Re: [pcgen] Re: [Bug] [Trackered] Skill Survival et all not working as should

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 3, 2005
      ovka scribed:

      >> Problems with expressing this with SA tags, well where would you put
      >> it? I
      >> see no way to add them automatically since Survival can be used
      >> without
      >> ranks.
      >
      > How about if we put the tags on the skills that provide the bonus.
      > In this case, rather than put them all on the Survival skill, one
      > each goes on Knowledge(Nature), Knowledge(The Planes), Knowledge
      > (Geography), Knowledge(Dungeoneering), and Search. That way, the
      > bonuses come into play when you have ranks in those skills rather
      > than the other way around.

      That would not solve this particular problem, I use ranks to control
      visibility but the ranks come from Survival. Survival can be used untrained
      so it shows all the time but I've set the subskills to untrained:no so the
      only get ranks when the synergy kicks in. It doesn't matter if those bonuses
      are set in Survival or the knowledge skills, if Survival has no ranks to
      pass to the subskills they will not show up.

      We could hack it so that one point of the synergy goes into a rank instead
      of the bonus, The total would be correct but the ranks would be off.

      > I don't have a problem with temp bonuses, but I print my sheets and
      > bring them to the game. As long as the SA appears when the temp
      > bonus is not applied, and applying the temp bonus causes the SA to
      > disappear, then I'm happy having the temp bonuses set up.

      That is an excellent idea.

      > Finally, it would be nice if we had a special OS token for SA's that
      > represent skill bonuses. These SA's would have a special type on
      > them that could be excluded from appearing in the "standard" special
      > ability list. Instead, they would appear with the skill list. They
      > could either be interspersed throughout the skill list (e.g. Survival
      > +19 followed by every potential conditional bonus to survival that
      > wasn't currently being applied as a temp bonus), or they could all
      > show up at the bottom of the skill list. Perhaps they wouldn't be
      > SA's, but would have a different tag alltogether. I'll leave that to
      > the more experienced Monkey's on the experimental list.

      We are planning to move what we do now with the SA tag to the Ability object
      but that isn't complete yet. I could see the usefulness of a
      'Circumstantial' ability, but we will need to see the thing completed before
      we can talk specifics.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 20, 2005
        On 12/2/05 3:21 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I'm thinking. Code them so the RANKs are only in the
        > main skill (VISIBLE:Export or something) and then add TYPE:Conditional. Set
        > up a preference to only display Conditional skills if
        > a) the preference is checked (Default OFF, because the lengthy skill listing
        > would make this unweildy for those who don't want it, at least untill we get
        > an outcry from users for it to be Default out of the box. For those using
        > TEMP bonuses, they'd want it off....)
        > AND
        > b) the character has a different TOTAL in the conditional than the main
        > skill - Like having the +4 bonus to Combat Casting from the feat

        I run across another problem with this implementation yesterday.

        If you are adding a feat that allows a choice of skills for whatever reason
        VISIBLE:EXPORT skills are displayed. I encountered this working on the
        Loremasters Instant Mastery ability, I found that all the Survival
        sub-skill, while not now visible in the GUI, could be selected and ranks
        added this way.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback