[FREQ] Search capability for inventory

  • Darkon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 21, 2006
      It would be very useful if one could be able to search for a
      particular word for items in the inventory tab. For example, I may
      need to find "Garlic" but cannot find it by browsing the list.. With a
      search function I could simply type "Garlic" and it will find it for
      me.
    • Kent P
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 21, 2006
        I can't help with the program feature. but I have found a handy
        workaround. It requires using the Google desktop search, and Larry's
        any file indexer extension, to include .lst files. I can search
        "garlic .lst" and immediately find which list file it is in, with a
        line or two of text displayed around it to get some context. that gets
        me:
        "
        armsequipguide_equip.lst
        SOURCEPAGE:p.31 Fenugreek TYPE:Goods.Food.Spices COST:0.3 WT:0.0625
        SOURCEPAGE:p.31 Garlic TYPE:Goods.Food.Spices COST:0.01 WT:0.0625
        SOURCEPAGE:p.31 Ginger TYPE:Goods
        "

        On 1/21/06, Darkon <darkon_turas@...> wrote:
        > It would be very useful if one could be able to search for a
        > particular word for items in the inventory tab. For example, I may
        > need to find "Garlic" but cannot find it by browsing the list.. With a
        > search function I could simply type "Garlic" and it will find it for
        > me.

        > PCGen's FAQ:
        > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 21, 2006
          Have you tried right clicking and choosing Find? It
          is not perfect as it always starts from the begining
          of the list but it is often good enough.

          --- Darkon <darkon_turas@...> wrote:

          > It would be very useful if one could be able to
          > search for a
          > particular word for items in the inventory tab. For
          > example, I may
          > need to find "Garlic" but cannot find it by browsing
          > the list.. With a
          > search function I could simply type "Garlic" and it
          > will find it for
          > me.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • gtpdspin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 22, 2006
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@y...> wrote:

            > Have you tried right clicking and choosing Find? It
            > is not perfect as it always starts from the begining
            > of the list but it is often good enough.

            Actually I'd suggest that it is *rarely*, if ever good enough. The
            lack of a "Find Next" function makes it nearly useless.

            Phil.
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
              gtpdspin wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@y...> wrote:
              >> Have you tried right clicking and choosing Find? It
              >> is not perfect as it always starts from the begining
              >> of the list but it is often good enough.
              >
              > Actually I'd suggest that it is *rarely*, if ever good enough. The
              > lack of a "Find Next" function makes it nearly useless.

              As coincidences go, I'm just working on changing the useless "Find item"
              to a more useful "Filter Item", that if applied, removes all items from
              the list that do not match the specified filter, until the filter is
              changed or cleared. "Matching the filter" means that the item
              description contains the specified string, case insensitive.

              Sounds good?

              Regards,
              Stefan.
            • boomer70
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
                --- Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
                wrote:

                > gtpdspin wrote:
                >
                > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70
                > <boomer70@y...> wrote:
                > >> Have you tried right clicking and choosing Find?
                > It
                > >> is not perfect as it always starts from the
                > begining
                > >> of the list but it is often good enough.
                > >
                > > Actually I'd suggest that it is *rarely*, if ever
                > good enough. The
                > > lack of a "Find Next" function makes it nearly
                > useless.
                >
                > As coincidences go, I'm just working on changing the
                > useless "Find item"
                > to a more useful "Filter Item", that if applied,
                > removes all items from
                > the list that do not match the specified filter,
                > until the filter is
                > changed or cleared. "Matching the filter" means that
                > the item
                > description contains the specified string, case
                > insensitive.
                >
                > Sounds good?

                Personally I still think a Find Next would be a useful
                function. I generally don't use filters for things
                that I would want to turn on or off.

                For example, if I am creating a 1st level character I
                may want to filter magic items (because hopefully 1st
                level characters don't have any) but I wouldn't filter
                weapons or mundane equipment because I could decide to
                buy any of them.

                In this case a Find/Find Next would be helpful if I
                wanted to buy Holy Water but couldn't remember what it
                is TYPE'd as.

                -Aaron

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • wireframe6464
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
                  Just a note that this feature already exists in shard. I'd be very
                  interested to hear how this feature will be implemented in pcgen.
                  Will it be a "true" search engine, or a simple "starts with" query?
                  if my item is called "The Big Bad Sword (Black)", can I search for
                  "bad black sword" and have it return the correct result?

                  I've invested a lot of time into this area, and would be happy to try
                  and collaborate on anything that might be needed.

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@n...> wrote:

                  > gtpdspin wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@y...> wrote:
                  > >> Have you tried right clicking and choosing Find? It
                  > >> is not perfect as it always starts from the begining
                  > >> of the list but it is often good enough.
                  > >
                  > > Actually I'd suggest that it is *rarely*, if ever good enough. The
                  > > lack of a "Find Next" function makes it nearly useless.
                  >
                  > As coincidences go, I'm just working on changing the useless "Find item"
                  > to a more useful "Filter Item", that if applied, removes all items from
                  > the list that do not match the specified filter, until the filter is
                  > changed or cleared. "Matching the filter" means that the item
                  > description contains the specified string, case insensitive.
                  >
                  > Sounds good?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Stefan.

                • Stefan Radermacher
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
                    wireframe6464 wrote:
                    > Just a note that this feature already exists in shard. I'd be very
                    > interested to hear how this feature will be implemented in pcgen.
                    > Will it be a "true" search engine, or a simple "starts with" query?
                    > if my item is called "The Big Bad Sword (Black)", can I search for
                    > "bad black sword" and have it return the correct result?

                    I have just used a case insensitive substring method, no special fuzzy
                    intelligence in there, so your example will not find the item named.
                    Yet. :-)

                    Stefan.
                  • joe_morrison_pcgen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@y...> wrote:

                      > --- Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@n...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > gtpdspin wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70
                      [SNIP]
                      > > Sounds good?
                      >
                      > Personally I still think a Find Next would be a useful
                      > function. I generally don't use filters for things
                      > that I would want to turn on or off.
                      >
                      > For example, if I am creating a 1st level character I
                      > may want to filter magic items (because hopefully 1st
                      > level characters don't have any) but I wouldn't filter
                      > weapons or mundane equipment because I could decide to
                      > buy any of them.
                      >
                      > In this case a Find/Find Next would be helpful if I
                      > wanted to buy Holy Water but couldn't remember what it
                      > is TYPE'd as.
                      >
                      > -Aaron
                      >
                      > ----------------
                      > Aaron Divinsky
                      > PCGen Data Chimp, Doc Lemur

                      I haven't looked but would it be possible/useful to be able to filter
                      based on cost. i.e. only show items my character can afford. It
                      would probably also be good to be able to filter out zero cost items
                      because they probably apply to monsters instead of PC characters.
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
                        joe_morrison_pcgen scribed:

                        > I haven't looked but would it be possible/useful to be able to filter
                        > based on cost. i.e. only show items my character can afford. It
                        > would probably also be good to be able to filter out zero cost items
                        > because they probably apply to monsters instead of PC characters.

                        You're in luck, this feature is already in place. I just discovered it
                        recently myself. Make sure you have the amount you want to filter by set in
                        the Gold field below the right pane then click the filter button, the filter
                        you want is "Miscellaneous: Affordable".

                        It does include 0 cost items, and you are right, most of those are things
                        like base items and accessories, as well as some things like Artifacts which
                        are priceless but not worthless.

                        The list does not update if you change the Gold value but it is simple
                        enough to reapply the filter.
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback