Re: [pcgen] Re: [Bug] [Trackered] Skill Survival et all not working as should

  • Truth
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 11, 2005
      On 12/4/05, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
      > ovka scribed:
      >
      > >> Problems with expressing this with SA tags, well where would you put
      > >> it? I
      > >> see no way to add them automatically since Survival can be used
      > >> without
      > >> ranks.
      > >
      > > How about if we put the tags on the skills that provide the bonus.
      > > In this case, rather than put them all on the Survival skill, one
      > > each goes on Knowledge(Nature), Knowledge(The Planes), Knowledge
      > > (Geography), Knowledge(Dungeoneering), and Search. That way, the
      > > bonuses come into play when you have ranks in those skills rather
      > > than the other way around.
      >
      > That would not solve this particular problem, I use ranks to control
      > visibility but the ranks come from Survival. Survival can be used untrained
      > so it shows all the time but I've set the subskills to untrained:no so the
      > only get ranks when the synergy kicks in. It doesn't matter if those bonuses
      > are set in Survival or the knowledge skills, if Survival has no ranks to
      > pass to the subskills they will not show up.
      >
      > We could hack it so that one point of the synergy goes into a rank instead
      > of the bonus, The total would be correct but the ranks would be off.

      Can we put this under "Bad Idea"? I can already see people trying to
      report the rank of survival showing up on their sheets as a bug.

      --
      Truth.
      There is no religion higher than the Truth.
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 20, 2005
        On 12/2/05 3:21 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I'm thinking. Code them so the RANKs are only in the
        > main skill (VISIBLE:Export or something) and then add TYPE:Conditional. Set
        > up a preference to only display Conditional skills if
        > a) the preference is checked (Default OFF, because the lengthy skill listing
        > would make this unweildy for those who don't want it, at least untill we get
        > an outcry from users for it to be Default out of the box. For those using
        > TEMP bonuses, they'd want it off....)
        > AND
        > b) the character has a different TOTAL in the conditional than the main
        > skill - Like having the +4 bonus to Combat Casting from the feat

        I run across another problem with this implementation yesterday.

        If you are adding a feat that allows a choice of skills for whatever reason
        VISIBLE:EXPORT skills are displayed. I encountered this working on the
        Loremasters Instant Mastery ability, I found that all the Survival
        sub-skill, while not now visible in the GUI, could be selected and ranks
        added this way.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback