[BUG] 5.9.3 BONUS:CASTERLEVEL resetting caster level in feats

  • Evan Miller
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 22, 2005
      I am programming this feat:

      Experienced Caster
      TYPE:General
      PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=6
      DESC:For every two levels you have in a spellcasting class, your effective
      caster level increases by 1, but cannot exceed your total charatcer level.
      SOURCEPAGE:pg. 61
      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|min(var("CL=Cleric")/2,TL-(var("CL=Cleric")+var("BL=Cleric")))

      The problem is this:

      I take a Cleric 5, add a level of Fighter, then give him this feat. It
      should make his caster level 6.

      Current Casterlevel: 5

      Formula: min((5/2),6-5) = min(2,1) = 1

      So the new CASTERLEVEL should = 6.

      However, after applying this feat, the CASTERLEVEL of the PC is reduced to
      2. Which doesn't make any sense if if is setting it to the min, which would
      be 1. Regardless, this certainly isn't working right.

      Evan
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 22, 2005
        On 12/22/05 6:58 AM, "Evan Miller" <evanmiller@...> wrote:

        > However, after applying this feat, the CASTERLEVEL of the PC is reduced to
        > 2. Which doesn't make any sense if if is setting it to the min, which would
        > be 1. Regardless, this certainly isn't working right.

        How are you checking the casterlevel?

        I've plugged your bonus into a feat and checked the how it effected the
        create water spell, this spell creates 2 gallons per casterlevel so you can
        see it's effect from that. As far as I can tell your bonus works fine.

        Er, I should mention that I'm checking this against the current code base
        not 5.9.3.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 22, 2005

          > On 12/22/05 6:58 AM, "Evan Miller" <evanmiller@c...> wrote:
          >
          > > However, after applying this feat, the CASTERLEVEL of the PC is
          reduced to
          > > 2. Which doesn't make any sense if if is setting it to the min,
          which would
          > > be 1. Regardless, this certainly isn't working right.
          >
          > How are you checking the casterlevel?
          >
          > I've plugged your bonus into a feat and checked the how it effected the
          > create water spell, this spell creates 2 gallons per casterlevel so
          you can
          > see it's effect from that. As far as I can tell your bonus works fine.
          >
          > Er, I should mention that I'm checking this against the current code
          base
          > not 5.9.3.

          Ah... is the new version available yet? I didn't see any announcements.

          I was checking it by bringing up the HTML character sheet. Pre-feat,
          the character has a duration of 5 minutes on Bless. Post-feat, it
          goes down to 2.

          I then checked it against other spells, and sure enough... the
          summoning spells went down to 2 rounds, etc.

          Of course there is the slim chance that it's happening because of
          something else in the coding from the book. I have had bugs that were
          cause dby another piece of LST coding that was wrong but in a totally
          unrelated part of the code.

          Although I get no errors when loading this PCC file.

          Evan
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 22, 2005
            Evan scribed:

            >> Er, I should mention that I'm checking this against the current
            >> code base not 5.9.3.

            > Ah... is the new version available yet? I didn't see any announcements.

            5.9.4 has been out since 11/11/05

            > I was checking it by bringing up the HTML character sheet. Pre-feat,
            > the character has a duration of 5 minutes on Bless. Post-feat, it
            > goes down to 2.
            >
            > I then checked it against other spells, and sure enough... the
            > summoning spells went down to 2 rounds, etc.

            I was checking it directly in the spells tab, but I checked it on the html
            and get the same results. I also checked it in 5.9.3 and I got the same
            results.

            > Of course there is the slim chance that it's happening because of
            > something else in the coding from the book. I have had bugs that were
            > cause dby another piece of LST coding that was wrong but in a totally
            > unrelated part of the code.

            I don't think the error is within the bonus you posted, for me it does
            exactly what you gave as the feat description (of coarse it was specific to
            the Cleric but that's another problem eh?). Can we see the code from the
            entire feat, might give a clue as to what's going on.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 24, 2005

              > Evan scribed:
              >
              > >> Er, I should mention that I'm checking this against the current
              > >> code base not 5.9.3.
              >
              > > Ah... is the new version available yet? I didn't see any
              announcements.

              > 5.9.4 has been out since 11/11/05
              >
              > > I was checking it by bringing up the HTML character sheet. Pre-feat,
              > > the character has a duration of 5 minutes on Bless. Post-feat, it
              > > goes down to 2.
              > >
              > > I then checked it against other spells, and sure enough... the
              > > summoning spells went down to 2 rounds, etc.
              >
              > I was checking it directly in the spells tab, but I checked it on
              the html
              > and get the same results. I also checked it in 5.9.3 and I got the same
              > results.
              >
              > > Of course there is the slim chance that it's happening because of
              > > something else in the coding from the book. I have had bugs that were
              > > cause dby another piece of LST coding that was wrong but in a totally
              > > unrelated part of the code.
              >
              > I don't think the error is within the bonus you posted, for me it does
              > exactly what you gave as the feat description (of coarse it was
              specific to
              > the Cleric but that's another problem eh?). Can we see the code from the
              > entire feat, might give a clue as to what's going on.

              What I originally posted was the entire feat, except that the original
              one listed a BONUS:CASTERLEVEL for every spellcasting class available
              (which is quite a lot in that set of d20 books). When I was having
              that problem with it, I copied the feat and pared it down just to the
              cleric class to test to see if it was because I had all those other
              classes in there, but I still had this same problem.

              I'll have to download 5.9.4 and see if it fixes the problem.

              I almost wonder if it's from other errors I get... every time I load
              the files I get a long string of errors that say "Unrecognized bonus:
              EQMARMOR|MAXDEX|2", and I have checked those and there's no problem
              with all those tags, so i can;t do anything about it. But I once had
              a problem similar to that and it was prevnting a feat from working
              properly even though it was totally unrelated and in a different LST
              file. Once I cleared that up, the feat worked perfectly.

              Evan
            • Kevin Brown
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 24, 2005

                >>>Ah... is the new version available yet? I didn't see any
                >
                > announcements.
                >
                >>5.9.4 has been out since 11/11/05
                >>

                >>>I was checking it by bringing up the HTML character sheet. Pre-feat,
                >>>the character has a duration of 5 minutes on Bless. Post-feat, it
                >>>goes down to 2.
                >>>
                >>>I then checked it against other spells, and sure enough... the
                >>>summoning spells went down to 2 rounds, etc.
                >>
                >>I was checking it directly in the spells tab, but I checked it on
                >
                > the html
                >
                >>and get the same results. I also checked it in 5.9.3 and I got the same
                >>results.
                >>

                >>>Of course there is the slim chance that it's happening because of
                >>>something else in the coding from the book. I have had bugs that were
                >>>cause dby another piece of LST coding that was wrong but in a totally
                >>>unrelated part of the code.
                >>
                >>I don't think the error is within the bonus you posted, for me it does
                >>exactly what you gave as the feat description (of coarse it was
                >
                > specific to
                >
                >>the Cleric but that's another problem eh?). Can we see the code from the
                >>entire feat, might give a clue as to what's going on.
                >

                > What I originally posted was the entire feat, except that the original
                > one listed a BONUS:CASTERLEVEL for every spellcasting class available
                > (which is quite a lot in that set of d20 books). When I was having
                > that problem with it, I copied the feat and pared it down just to the
                > cleric class to test to see if it was because I had all those other
                > classes in there, but I still had this same problem.
                >
                > I'll have to download 5.9.4 and see if it fixes the problem.
                >
                > I almost wonder if it's from other errors I get... every time I load
                > the files I get a long string of errors that say "Unrecognized bonus:
                > EQMARMOR|MAXDEX|2", and I have checked those and there's no problem
                > with all those tags, so i can;t do anything about it. But I once had
                > a problem similar to that and it was prevnting a feat from working
                > properly even though it was totally unrelated and in a different LST
                > file. Once I cleared that up, the feat worked perfectly.

                You might want to consider just using the latest Stable PCGen release
                (5.8.0) rather than the Alpha releases if you are just needing it for
                your campaign and aren't working on code or datasets for future
                releases. At least that should give you a version with known issues for
                a while :)
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 24, 2005

                  > > I was checking it by bringing up the HTML character sheet. Pre-feat,
                  > > the character has a duration of 5 minutes on Bless. Post-feat, it
                  > > goes down to 2.
                  > >
                  > > I then checked it against other spells, and sure enough... the
                  > > summoning spells went down to 2 rounds, etc.
                  >
                  > I was checking it directly in the spells tab, but I checked it on
                  the html
                  > and get the same results. I also checked it in 5.9.3 and I got the same
                  > results.
                  >
                  > > Of course there is the slim chance that it's happening because of
                  > > something else in the coding from the book. I have had bugs that were
                  > > cause dby another piece of LST coding that was wrong but in a totally
                  > > unrelated part of the code.
                  >
                  > I don't think the error is within the bonus you posted, for me it does
                  > exactly what you gave as the feat description (of coarse it was
                  specific to
                  > the Cleric but that's another problem eh?). Can we see the code from the
                  > entire feat, might give a clue as to what's going on.

                  You know it's funny... now I go back and try again and now it just
                  doesn't give ANY bonus to it. Add a level of fighter, take the feat,
                  and the duration is still 5 minutes on Bless... WTF?? Grrr... This
                  makes no sense.

                  Okay, off to download new version and hopefully it will clear it up...

                  Evan
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005

                    > > I was checking it by bringing up the HTML character sheet. Pre-feat,
                    > > the character has a duration of 5 minutes on Bless. Post-feat, it
                    > > goes down to 2.
                    > >
                    > > I then checked it against other spells, and sure enough... the
                    > > summoning spells went down to 2 rounds, etc.
                    >
                    > I was checking it directly in the spells tab, but I checked it on
                    the html
                    > and get the same results. I also checked it in 5.9.3 and I got the same
                    > results.
                    >
                    > > Of course there is the slim chance that it's happening because of
                    > > something else in the coding from the book. I have had bugs that were
                    > > cause dby another piece of LST coding that was wrong but in a totally
                    > > unrelated part of the code.
                    >
                    > I don't think the error is within the bonus you posted, for me it does
                    > exactly what you gave as the feat description (of coarse it was
                    specific to
                    > the Cleric but that's another problem eh?). Can we see the code from the
                    > entire feat, might give a clue as to what's going on.

                    Okay, I downloaded 5.9.4 and tried it and it still doesn;t work.

                    Here is the feat:

                    Experienced Caster
                    TYPE:General
                    PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=6
                    DESC:For every two levels you have in a spellcasting class, your
                    effective caster level increases by 1, but cannot exceed your total
                    character level.
                    SOURCEPAGE:pg. 61
                    BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|min(var("CL=Cleric"),TL-(var("CL=Cleric")+var("BL=Cleric"))

                    Now, that Cleric 5, taking a level of fighter (TL now = 6) and taking
                    the feat gets no increase to CASTERLEVEL. All variable spell
                    components stay at CASTERLEVEL 5.

                    Evan
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Brown" <kevin_brown@q...> wrote:

                      > You might want to consider just using the latest Stable PCGen release
                      > (5.8.0) rather than the Alpha releases if you are just needing it for
                      > your campaign and aren't working on code or datasets for future
                      > releases. At least that should give you a version with known issues
                      for
                      > a while :)

                      Yeah... not a bad idea, but the problem is even in stable 5.8.0 there
                      are issues that have been fixed in later alpha releases that are "code
                      killers" for what I am trying to code. i.e. there's somehting major
                      that just doesn't work if I don't use th enewest release.

                      Evan
                    • Andrew Wilson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
                        On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 12:22:03AM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
                        > You might want to consider just using the latest Stable PCGen release
                        > (5.8.0) rather than the Alpha releases if you are just needing it for
                        > your campaign and aren't working on code or datasets for future
                        > releases. At least that should give you a version with known issues for
                        > a while :)

                        I don't agree. The more people using a release, the more likely we are
                        to find any problems with it. The only reason I can think of for using
                        the latest stable version is if you've got a third party data set. If
                        you're coding your own stuff, using the latest and greatest is a good
                        idea IMO.

                        andrew
                        --
                        Sagittarius: (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21)
                        Unfortunately, the police have also heard the story where the
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
                          Evan scribed:

                          > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|min(var("CL=Cleric"),TL-(var("CL=Cleric")+var("BL=Cle
                          > ric"))

                          I think this is a case of a missing closing parentheses, this has got me
                          more than once. Try adding one more ) to the end.

                          Also shouldn't the first value be var("CL=Cleric")/2 to grant half the
                          current levels?
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
                            Evan scribed:

                            > You know it's funny... now I go back and try again and now it just
                            > doesn't give ANY bonus to it. Add a level of fighter, take the feat,
                            > and the duration is still 5 minutes on Bless... WTF?? Grrr... This
                            > makes no sense.

                            You should try some troubleshooting methods to eliminate other possible
                            issues, make a separate testing set which contains only the feat and load
                            that and the RSRD by itself and see if you get the same problems. If not
                            there is something somewhere else in your homebrew set that is mucking
                            things up.
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
                              On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:06:02 -0000, you wrote:

                              >Okay, I downloaded 5.9.4 and tried it and it still doesn;t work.
                              >
                              >Here is the feat:
                              >
                              >Experienced Caster
                              >TYPE:General
                              >PRESKILL:1,Spellcraft=6
                              >DESC:For every two levels you have in a spellcasting class, your
                              >effective caster level increases by 1, but cannot exceed your total
                              >character level.
                              >SOURCEPAGE:pg. 61
                              >BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|min(var("CL=Cleric"),TL-(var("CL=Cleric")+var("BL=Cleric"))
                              >
                              >Now, that Cleric 5, taking a level of fighter (TL now = 6) and taking
                              >the feat gets no increase to CASTERLEVEL. All variable spell
                              >components stay at CASTERLEVEL 5.
                              >
                              >Evan

                              Not that I can follow algebraical expressions too well, but should the last
                              be +var("CL=Cleric") rather than +var("BL=Cleric")? What is BL anyways?

                              Don't recall if it was suggested or not but you might try the experimental
                              list as they seem to be working on the similar subject.

                              To learn more about the pcgen_experimental group, please visit
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen_experimental

                              To start sending messages to members of this group, simply
                              send email to
                              pcgen_experimental@yahoogroups.com
                              --

                              Terry FitzSimons
                              FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
                                Terry FitzSimons scribed:

                                > Not that I can follow algebraical expressions too well, but should the last
                                > be +var("CL=Cleric") rather than +var("BL=Cleric")? What is BL anyways?

                                BL=<class name> returns bonus spellcasting levels, you usually get these
                                from prestige classes. Arcane Trickster does this.

                                So that part of his formula is total levels subtracted by actual cleric
                                levels and any bonus cleric levels he might have. Thus is the PC had only
                                Cleric levels and a prestige class which granted bonus cleric levels the
                                feat would grant no benefit.
                                --
                                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                ~ PCGen Content Silverback