and /permissioned. This is planned to continue after we merge the projects. The adding the directory thing is not in the avail script, since we don't expect to add directories very often, especially outside of /data. While I'm in the Avail script adding you, Kar, I'm updating it for all the publishers we have in /d20ogl that have been added recently.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp

            > Again, something I need CVS access for, this is a quick fix for a Data
            > Monkey!

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ben_craig256" <ben_craig@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > In v. 5.8.0, Wilders are given Medium and Heavy armor proficiency at
            > > level 1 when they should only be getting light armor proficiency.

          • karianna03
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
              Hey Tir,

              >Not to be rude (well, a just a little), but the reason this wasn't
              >fixed a while back (like right after I saw the post 2 days ago) is
              >because there wasn't a tracker. I finally made one just now (I hate
              >making trackers)...

              That's my bad, should've made a tracker straight away (my intention
              was to create one when I fixed the bug). Quite right for you to be
              annoyed :-)

              >And we restrict Data Commit access to CVS for CORE (msrd, srd30,
              >srd35, Spycraft at this point) sources to prevent accidental commits
              >for mis-understandings. It really helps.Did you actually look it up
              >in the RTF before deciding that the change was correct?

              Yeah I did check the RTF, I was just commiting a test comment first to
              make sure that I could commit (I remember having trouble ages ago when
              I tried to fix a spelling mistake). It's a good call actually, that
              we need to make doubly sure that the latest source document
              (especially SRD and RSRD) are followed, have we got a _definitive_
              document for the RSRD and SRD that we should always refer to? I
              usually check the RSRD and SRD online, but I'm aware that there are
              fixes and changes to those.....

              >I did, and then got distracted by dinner before posting for a TM to
              >make me a tracker... Also fixed the Weapon proficeincy for the class
              >while I was looking at both. Now that I've made a tracker, I fixed
              >it in both HEAD and branch_5_8_0 (so it will be in 5.8.1), and closed
              >the tracker.

              Saw that, thanks :-)

              > All data monkeys part of the project (and I'd love to have more join
              >it - last I checked it was still open inventation) have access to the
              >/alpha, and the non-core directory subsets of /d20ogl and
              >/permissioned. This is planned to continue after we merge the
              >projects. The adding the directory thing is not in the avail script,
              >since we don't expect to add directories very often, especially
              >outside of /data. While I'm in the Avail script adding you, Kar, I'm
              >updating it for all the publishers we have in /d20ogl that have been
              >added recently.

              Excellent, thanks again I look forward to making some small data fixes
              (I might even learn the syntax beyond Lemur status one day ;p)

              Karianna
            • Frank Kliewe
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                > I tried to fix a spelling mistake). It's a good call actually, that
                > we need to make doubly sure that the latest source document
                > (especially SRD and RSRD) are followed, have we got a _definitive_
                > document for the RSRD and SRD that we should always refer to? I
                > usually check the RSRD and SRD online, but I'm aware that there are
                > fixes and changes to those.....

                In the top level of PCGenDM you can find a folder called "Publisher Source
                Material". In that folder you will find the copies of the various SRDs that
                the Data Team uses.

                Cheerio,

                Frank Kliewe
                PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
                The Modern Monkey

                --
                By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and
                wife. Proceed with the execution. (Captain of 'Louisa' in "The African
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006

                  > Here's what I think needs to be done to fix it:
                  >
                  > On both the Crystal EQMODs remove the REPLACES:STEEL and the
                  PRETYPE:Metal

                  > We don't want the PRETYPE:Metal because we want to be able to apply
                  this to
                  > non-metal objects and we don't need REPLACES:STEEL because since
                  Crystal is
                  > a BaseMaterial TYPE it will replace ANY other base material without that
                  > tag.
                  >
                  > Trackered:
                  > [ 1422813 ] [RSRD] Psionics: Deep Crystal Special Material

                  <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1422813&group_id=2
                  > 5576&atid=750091>

                  You also need to
                  1. add Ammunition to the TYPE tag
                  2. BONUS:ITEMCOST|TYPE.Ammunition|300 or
                  BONUS:ITEMCOST|TYPE.Ammunition|6 or whatever is correct. No SRD as the
                  moment. You used to be able to put in the per 50 cost and PCGen would
                  divide smaller quantities of ammo out to the proper cost. Don't know
                  if that's been changed.

                  or it won't

                  1. show up to be chosen
                  2. price correctly

                  I did not add this to the above Tracker as it is listed as Closed.
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                    On 2/3/06 11:15 AM, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@...> wrote:

                    > You also need to
                    > 1. add Ammunition to the TYPE tag
                    > 2. BONUS:ITEMCOST|TYPE.Ammunition|300 or
                    > BONUS:ITEMCOST|TYPE.Ammunition|6 or whatever is correct. No SRD as the
                    > moment. You used to be able to put in the per 50 cost and PCGen would
                    > divide smaller quantities of ammo out to the proper cost. Don't know
                    > if that's been changed.
                    >
                    > or it won't
                    >
                    > 1. show up to be chosen
                    > 2. price correctly

                    I didn't add Ammunition because the text did not say Ammunition could be
                    made from it, it does say "Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on
                    their ammunition."

                    I've no objection to adding it, I see nothing specifically prohibiting it,
                    the text just made it seem unnecessary.

                    What do you think?
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                      On 2/3/06 11:47 AM, "Eddy Anthony" <eddyba@...> wrote:

                      > I didn't add Ammunition because the text did not say Ammunition could be
                      > made from it, it does say "Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on
                      > their ammunition."
                      >
                      > I've no objection to adding it, I see nothing specifically prohibiting it,
                      > the text just made it seem unnecessary.

                      Just read it a bit closer and saw this: "Any item could potentially be made
                      out of deep crystal."

                      I'll go ahead and add it.
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                        > I didn't add Ammunition because the text did not say Ammunition could be
                        > made from it, it does say "Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on
                        > their ammunition."
                        >
                        > I've no objection to adding it, I see nothing specifically prohibiting it,
                        > the text just made it seem unnecessary.
                        >
                        > What do you think?

                        Sounds like a prime candidate for that 'PCGen expansion' set. Not specifically mentioned means it shouldn't be in the core set.

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp
                      • taluroniscandar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 6, 2006

                          > On 2/3/06 11:47 AM, "Eddy Anthony" <eddyba@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I didn't add Ammunition because the text did not say Ammunition
                          could be
                          > > made from it, it does say "Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this
                          power on
                          > > their ammunition."
                          > >
                          > > I've no objection to adding it, I see nothing specifically
                          prohibiting it,
                          > > the text just made it seem unnecessary.
                          >
                          > Just read it a bit closer and saw this: "Any item could potentially
                          be made
                          > out of deep crystal."
                          >
                          > I'll go ahead and add it.

                          Okay.

                          The reason I brought up ammo is that the original post asked about
                          "ranged weapons and ammunition".