Help me with this error please!

  • Jason Pargeter
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2005
      I have removed PCGen from my computer, d/l the 5.94 build from sf,
      updated Java to 1.5.0_06-b05. When I try to run PCGen_high_mem.bat I
      get the splash screen and the dialog box which asks for what directory
      to place Options.ini - Regardless of what I choose, I get the
      following message on the cmd window and the program fails to launch.
      What now? - I have to get this working in a hurry as I am the
      character sheet keeper!

      C:\PCGen\PCGen594>java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
      Bad main entry point in pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI
      at pcgen.core.Main.main(Main.java:77)
      at javax.swing.border.EmptyBorder.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at
      com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsTableHeaderUI$XPDefaultRendere
      r.getTableCellRendererComponent(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableHeaderUI.getHeaderRenderer(Unknown S
      ource)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableHeaderUI.getHeaderHeight(Unknown Sou
      rce)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableHeaderUI.createHeaderSize(Unknown So
      urce)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTableHeaderUI.getPreferredSize(Unknown So
      urce)
      at
      com.l2fprod.common.swing.plaf.wrap.WrapTableHeaderUI.getPreferredSize
      (Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.ViewportLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.ScrollPaneLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown
      Source)
      at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.GridBagLayout.GetLayoutInfo(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.GridBagLayout.getLayoutInfo(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.GridBagLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI$BasicHorizontalLayoutManager.
      preferredLayoutSize(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI.getPreferredSize(Unknown Sour
      ce)
      at
      com.l2fprod.common.swing.plaf.wrap.WrapSplitPaneUI.getPreferredSize(U
      nknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.BorderLayout.preferredLayoutSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.preferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI$BasicHorizontalLayoutManager.
      getPreferredSizeOfComponent(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI$BasicHorizontalLayoutManager.
      getPreferredSizes(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI$BasicHorizontalLayoutManager.
      resetToPreferredSizes(Unknown Source)
      at
      javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI$BasicHorizontalLayoutManager.
      layoutContainer(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.layout(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Window.show(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:204)
      at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(pcGenGUI.java:382)
      ... 5 more
    • Bragalus
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2005
        If this is a windows xp system, you might want to try this: Right click the zip file you downloaded and select properties. Under the Advanced button, there might be a unblock button. If so, click this button then unzip.

        ~Jim
[...]

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

      • Jason Pargeter
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2005
          I took a look at this, but sadly, no dice - I get the same
          behaviour...Namely some kind of java.lang.NullPointerException.
          Anyone else have an idea? I checked and my previously working
          installation of 5.80 is doing the same thing - Have I hosed my copy of
          Java??

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Bragalus" <Bragalus@v...> wrote:

          > If this is a windows xp system, you might want to try this: Right
          click the zip file you downloaded and select properties. Under the
          Advanced button, there might be a unblock button. If so, click this
          button then unzip.

          > ~Jim

          Source)
> [...]
          > javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicSplitPaneUI$BasicHorizontalLayoutManager.
          > layoutContainer(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.layout(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Container.validate(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Window.show(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:204)
          > at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(pcGenGUI.java:382)

          Service.

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
            Hi Jason,

            On 6/12/2005 2:38 PM Jason Pargeter wrote

            >I took a look at this, but sadly, no dice - I get the same
            >behaviour...Namely some kind of java.lang.NullPointerException.
            >Anyone else have an idea? I checked and my previously working
            >installation of 5.80 is doing the same thing - Have I hosed my copy of
            >Java??

            It does sound like it. Note that problem reported is deep inside the
            Java runtime, so is unlikely to be something caused by the program.

            I would do the following:

            * Uninstall java
            * At a command line, run
            java -version
            and see what the result is. After you uninstall, it should be "Unknown
            command"
            * Particularly if the above command comes back with a version, ensure
            that there are no other versions of Java installed.

            * Reinstall Java
            * Retest pcgen
            * If that doesn't work, best to grab a clean download of Java from
            http://java.com/

            Cheers,
            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code Gibbon
          • Freeb Frost
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 14, 2005
              > I would do the following:
              >
              > * Uninstall java
              > * At a command line, run
              > java -version
              > and see what the result is. After you uninstall, it should be
              "Unknown
              > command"
              > * Particularly if the above command comes back with a version,
              ensure
              > that there are no other versions of Java installed.
              >
              > * Reinstall Java
              > * Retest pcgen
              > * If that doesn't work, best to grab a clean download of Java from
              > http://java.com/
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James Dempsey
              > PCGen Code Gibbon

              Hi James,

              I'm having the exact same problem. I've uninstalled Java and
              reinstalled a clean download, uninstalled and reinstalled PCGen in
              different directories, but still get this error.

              Any other thoughts?

              It seems to be starting up initially, but then it asks for the
              options.ini directory, and dies immediately after that prompt.

              Thanks!
              Mark W Bruce

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 14, 2005
                Hi Freeb

                On 15/12/05, Freeb Frost <freebfrost@...> wrote:
                > Hi James,
                >
                > I'm having the exact same problem. I've uninstalled Java and
                > reinstalled a clean download, uninstalled and reinstalled PCGen in
                > different directories, but still get this error.
                >
                > Any other thoughts?
                >
                > It seems to be starting up initially, but then it asks for the
                > options.ini directory, and dies immediately after that prompt.

                Is the stack trace you get the same as Jason's? If not, could you send
                it in please?

                Oh and what version of Java and PCGen are you working with?

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code Gibbon
              • Freeb Frost
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 14, 2005
                  > Is the stack trace you get the same as Jason's? If not, could you
                  send
                  > it in please?
                  >
                  > Oh and what version of Java and PCGen are you working with?

                  PCGen version: 5.8.0

                  Java version: "1.5.0_06"
                  Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
                  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

                  Here's what I get for the trace:

                  C:\Documents and Settings\MARK\My Documents\PCGen 5.8\pcgen580>java -
                  jar pcgen.j
                  ar
                  Bad main entry point in pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI
                  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
                  Source)
                  at pcgen.core.Main.main(Main.java:76)
[...]
                  at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.<init>(pcGenGUI.java:225)
                  at pcgen.gui.pcGenGUI.main(pcGenGUI.java:398)
                  ... 5 more
                • Freeb Frost
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 14, 2005
                    > Oh and what version of Java and PCGen are you working with?

                    Also, I've used this version of PCGen with other versions of Java
                    runtime, but never seen this problem. I'm wondering if it is somehow
                    related to the new PC?
                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                      Hi Freeb,

                      On 15/12/2005 11:24 AM Freeb Frost wrote

                      >>Oh and what version of Java and PCGen are you working with?
                      >>

                      >Also, I've used this version of PCGen with other versions of Java
                      >runtime, but never seen this problem. I'm wondering if it is somehow
                      >related to the new PC?

                      This description looks to be the same:
                      http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=57&threadID=529156 maybe
                      you could try one of the solutions from there. After it crashes the
                      first time you should have an options.ini file. To change the
                      LookAndFeel you need to change the line that says
                      pcgen.options.looknFeel=0
                      and change the value after the equals sign to 1.

                      Cheers,
                      James Dempsey
                      PCGen Code Gibbon
                    • Freeb Frost
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@a...> wrote:

                        > This description looks to be the same:
                        > http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=57&threadID=529156
                        maybe
                        > you could try one of the solutions from there. After it crashes the
                        > first time you should have an options.ini file. To change the
                        > LookAndFeel you need to change the line that says
                        > pcgen.options.looknFeel=0
                        > and change the value after the equals sign to 1.

                        Hi James,

                        Tried this, but the options.ini file never gets created. Can I
                        manually install an options.ini file?
                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                          Hi Freeb,

                          On 16/12/2005 1:28 PM Freeb Frost wrote

                          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
                          >

                          >>This description looks to be the same:
                          >>http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=57&threadID=529156
                          >>

                          >maybe
                          >

                          >>you could try one of the solutions from there. After it crashes the
                          >>first time you should have an options.ini file. To change the
                          >>LookAndFeel you need to change the line that says
                          >>pcgen.options.looknFeel=0
                          >>and change the value after the equals sign to 1.
                          >>

                          >Hi James,
                          >
                          >Tried this, but the options.ini file never gets created. Can I
                          >manually install an options.ini file?

                          Yes, you can do that, just add that one line to it and the rest will be
                          automatically added once it fires up properly.

                          Cheers,
                          James Dempsey
                          PCGen Code Gibbon
                        • Freeb Frost
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@a...> wrote:

                            > Yes, you can do that, just add that one line to it and the rest will
                            > be automatically added once it fires up properly.

                            I'll try that. In what directory should the options.ini reside?

                            And thanks for all the help James - this has been really frustrating
                            and I definitely appreciate the help.

                            -- Mark
                          • James Dempsey
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                              Hi Freeb,

                              On 16/12/2005 1:44 PM Freeb Frost wrote

                              >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
                              >

                              >>Yes, you can do that, just add that one line to it and the rest will
                              >>be automatically added once it fires up properly.
                              >>

                              >I'll try that. In what directory should the options.ini reside?

                              In the directory you extracted pcgen into.

                              >And thanks for all the help James - this has been really frustrating
                              >and I definitely appreciate the help.

                              Happy to help. :)

                              Cheers,
                              James Dempsey
                              PCGen Code Gibbon
                            • Freeb Frost
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 15, 2005
                                Hi James,

                                That didn't work either, so I poked around on Google with some of the
                                various parts of the error trace, and one line got me a hit for a
                                similar error where solving the problem involved not using the Windows
                                XP desktop theme on the PC. I also noticed that I had an options.ini
                                file used by something called Viewpoint Media Player on the PC
                                (Alienware build).

                                I removed the Viewpoint Player, reinstalled java and pcgen, and
                                removed the Windows XP default theme from the desktop.

                                I'm not sure which of them contributed, but now it works!

                                Thanks again!
                              • Jason Pargeter
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 18, 2005
                                  You guys rock. I got caught up on other projects and wasn't taking
                                  the time to troubleshoot this one myself. Changing my desktop theme
                                  from win xp back to windows classic resolved a number of problems as
                                  well as fixing PCGen. - thanks!

                                  -Jason Pargeter