PCGen.app and Mac OS Tiger

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005
      Good news for Tiger users, the problem and solution to the PCGen.app package
      crashing in Tiger has been found. It has something to do with using the
      Macintosh Menu bar instead of having it right on the application, Tiger
      seems not to like this. So for future installers the menu bar will appear in
      the application window.

      For those who have already downloaded 5.8 or any of the previous Mac
      installer this problem can be fixed this way: control-click on the PCGen.app
      and choose "Show Package Contents", then open the Contents folder. In there
      you will see a file named Info.plist, open this with a text editor.

      Find these lines:
      <dict>
      <key>apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar</key>
      <string>true</string>
      </dict>

      And change it to this:
      <dict>
      <key>apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar</key>
      <string>false</string>
      </dict>

      A big thank you to macJava (xtianstone) who posted this info into the
      tracker some time ago which I failed to notice :(

      Now moving forward, I have passed Eric the freshly minted and Tiger friendly
      Mac installer for 5.9.4. I'm sure he will let you know once it has been put
      up on the download release sites.

      This is a bit of an experiment, I've changed the configuration of the
      package and I'd like to get feedback from our Mac users to see if this
      configuration is preferred and if there are any issues with it.

      The change is this: Now ALL the PCGen files are contained within the
      PCGen.app. So instead of a folder with the app and the data, docs, lib and
      other folders you will see just the "PCGen 5.9.4" application by itself and
      not inside a folder at all. Everything works same as before the only
      difference is that in order to access the files you will need to follow the
      instruction above. You can always go to the location preference and point
      PCGen to folder in other locations outside of the app if you need to.

      One nice benefit to this is that it cuts about 9 or 10mb off the download,
      this is because the lib folder needed to be both inside and outside the app
      but now with everything inside there is no duplication.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback