Re: RE: [pcgen] [BUG]5.9.4 Weird WEAPONPROF behavior

  • barak@direcway.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005
      > When I look into the Weapon/Archaic tree, I see all arcana
      > weapons but the greatsword as non-proficient. The archaic weapons from
      > other sources and the greatsword are shown as proficient. :-(

      > > I don't know what to tell you, thinking it may be something
      > > in my own build I got the latest autobuild and followed your
      > > directions, I'm still not seeing the problem.

      Are the two of you checking this the same way? In the same game mode? With the same datasets loaded and nothing else?

      Is the non-proficiency penalty being applied if you give the character the weapon in question and do an output? (IOW, is it a simple display issue in the equipment lister?)

      And from your description Frank the first thing I would check would be the proficiency names in the Urban Arcana dataset in both the equipment file and the weaponprof filwe and make sure they match.

      Barak
    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005
        > > When I look into the Weapon/Archaic tree, I see all arcana
        > > weapons but the greatsword as non-proficient. The archaic
        > weapons from
        > > other sources and the greatsword are shown as proficient. :-(
        >
        > > > I don't know what to tell you, thinking it may be something
        > > > in my own build I got the latest autobuild and followed your
        > > > directions, I'm still not seeing the problem.
        >
        > Are the two of you checking this the same way? In the same
        > game mode? With the same datasets loaded and nothing else?

        I gave a step by step description of what I was doing in the first post of
        the thread, so Eddy should have taken the same steps. It seems to work for
        him.

        > Is the non-proficiency penalty being applied if you give the
        > character the weapon in question and do an output? (IOW, is
        > it a simple display issue in the equipment lister?)

        Yes. The output sheet shows it as well.

        > And from your description Frank the first thing I would check
        > would be the proficiency names in the Urban Arcana dataset in
        > both the equipment file and the weaponprof filwe and make
        > sure they match.
        >
        > Barak

        That was my first thought, too. After checking twice I copied the Arcana
        files into 5.9.3 (without the kits as they weren't implemented in that form
        there) and everything works fine there, so it can't be a data issue. I also
        checked with the kits lst files removed in 5.9.4 (as that was the only
        difference to what I tested with 5.9.3) and still when I select a Dwarf the
        only Archaic weapon from Arcana that is shown as proficient is the
        Greatsword, so that makes no difference.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur

        --
        That's it. Out you two pixies go - through the door, or out the window.
        (Nick the Barkeeper in "It's A Wonderful Life", 1946)
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005
          > That was my first thought, too. After checking twice I copied the
          > Arcanafiles into 5.9.3 (without the kits as they weren't
          > implemented in that form there) and everything works fine there,
          > so it can't be a data issue. I also checked with the kits lst files
          > removed in 5.9.4 (as that was the only difference to what I tested
          > with 5.9.3) and still when I select a Dwarf the only Archaic weapon
          > from Arcana that is shown as proficient is the Greatsword, so that
          > makes no difference.

          Well, bummer.

          I'm out of suggestions then. :/

          Barak
        • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005
            > Well, bummer.
            >
            > I'm out of suggestions then. :/

            Well, I'm happy. After all the time I spent on the MSRD and Arcana, I sure as well hope we fixed all the Weapon / Weaponprof dependencies...

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • Frank Kliewe
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005
              > > Well, bummer.
              > >
              > > I'm out of suggestions then. :/
              >
              > Well, I'm happy. After all the time I spent on the MSRD and
              > Arcana, I sure as well hope we fixed all the Weapon /
              > Weaponprof dependencies...
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > LST Chimp

              Err, what? You're happy that PCGen throws a bug when run on my PC?

              Please meet me behind the barn, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Hickory
              Stick! :p

              Cheerio,

              Frank Kliewe
              PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur

              --
              That's it. Out you two pixies go - through the door, or out the window.
              (Nick the Barkeeper in "It's A Wonderful Life", 1946)
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005

                On 27/12/2005 9:57 AM Eddy Anthony wrote

                >Frank Kliewe scribed:
                >

                >>I just tried with a clean install of the latest autobuild and I still get
                >>that problem. When I load Complete/Modern and Partial/Arcana/Modern-Arcana,
                >>start a new character, click the kits button and add the Default Dwarf
                >>(Shadowkind) kit and look at the Inventory tab, the Pickaxe appears as
                >>non-proficient.
                >>
                >>When I look into the Weapon/Archaic tree, I see all arcana weapons but the
                >>greatsword as non-proficient. The archaic weapons from other sources and the
                >>greatsword are shown as proficient. :-(
                >>

                >I don't know what to tell you, thinking it may be something in my own build
                >I got the latest autobuild and followed your directions, I'm still not
                >seeing the problem.

                I've tried it out with the latest source and data from CVS and I see the
                problem. It is almost as if the proficiency is being calculated before
                the arcana file is loaded. Have you tried playing with the priorities of
                the PCC files?

                Out of curiosity though, why is there a data source under the msrd
                partial tree that is not loaded when you load the msrd complete set?
                This is confusing to me, and goes against how we name the data sets in
                the srd/srd35 modes. Maybe a different directory name such as extras
                would be appropriate?

                Cheers,
                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code Gibbon
              • Frank Kliewe
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005

                  > I've tried it out with the latest source and data from CVS
                  > and I see the
                  > problem. It is almost as if the proficiency is being
                  > calculated before
                  > the arcana file is loaded. Have you tried playing with the
                  > priorities of
                  > the PCC files?

                  Ah, finally someone else sees it. I was already thinking there would be
                  gremlins in my PC. I haven't fiddled with the PCC rank yet, I will make some
                  tests in that direction tonight. Good Idea.

                  > Out of curiosity though, why is there a data source under the msrd
                  > partial tree that is not loaded when you load the msrd complete set?
                  > This is confusing to me, and goes against how we name the
                  > data sets in
                  > the srd/srd35 modes. Maybe a different directory name such as extras
                  > would be appropriate?
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > James Dempsey
                  > PCGen Code Gibbon

                  The PCC setup still needs work. When I asked to get some info on the design
                  philosophy of the MSRD source tree, that sparked a discussion that has not
                  been finished yet (partially because of lack of replies). Basically Modern
                  encompasses a variety of genres, that normally do not call for being mixed.

                  I was thinking to have 3 "Complete" sets, 1 Core, 1 Arcana and 1 Future. One
                  problem that I have is renaming the momentary Complete/Modern to Modern
                  Core, because renaming the source would break existing characters, so I may
                  well end up still doing a Full Complete set, just because I can't get rid of
                  that name.

                  I like your suggestion about an extras directory. We could treat the Core
                  MSRD as a standard and handle Future and Arcana as extras. But whatever may
                  come, I want this discussed first and will not act on a personal whim, which
                  means the reorganization will still take a while. It is just getting too
                  complicated to get rid of something after it has been established in that
                  area.

                  Cheerio,

                  Frank Kliewe
                  PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 27, 2005

                    > > I've tried it out with the latest source and data from CVS
                    > > and I see the
                    > > problem. It is almost as if the proficiency is being
                    > > calculated before
                    > > the arcana file is loaded. Have you tried playing with the
                    > > priorities of
                    > > the PCC files?
                    > >

                    > Ah, finally someone else sees it. I was already thinking
                    > there would be
                    > gremlins in my PC. I haven't fiddled with the PCC rank yet, I
                    > will make some
                    > tests in that direction tonight. Good Idea.

                    Testing this revealed that I can avoid this bug if I set RANK:0 in the PCC.
                    Any other RANK (I actually only tested 1,2,3 and 9) does not work. As a Core
                    campaign setting Arcana should have RANK:2

                    Cheerio,

                    Frank Kliewe
                    PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 12, 2006
                      REPOST. I've collected all the messages of this thread that have been sent
                      so far (between Dec. 19th and 28th) into this "digest". The problem still
                      appears in the latest autobuild.

                      ##########2005.12.26 --- Frank Kliewe##########

                      Could really no one recreate this problem?

                      -- Frank

                      ##########2005.12.26 --- Eddy Anthony##########

                      I just gave it a shot and could not recreate the problem :/
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)

                      ##########2005.12.26 --- Frank Kliewe##########

                      I just tried with a clean install of the latest autobuild and I still get
                      that problem. When I load Complete/Modern and Partial/Arcana/Modern-Arcana,
                      start a new character, click the kits button and add the Default Dwarf
                      (Shadowkind) kit and look at the Inventory tab, the Pickaxe appears as
                      non-proficient.

                      When I look into the Weapon/Archaic tree, I see all arcana weapons but the
                      greatsword as non-proficient. The archaic weapons from other sources and the
                      greatsword are shown as proficient. :-(

                      -- Frank

                      ##########2005.12.26 --- Eddy Anthony##########

                      I don't know what to tell you, thinking it may be something in my own build
                      I got the latest autobuild and followed your directions, I'm still not
                      seeing the problem.
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback

                      ##########2005.12.27 --- Frank Kliewe##########

                      I have updated to the latest Java version, but that didn't help either.
                      What's worse, I found out that it is not limited to archaic weapons, but
                      also happens with simple weapons. None of them from Arcana are shown as
                      proficient when I load the Halfling default monster kit.

                      Eddy, could you please check the attack values for the Dwarf's Pickaxe, the
                      Halfling's Slingshot and the Orc's Greataxe against the MSRD for me, so I
                      can finish the MSRD Default Monster validation process? I know I could just
                      add 4 for being proficient, but for a validation someone should actually
                      have seen the correct numbers, which I can't right now. :(

                      Cheerio,

                      Frank Kliewe

                      ##########2005.12.27 --- Barak##########

                      ##########2005.12.27 --- Tir Gwaith##########

                      ##########2005.12.27 --- James Dempsey##########

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28 9:28 AM
                        I still get this problem with 5.9.5

                        -- Frank

                        > > Using 5.9.4 with Java 1.5.0_04 on WinXP.
                        > >
                        > > Now set gamemode to MSRD Modern.
                        > > Select the Sources "MSRD > Complete > Modern" and "MSRD >
                        > > Partial > Arcana > Modern - Arcana". Create a new Character,
                        > > Stats all 10, Race Human, 1 level of Charismatic Hero. On the
                        > > FEATS tab select Archaic Weapons Proficiency. Switch to the
                        > > INVENTORY tab and use TYPE \ SUBTYPE \ NAME view. Open the
                        > > Weapon > Archaic tree. Sort the view by Source.
                        > >
                        > > You will now see that of all the Archaic weapons from
                        > > ArcanaEquipment.rft and ArcanaFXItems.rtf only the Greatsword
                        > > is shown as PROFICIENT:Y. All the other ones are red. I can't
                        > > find anything in the Data that might cause this. In fact, if
                        > > I copy the MSRD Arcana directory into the 5.9.3 Data (where
                        > > it hadn't been committed yet) and try the same procedure,
                        > > everything works. Trying with the latest Autobuild, the bug
                        > > is still around. I've found that WEAPONCATEGORY:Archaic was
                        > > missing in the MSRD miscinfo.lst and already committed that,
                        > > but that didn't cure the problem.
                        > >

                        > ##########2005.12.26 --- Frank Kliewe##########
                        >
                        > Could really no one recreate this problem?
                        >
                        > -- Frank
                        >
                        > ##########2005.12.26 --- Eddy Anthony##########
                        >
                        > I just gave it a shot and could not recreate the problem :/
                        > --
                        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        >
                        > ##########2005.12.26 --- Frank Kliewe##########
                        >
                        > I just tried with a clean install of the latest autobuild and
                        > I still get
                        > that problem. When I load Complete/Modern and
                        > Partial/Arcana/Modern-Arcana,
                        > start a new character, click the kits button and add the Default Dwarf
                        > (Shadowkind) kit and look at the Inventory tab, the Pickaxe appears as
                        > non-proficient.
                        >
                        > When I look into the Weapon/Archaic tree, I see all arcana
                        > weapons but the
                        > greatsword as non-proficient. The archaic weapons from other
                        > sources and the
                        > greatsword are shown as proficient. :-(
                        >
                        > -- Frank

                        [snip]

                        > ##########2005.12.27 --- James Dempsey##########
                        >
                        > I've tried it out with the latest source and data from CVS
                        > and I see the
                        > problem. It is almost as if the proficiency is being
                        > calculated before
                        > the arcana file is loaded. Have you tried playing with the
                        > priorities of
                        > the PCC files?

                        [snip]
                        > ##########2005.12.27 --- Frank Kliewe##########
                        >

                        > > I've tried it out with the latest source and data from CVS
                        > > and I see the
                        > > problem. It is almost as if the proficiency is being
                        > > calculated before
                        > > the arcana file is loaded. Have you tried playing with the
                        > > priorities of
                        > > the PCC files?
                        > >

                        > Ah, finally someone else sees it. I was already thinking
                        > there would be
                        > gremlins in my PC. I haven't fiddled with the PCC rank yet, I
                        > will make some
                        > tests in that direction tonight. Good Idea.
                        [snip]

                        > Cheerio,
                        >
                        > Frank Kliewe
                        > PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
                        >
                        > ##########2005.12.27 --- Frank Kliewe##########
                        >
                        > Testing this revealed that I can avoid this bug if I set
                        > RANK:0 in the PCC.
                        > Any other RANK (I actually only tested 1,2,3 and 9) does not
                        > work. As a Core
                        > campaign setting Arcana should have RANK:2
                        >
                        > Cheerio,
                        >
                        > Frank Kliewe
                        > PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
                      • Paul W. King
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 16, 2006
                          > I still get this problem with 5.9.5

                          Is it still present in 5.9.6?

                          Paul W. King
                          PR SB, BoD
                        • Frank Kliewe
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 16, 2006

                            I'm afraid so, yes. Just tested and it still happens.

                            Cheerio,

                            Frank Kliewe
                            PCGen Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS & TM Lemur
                            The Modern Monkey

                            --
                            You shouldn't keep souvenirs of a killing.
                            You shouldn't have been that sentimental.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 16, 2006
                              [ 1451706 ] weird WEAPONPROF behavior
                              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1451706&group_id=25576&atid=384719

                              Paul W. King