[Off-Topic] Best Christmas Present Ever

  • Frugal
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
      I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander born
      yesterday morning at 9:55.

      Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can be
      home for Christmas supper.

      --
      regards,
      Frugal
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
        Frugal wrote:

        > I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander born
        > yesterday morning at 9:55.
        >
        > Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can be
        > home for Christmas supper.

        Congratulations, Frugal!

        Stefan.
      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
          What great news!!!

          Congrats to you and your wife, Frugal!

          Segen eures Gottes. :)

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          > I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander born
          > yesterday morning at 9:55.
          >
          > Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can be
          > home for Christmas supper.
        • Keith Davies
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
            On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:47:31AM +0000, Frugal wrote:

            > I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
            > born yesterday morning at 9:55.
            >
            > Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can
            > be home for Christmas supper.

            Congratulations, Frugal.

            Hmm. I bet it was easy for you to get to sleep Christmas Eve, come to
            that. I've always had difficulty there. I wonder if Yumiko'd help me
            out?

            "Babe, I've got an idea. You know how I have trouble getting to sleep
            Christmas Eve? Well, if you have a baby that day, I think I'd be able
            to knock off really easi... what are you doing with that knife? I was
            just wondering!"

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
            keith.davies@... maintaining your code is a psychopath
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
              Congrats Frugal !

              -- david
              Papa-DRB

            • Andrew Wilson
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:47:31AM -0000, Frugal wrote:
                > I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander born
                > yesterday morning at 9:55.
                >
                > Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can be
                > home for Christmas supper.

                Congratulations!

                andrew
                --
                Taurus: (April. 20 - May 20)
                A mysterious portrait of you, painted by an acknowledged master,
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                  Frugal scribed:

                  > I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander born
                  > yesterday morning at 9:55.

                  Congratulations!
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 25, 2005
                    >I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
                    >born
                    >yesterday morning at 9:55.
                    >
                    >Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can be
                    >home for Christmas supper.
                    >
                    >--
                    >regards,
                    >Frugal

                    From my family to yours, Congrats and have a Merry Christmas!

                    Cheers,

                    Sir George Anonymous
                  • Paul Grosse
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                      <snip>
                      I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
                      born yesterday morning at 9:55.

                      Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can be
                      home for Christmas supper.

                      --
                      regards,
                      Frugal
                      </snip>

                      Congratz!!!!

                      Paul G.
                    • Spyder
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                        A hearty, heart-felt congrats to you and yours. May you and your family be healthy, content and be blessed now and evermore. Best wishes to you and yours. 8D
                        Hope mother and son are doing well and will be home soon.

                        Spyder

                        Craig Fabricius
                        moorheadspyder@...

                        Frugal scribed:

                        > I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander born
                        > yesterday morning at 9:55.

                      • Frugal
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                          On Tue, December 27, 2005 4:06 pm, Spyder said:
                          > A hearty, heart-felt congrats to you and yours. May you and your
                          > family be healthy, content and be blessed now and evermore. Best
                          > wishes to you and yours. 8D
                          > Hope mother and son are doing well and will be home soon.

                          Fortunately we were home by 7pm on Christmas Day. The hospital was really
                          nice and let us out a bit earlier than they were technicaly supposed to so
                          that we got to spend at least part of Christmas day at home.

                          --
                          regards,
                          Frugal
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                            On Sun, December 25, 2005 2:24 pm, Keith Davies said:
                            > On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:47:31AM +0000, Frugal wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
                            >> born yesterday morning at 9:55.
                            >>
                            >> Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can
                            >> be home for Christmas supper.
                            >
                            > Congratulations, Frugal.
                            >
                            > Hmm. I bet it was easy for you to get to sleep Christmas Eve, come to
                            > that. I've always had difficulty there. I wonder if Yumiko'd help me
                            > out?

                            It is really easy. What you need to do is spend the previous 40 hours
                            awake and in a perpetual state of low grade panic followed by a huge
                            relief. Supprisingly enough you can pass out for 10 hours after that ;)

                            --
                            regards,
                            Frugal
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 27, 2005
                              On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 09:21:15PM +0000, Frugal wrote:

                              > On Sun, December 25, 2005 2:24 pm, Keith Davies said:
                              > > On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:47:31AM +0000, Frugal wrote:
                              > >>
                              > >> I would just like to announce the birth of my son, Mallory Alexander
                              > >> born yesterday morning at 9:55.
                              > >>
                              > >> Mother and baby are both doing well and hopefully the four of us can
                              > >> be home for Christmas supper.
                              > >
                              > > Congratulations, Frugal.
                              > >
                              > > Hmm. I bet it was easy for you to get to sleep Christmas Eve, come to
                              > > that. I've always had difficulty there. I wonder if Yumiko'd help me
                              > > out?
                              >
                              > It is really easy. What you need to do is spend the previous 40 hours
                              > awake and in a perpetual state of low grade panic followed by a huge
                              > relief. Supprisingly enough you can pass out for 10 hours after that ;)

                              Yeah, sounds effective.

                              I forget, is this your first? I found when our daughter was born it was
                              pretty straightforward. Cai and I came home from downtown, Yumiko told
                              me "tonight". Less than 12 hours later (barely) I was home again. That
                              time, we were at the hospital maybe four hours.

                              That's the *second* one. The first one, she woke up at silly o'clock
                              with contractions, I woke up a few hours later. Around 3pm we went in.
                              About 10 hours after that (IIRC) Cai was born. Yumiko was so exhausted
                              by the end of it that she was sleeping through every other contraction.

                              I got home around 4 am. I had to hang around until I got measurements,
                              then pick up some food (I hope you remembered to eat) on the way
                              home[1], ate, called a friend of mine in another time zone[2], then went
                              to sleep. For about three hours, before I got a call from another
                              friend of hours.

                              "Mmmm?"
                              "Is Yumi-chan available?
                              "H' M'sko. Boy. 12:55am, 18 inch, 7 p'nd 11 'nce. B'." *click*

                              I think she called the rest of Yumiko's friends locally and let them
                              know; I didn't get *any* more phone calls until I woke up midafternoon.
                              Very nice of Mitsuko. She even gave me a ride in later.

                              [1] there was *one* Subway open, that time of night. Even McDonalds was
                              closed
                              [2] one hour ahead of us. She called me about her first at 6am my time,
                              I called her about our first about 5am her time. I was afraid it
                              was going to escalate and I'd get the next call at 4am....

                              Keith
                              --
                              Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
                              keith.davies@... maintaining your code is a psychopath
                              keith.davies@... who knows where you live."
                              http://www.kjdavies.org/ -- Damian Conway
                            • Brass Tilde
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                                > I forget, is this your first? I found when our daughter was born it
                                > was
                                > pretty straightforward. Cai and I came home from downtown, Yumiko
                                > told
                                > me "tonight". Less than 12 hours later (barely) I was home again.
                                > That
                                > time, we were at the hospital maybe four hours.

                                Have you had a third? Careful if you do. :) Our second was similar to
                                yours, but the third was ah...somewhat more hurried.

                                Ann went to bed having had one or two very mild contractions all day
                                long. At about 1:15AM, she woke up with the first of what she called
                                hard contractions. We bundled the other two to the baby sitter, and I
                                drove about 105 mph up the highway to the hospital, where I parked
                                outside the ER and helped her walk in. The nurse took one look at her,
                                and had her in a wheelchair and into the elevator in about 10 seconds
                                flat.

                                We got to the maternity floor and into the room, where our doctor was
                                waiting for us. Fortunately for us, she'd just finished an emergency
                                Cesaerian not 5 minutes before we drove up!

                                Things accelerated rapidly after that. By the time we got to the room,
                                Ann was at 5 or 6 cm and growing fast, and they were still in the
                                process of hooking up the equipment and the nurses were all urging Ann
                                *not* to push, all the while telling her it was too late for
                                painkillers. :)

                                Roughly 30 minutes after we'd gotten to the hospital, at about 2:45,
                                Rachel was born. The Dr. said that if we decided to have another one,
                                she was going to make Ann spend the last week in the hospital.

                                I didn't even bother to drive home. There was a chair in the room.
                                After I'd settled myself comfortably into it and was almost asleep, a
                                nurse came in and quietly asked, "Are you aware that chair folds out
                                into a bed?" I cracked an eye open and replied, "If I was, do you think
                                I'd be trying to sleep like this?"
                              • Keith Davies
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 28, 2005
                                  On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 07:39:04AM -0500, Brass Tilde wrote:
                                  > > I forget, is this your first? I found when our daughter was born it
                                  > > was pretty straightforward. Cai and I came home from downtown,
                                  > > Yumiko told me "tonight". Less than 12 hours later (barely) I was
                                  > > home again. That time, we were at the hospital maybe four hours.
                                  >
                                  > Have you had a third? Careful if you do. :) Our second was similar
                                  > to yours, but the third was ah...somewhat more hurried.

                                  I don't know if we're going to have a third. Seems unlikely; juggling
                                  two is hassle enough, three might make it worse. It *is* possible,
                                  though. In fact, that might be part of why we're taking the daughters
                                  of a friend of ours this weekend (nine years old and one year old) --
                                  see if we can handle having more little ones around.

                                  Yes, I know how to take care of a baby. Delegate! *g*

                                  A friend of mine, his younger sister was born in the hospital parking
                                  lot. She was *tiny*. I don't know that she ever got big, in fact --
                                  her mom wasn't all that big herself.

                                  I remember when she was a teenager she was able to get into the house,
                                  even with the door chained. Her arm was skinny enough that she could
                                  open the door a bit, reach around and slide the chain... from the
                                  outside. Granted, that also means the chain was too long, but still.

                                  Another time she had handcuffs on. Briefly.[1] She put her hands down
                                  in front of her and they fell off.

                                  [1] no, I don't remember why. I was a little curious about it, though.
                                  She was small, but terribly cute.

                                  > Roughly 30 minutes after we'd gotten to the hospital, at about 2:45,
                                  > Rachel was born. The Dr. said that if we decided to have another one,
                                  > she was going to make Ann spend the last week in the hospital.

                                  Sounds like a good idea.

                                  > I didn't even bother to drive home. There was a chair in the room.
                                  > After I'd settled myself comfortably into it and was almost asleep, a
                                  > nurse came in and quietly asked, "Are you aware that chair folds out
                                  > into a bed?" I cracked an eye open and replied, "If I was, do you
                                  > think I'd be trying to sleep like this?"

                                  I assume you got up so it could be unfolded, yes?

                                  I found when Cai was born I'd sack out and doze for a bit. Not full-on
                                  sleep, but at least get my eyes closed for a while.

                                  Keith