[OS] Nested Inventory

  • Gene
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
      I currently use 5.6.1 but would like to switch to 5.8 or a later
      versions when they become available however in all subsequent releases
      there was a feature in the output sheets that I miss from 5.6.1. That
      feature is how items in containers print under the container and are
      indented. It sort of resembled the treeview on the inventory ->
      Equipping tab screen minus the branch lines.

      Is there some sort of option I'm not turning on, or is there a setting
      in one of the output sheet templates I can change to re-enable this
      feature or has this been removed from all later versions?

      As a DM I find it difficult to read the character sheets produced in
      any other way and since I maintain sheets for my NPC and 10 players
      (since not everyone can make it all the time), this makes things a
      WHOLE lot easier.

      Thanks
    • twmilam
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2006
        I remember that feature. I liked it alot.
        According to CVS, it was removed because it didn't always work
        correctly due to the internal representation of items in PCGen.

        Anyway, if you want that feature back you can do the following:
        Edit the file "fantasy_master_std.xslt" in the
        outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf file with a text editor.
        Change the line that looks like
        <xsl:apply-templates select="equipment" />
        with the following
        <xsl:apply-templates select="equipment" mode="tree"><xsl:with-param
        name="total_width" select="94"/></xsl:apply-templates>

        I tested it with 5.9.4 alpha and it seems to work great.

        Tod

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <caliboon@g...> wrote:

        > I currently use 5.6.1 but would like to switch to 5.8 or a later
        > versions when they become available however in all subsequent releases
        > there was a feature in the output sheets that I miss from 5.6.1. That
        > feature is how items in containers print under the container and are
        > indented. It sort of resembled the treeview on the inventory ->
        > Equipping tab screen minus the branch lines.
        >
        > Is there some sort of option I'm not turning on, or is there a setting
        > in one of the output sheet templates I can change to re-enable this
        > feature or has this been removed from all later versions?
        >
        > As a DM I find it difficult to read the character sheets produced in
        > any other way and since I maintain sheets for my NPC and 10 players
        > (since not everyone can make it all the time), this makes things a
        > WHOLE lot easier.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Gene
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 21, 2006
          Thank you a great deal, I really appreciate the suggestion.
          Unfortunately I get the following message from 5.8.1
          RC2: "java.lang.RuntimeException: attribute-set named
          equipment.title does not exist".

          At first I thought I might be getting this error because of
          something with my .lst files or the .pcg file from 5.6.1 (as in
          missing tags/properties on the items) but I created a new character
          and only added items from the SRDs and I still got the error.

          I wouldn't want to rely on the alpha, I'd prefer to wait for it to
          get a little more stable but I'll give it a try soon. Hopefully
          it's something that will work again in the next stable version of
          pcgen after RC2.

          The only problem I had with the treeview in 5.6.1 was that if you
          had multiple containers with the same name it would sometimes repeat
          the contents of the containers for each item. I resolved this by
          creating custom items where just the name was changed (i.e. Pouch
          (Belt) #1, Pouch (Belt) #2, Pouch (Belt) #3, etc.) I can't think
          that this problem was so bad that it had to be removed.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "twmilam" <twmilam@y...> wrote:

          > I remember that feature. I liked it alot.
          > According to CVS, it was removed because it didn't always work
          > correctly due to the internal representation of items in PCGen.
          >
          > Anyway, if you want that feature back you can do the following:
          > Edit the file "fantasy_master_std.xslt" in the
          > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf file with a text editor.
          > Change the line that looks like
          > <xsl:apply-templates select="equipment" />
          > with the following
          > <xsl:apply-templates select="equipment" mode="tree"><xsl:with-param
          > name="total_width" select="94"/></xsl:apply-templates>
          >
          > I tested it with 5.9.4 alpha and it seems to work great.
          >
          > Tod
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <caliboon@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I currently use 5.6.1 but would like to switch to 5.8 or a later
          > > versions when they become available however in all subsequent
          releases
          > > there was a feature in the output sheets that I miss from
          5.6.1. That
          > > feature is how items in containers print under the container and
          are
          > > indented. It sort of resembled the treeview on the inventory ->
          > > Equipping tab screen minus the branch lines.
          > >
          > > Is there some sort of option I'm not turning on, or is there a
          setting
          > > in one of the output sheet templates I can change to re-enable
          this
          > > feature or has this been removed from all later versions?
          > >
          > > As a DM I find it difficult to read the character sheets
          produced in
          > > any other way and since I maintain sheets for my NPC and 10
          players
          > > (since not everyone can make it all the time), this makes things
          > > WHOLE lot easier.
          > >
          > > Thanks

        • Chuck Pint
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 22, 2006
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <caliboon@g...> wrote:

            > Thank you a great deal, I really appreciate the suggestion.
            > Unfortunately I get the following message from 5.8.1
            > RC2: "java.lang.RuntimeException: attribute-set named
            > equipment.title does not exist".
            >
            > At first I thought I might be getting this error because of
            > something with my .lst files or the .pcg file from 5.6.1 (as in
            > missing tags/properties on the items) but I created a new character
            > and only added items from the SRDs and I still got the error.
            >
            > I wouldn't want to rely on the alpha, I'd prefer to wait for it to
            > get a little more stable but I'll give it a try soon. Hopefully
            > it's something that will work again in the next stable version of
            > pcgen after RC2.
            >
            > The only problem I had with the treeview in 5.6.1 was that if you
            > had multiple containers with the same name it would sometimes repeat
            > the contents of the containers for each item. I resolved this by
            > creating custom items where just the name was changed (i.e. Pouch
            > (Belt) #1, Pouch (Belt) #2, Pouch (Belt) #3, etc.) I can't think
            > that this problem was so bad that it had to be removed.

            It was so bad, that it would cause PCGen to go into infinite loops.
            And it was really hard to recover from it, because (at least on
            Windows) it forced your CPU to 100% PCGen. I think the problem was
            traced down to containers in containers, with multiple containers
            having the same names. Like having a sack full of sacks would do it.

            I'm afraid I don't know enough xlst to fix this, I'm sure that's where
            the problem comes from. But this should be trackered (it may already
            be, but I can't find it), as a bug (given it worked at one time).

            Chuck
            OS Chimp
          • Gene
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 22, 2006
              Chuck, thanks for addressing it.

              It seems that the behavior I saw was linked to the reason it was
              taken out. (I can see where putting a sack within a sack could
              cause it since it would recursively include itself within itself.)

              Unfortunately I don't know enough about how PC Gen works internally
              much less xslt to offer solutions. I have some ideas but I'm not
              sure whether they'd apply nor what would be involved in
              implementation.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Pint" <pcgen@c...> wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <caliboon@g...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you a great deal, I really appreciate the suggestion.
              > > Unfortunately I get the following message from 5.8.1
              > > RC2: "java.lang.RuntimeException: attribute-set named
              > > equipment.title does not exist".
              > >
              > > At first I thought I might be getting this error because of
              > > something with my .lst files or the .pcg file from 5.6.1 (as in
              > > missing tags/properties on the items) but I created a new
              character
              > > and only added items from the SRDs and I still got the error.
              > >
              > > I wouldn't want to rely on the alpha, I'd prefer to wait for it
              > > get a little more stable but I'll give it a try soon. Hopefully
              > > it's something that will work again in the next stable version
              of
              > > pcgen after RC2.
              > >
              > > The only problem I had with the treeview in 5.6.1 was that if
              you
              > > had multiple containers with the same name it would sometimes
              repeat
              > > the contents of the containers for each item. I resolved this
              by
              > > creating custom items where just the name was changed (i.e.
              Pouch
              > > (Belt) #1, Pouch (Belt) #2, Pouch (Belt) #3, etc.) I can't think
              > > that this problem was so bad that it had to be removed.
              > >

              > It was so bad, that it would cause PCGen to go into infinite loops.
              > And it was really hard to recover from it, because (at least on
              > Windows) it forced your CPU to 100% PCGen. I think the problem was
              > traced down to containers in containers, with multiple containers
              > having the same names. Like having a sack full of sacks would do
              it.

              > I'm afraid I don't know enough xlst to fix this, I'm sure that's
              where
              > the problem comes from. But this should be trackered (it may
              already
              > be, but I can't find it), as a bug (given it worked at one time).
              >
              > Chuck
              > OS Chimp

            • Frugal
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 22, 2006
                On Sun, January 22, 2006 6:18 am, Gene said:
                > Thank you a great deal, I really appreciate the suggestion.
                > Unfortunately I get the following message from 5.8.1
                > RC2: "java.lang.RuntimeException: attribute-set named
                > equipment.title does not exist".

                On line 328 of outputsheets\d20\fantasy\pdf\fantasy_common.xsl delete the
                following tag:

                xsl:use-attribute-sets="equipment.title"

                It is not really needed and removing it does not cause any problems.

                --
                regards,
                Frugal
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 22, 2006
                  On Sun, January 22, 2006 5:48 pm, Gene said:
                  > Chuck, thanks for addressing it.
                  >
                  > It seems that the behavior I saw was linked to the reason it was
                  > taken out. (I can see where putting a sack within a sack could
                  > cause it since it would recursively include itself within itself.)
                  >
                  > Unfortunately I don't know enough about how PC Gen works internally
                  > much less xslt to offer solutions. I have some ideas but I'm not
                  > sure whether they'd apply nor what would be involved in
                  > implementation.

                  The problem is that at the moment there is no way of outputting the
                  relative positions of equipment.

                  There is something internally that must store (or at least be able to
                  calculate) the nesting position because it is written to the save file.
                  This is written in the form of "1.2.2" which in this case would mean that
                  this piece of equipment is the 2nd child of the 2nd child of the 1st piece
                  of equipment.

                  If this could be exported then the XSLT that builds the equipment tree can
                  be updated to use this, which should be more stable.

                  --
                  regards,
                  Frugal
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, January 22, 2006 5:48 pm, Gene said:
                    > > Chuck, thanks for addressing it.
                    > >
                    > > It seems that the behavior I saw was linked to the reason it was
                    > > taken out. (I can see where putting a sack within a sack could
                    > > cause it since it would recursively include itself within itself.)
                    > >
                    > > Unfortunately I don't know enough about how PC Gen works internally
                    > > much less xslt to offer solutions. I have some ideas but I'm not
                    > > sure whether they'd apply nor what would be involved in
                    > > implementation.
                    >
                    > The problem is that at the moment there is no way of outputting the
                    > relative positions of equipment.
                    >
                    > There is something internally that must store (or at least be able to
                    > calculate) the nesting position because it is written to the save file.
                    > This is written in the form of "1.2.2" which in this case would mean
                    that
                    > this piece of equipment is the 2nd child of the 2nd child of the 1st
                    piece
                    > of equipment.
                    >
                    > If this could be exported then the XSLT that builds the equipment
                    tree can
                    > be updated to use this, which should be more stable.
                    >

                    > --
                    > regards,
                    > Frugal

                    Sounds like this is both a code and OS FREQ. Could a TM add this to
                    both? Or does that mean that two trackers have to be done, one for
                    code and one for OS?

                    Chuck
                    OS Chimp
                  • bebberd@att.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
                      Also would it be possible to sort the inventory alphabeticaly by location, similar to this?

                      Backpack
                      apple
                      bananna
                      coconut
                      Pouch
                      apple
                      bananna
                      coconut
                      Sack
                      apple
                      bananna
                      coconut

                      From: "Chuck Pint" <pcgen@...>
                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > On Sun, January 22, 2006 5:48 pm, Gene said:
                      > > > Chuck, thanks for addressing it.
                      > > >
                      > > > It seems that the behavior I saw was linked to the reason it was
                      > > > taken out. (I can see where putting a sack within a sack could
                      > > > cause it since it would recursively include itself within itself.)
                      > > >
                      > > > Unfortunately I don't know enough about how PC Gen works internally
                      > > > much less xslt to offer solutions. I have some ideas but I'm not
                      > > > sure whether they'd apply nor what would be involved in
                      > > > implementation.
                      > >
                      > > The problem is that at the moment there is no way of outputting the
                      > > relative positions of equipment.
                      > >
                      > > There is something internally that must store (or at least be able to
                      > > calculate) the nesting position because it is written to the save file.
                      > > This is written in the form of "1.2.2" which in this case would mean
                      > that
                      > > this piece of equipment is the 2nd child of the 2nd child of the 1st
                      > piece
                      > > of equipment.
                      > >
                      > > If this could be exported then the XSLT that builds the equipment
                      > tree can
                      > > be updated to use this, which should be more stable.
                      > >

                      > > --
                      > > regards,
                      > > Frugal
                      > >

                      > Sounds like this is both a code and OS FREQ. Could a TM add this to
                      > both? Or does that mean that two trackers have to be done, one for
                      > code and one for OS?
                      >
                      > Chuck
                      > OS Chimp

                      > PCGen's FAQ:
                      > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Chuck Pint
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, bebberd@a... wrote:

                        > Also would it be possible to sort the inventory alphabeticaly by
                        location, similar to this?

                        > Backpack
                        > apple
                        > bananna
                        > coconut
                        > Pouch
                        > apple
                        > bananna
                        > coconut
                        > Sack
                        > apple
                        > bananna
                        > coconut

                        That is already in the inventory tab in PCGen. In the Inventory|Gear
                        tab, right click on the right pane. At the bottom is a menu item for
                        Output Order, sorting by alphabetical order is there.

                        Chuck
                        OS Chimp
                      • Gene
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 24, 2006
                          Thanks for trying but I now get java.lang.NullPointerException:
                          null. I'll wait until it's addressed in another release and stick
                          with 5.6.1 until then.