Re: [pcgen] [Off-Topic] Best Christmas Present Ever

  • Frugal
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
      On Sun, December 25, 2005 2:24 pm, Keith Davies said:
      > On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:47:31AM +0000, Frugal wrote:
      >>
      >> I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
      >> born yesterday morning at 9:55.
      >>
      >> Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can
      >> be home for Christmas supper.
      >
      > Congratulations, Frugal.
      >
      > Hmm. I bet it was easy for you to get to sleep Christmas Eve, come to
      > that. I've always had difficulty there. I wonder if Yumiko'd help me
      > out?

      It is really easy. What you need to do is spend the previous 40 hours
      awake and in a perpetual state of low grade panic followed by a huge
      relief. Supprisingly enough you can pass out for 10 hours after that ;)

      --
      regards,
      Frugal
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
        On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 09:21:15PM +0000, Frugal wrote:

        > On Sun, December 25, 2005 2:24 pm, Keith Davies said:
        > > On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:47:31AM +0000, Frugal wrote:
        > >>
        > >> I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
        > >> born yesterday morning at 9:55.
        > >>
        > >> Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can
        > >> be home for Christmas supper.
        > >
        > > Congratulations, Frugal.
        > >
        > > Hmm. I bet it was easy for you to get to sleep Christmas Eve, come to
        > > that. I've always had difficulty there. I wonder if Yumiko'd help me
        > > out?
        >
        > It is really easy. What you need to do is spend the previous 40 hours
        > awake and in a perpetual state of low grade panic followed by a huge
        > relief. Supprisingly enough you can pass out for 10 hours after that ;)

        Yeah, sounds effective.

        I forget, is this your first? I found when our daughter was born it was
        pretty straightforward. Cai and I came home from downtown, Yumiko told
        me "tonight". Less than 12 hours later (barely) I was home again. That
        time, we were at the hospital maybe four hours.

        That's the *second* one. The first one, she woke up at silly o'clock
        with contractions, I woke up a few hours later. Around 3pm we went in.
        About 10 hours after that (IIRC) Cai was born. Yumiko was so exhausted
        by the end of it that she was sleeping through every other contraction.

        I got home around 4 am. I had to hang around until I got measurements,
        then pick up some food (I hope you remembered to eat) on the way
        home[1], ate, called a friend of mine in another time zone[2], then went
        to sleep. For about three hours, before I got a call from another
        friend of hours.

        "Mmmm?"
        "Is Yumi-chan available?
        "H' M'sko. Boy. 12:55am, 18 inch, 7 p'nd 11 'nce. B'." *click*

        I think she called the rest of Yumiko's friends locally and let them
        know; I didn't get *any* more phone calls until I woke up midafternoon.
        Very nice of Mitsuko. She even gave me a ride in later.

        [1] there was *one* Subway open, that time of night. Even McDonalds was
        closed
        [2] one hour ahead of us. She called me about her first at 6am my time,
        I called her about our first about 5am her time. I was afraid it
        was going to escalate and I'd get the next call at 4am....

        Keith
        --
        Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
        keith.davies@... maintaining your code is a psychopath
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
          > I forget, is this your first? I found when our daughter was born it
          > was
          > pretty straightforward. Cai and I came home from downtown, Yumiko
          > told
          > me "tonight". Less than 12 hours later (barely) I was home again.
          > That
          > time, we were at the hospital maybe four hours.

          Have you had a third? Careful if you do. :) Our second was similar to
          yours, but the third was ah...somewhat more hurried.

          Ann went to bed having had one or two very mild contractions all day
          long. At about 1:15AM, she woke up with the first of what she called
          hard contractions. We bundled the other two to the baby sitter, and I
          drove about 105 mph up the highway to the hospital, where I parked
          outside the ER and helped her walk in. The nurse took one look at her,
          and had her in a wheelchair and into the elevator in about 10 seconds
          flat.

          We got to the maternity floor and into the room, where our doctor was
          waiting for us. Fortunately for us, she'd just finished an emergency
          Cesaerian not 5 minutes before we drove up!

          Things accelerated rapidly after that. By the time we got to the room,
          Ann was at 5 or 6 cm and growing fast, and they were still in the
          process of hooking up the equipment and the nurses were all urging Ann
          *not* to push, all the while telling her it was too late for
          painkillers. :)

          Roughly 30 minutes after we'd gotten to the hospital, at about 2:45,
          Rachel was born. The Dr. said that if we decided to have another one,
          she was going to make Ann spend the last week in the hospital.

          I didn't even bother to drive home. There was a chair in the room.
          After I'd settled myself comfortably into it and was almost asleep, a
          nurse came in and quietly asked, "Are you aware that chair folds out
          into a bed?" I cracked an eye open and replied, "If I was, do you think
          I'd be trying to sleep like this?"
        • Keith Davies
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
            On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 07:39:04AM -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
            > > I forget, is this your first? I found when our daughter was born it
            > > was pretty straightforward. Cai and I came home from downtown,
            > > Yumiko told me "tonight". Less than 12 hours later (barely) I was
            > > home again. That time, we were at the hospital maybe four hours.
            >
            > Have you had a third? Careful if you do. :) Our second was similar
            > to yours, but the third was ah...somewhat more hurried.

            I don't know if we're going to have a third. Seems unlikely; juggling
            two is hassle enough, three might make it worse. It *is* possible,
            though. In fact, that might be part of why we're taking the daughters
            of a friend of ours this weekend (nine years old and one year old) --
            see if we can handle having more little ones around.

            Yes, I know how to take care of a baby. Delegate! *g*

            A friend of mine, his younger sister was born in the hospital parking
            lot. She was *tiny*. I don't know that she ever got big, in fact --
            her mom wasn't all that big herself.

            I remember when she was a teenager she was able to get into the house,
            even with the door chained. Her arm was skinny enough that she could
            open the door a bit, reach around and slide the chain... from the
            outside. Granted, that also means the chain was too long, but still.

            Another time she had handcuffs on. Briefly.[1] She put her hands down
            in front of her and they fell off.

            [1] no, I don't remember why. I was a little curious about it, though.
            She was small, but terribly cute.

            > Roughly 30 minutes after we'd gotten to the hospital, at about 2:45,
            > Rachel was born. The Dr. said that if we decided to have another one,
            > she was going to make Ann spend the last week in the hospital.

            Sounds like a good idea.

            > I didn't even bother to drive home. There was a chair in the room.
            > After I'd settled myself comfortably into it and was almost asleep, a
            > nurse came in and quietly asked, "Are you aware that chair folds out
            > into a bed?" I cracked an eye open and replied, "If I was, do you
            > think I'd be trying to sleep like this?"

            I assume you got up so it could be unfolded, yes?

            I found when Cai was born I'd sack out and doze for a bit. Not full-on
            sleep, but at least get my eyes closed for a while.

            Keith