Re: [pcgen] Re: [Bug] [Trackered] Skill Survival et all not working as should

  • boomer70
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 3, 2005
      --- ovka <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, boomer70
      > <boomer70@y...> wrote:
      > >Maybe something like:
      > >BONUS:SKILL|Survival|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge
      > >(Nature),5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|CONDITION=in
      > aboveground
      > >natural environments.
      > >Any BONUS tag (ideally any tag at all) that has a
      > >CONDITION tag on it does not get applied to the
      > >character. The BONUS (or whatever) is available
      > >through an output token instead. That way on the
      > >output sheet you can say
      > >Survival +19 (+21 in aboveground natural
      > environments)
      > >or in a full character sheet
      > >Survival +19*
      > >* Survival +21 in aboveground natural environments.
      >
      > This is an interesting idea, but the problem comes
      > in when bonuses
      > stack. For example:
      >
      > BONUS:SKILL|Survival|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge
      > (Dungeoneering)
      > =5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|CONDITION=underground
      >
      > BONUS:SKILL|Survival|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge
      > (Geography)
      > =5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|CONDITION=when attempting to
      > keep from getting
      > lost or for avoid hazards
      >
      > BONUS:SKILL|Survival|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Nature)
      > =5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|CONDITION=in aboveground
      > natural environments
      >
      > BONUS:SKILL|Survival|2|PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (The
      > Planes)
      > =5|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|CONDITION=on other planes

      BONUS:SKILL|Survival|2|PREMULT:2,[PRESKILL:1,Search=5],
      > [PREFEAT:1,Track]|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|CONDITION=when
      > following tracks
      >
      > How would you list all of these out? How would the
      > program determine
      > that you can be underground, on another plane, and
      > following tracks
      > at the same time, but you can't be underground and
      > aboveground at the
      > same time?

      While I don't disagree, I think you have this problem
      with any solution you take. Either you come up with a
      Spycraft-like 100s of combinations or just list them
      individually and let the player figure it out.

      Here are some of the advantages, as I see it, to
      keeping them BONUSes and not skills or SAs.
      1. They are general. Anything that can be BONUSed can
      be BONUSed conditionally with this approach. For
      example, you could have Fort +4 (+5 vs. poison) for
      your trusty Dwarf. Never again forget those pesky
      save bonuses.
      2. You don't have to create millions of subskills. It
      is a small number if you only include synergy bonuses
      but what about monsters that get skill bonuses
      conditionally like the Lion's +4 to Hide in grassy
      areas.
      3. The bonus is always associated with the Object it
      is bonusing. So you can have LST code use these
      bonuses too. I don't know of any case that uses it
      but it certainly is possible to have a prereq that
      needs it.

      -Aaron

      ----------------
      Aaron Divinsky
      PCGen Data Chimp, Doc Lemur

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 20, 2005
        On 12/2/05 3:21 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I'm thinking. Code them so the RANKs are only in the
        > main skill (VISIBLE:Export or something) and then add TYPE:Conditional. Set
        > up a preference to only display Conditional skills if
        > a) the preference is checked (Default OFF, because the lengthy skill listing
        > would make this unweildy for those who don't want it, at least untill we get
        > an outcry from users for it to be Default out of the box. For those using
        > TEMP bonuses, they'd want it off....)
        > AND
        > b) the character has a different TOTAL in the conditional than the main
        > skill - Like having the +4 bonus to Combat Casting from the feat

        I run across another problem with this implementation yesterday.

        If you are adding a feat that allows a choice of skills for whatever reason
        VISIBLE:EXPORT skills are displayed. I encountered this working on the
        Loremasters Instant Mastery ability, I found that all the Survival
        sub-skill, while not now visible in the GUI, could be selected and ranks
        added this way.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback