Re: [pcgen] Re: [Bug] [Trackered] Skill Survival et all not working as should

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 2, 2005
      On 12/2/05 3:21 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

      >> I would have less of a problem if we had the option to filter them out so
      >> you could choose to include them on the OS or not the same way you can opt
      >> to see untrained skills or not.
      >
      > The reason I haven't made them a priority. Something to look at in my spare
      > time. Here's what I'm thinking. Code them so the RANKs are only in the
      > main skill (VISIBLE:Export or something) and then add TYPE:Conditional. Set
      > up a preference to only display Conditional skills if
      > a) the preference is checked (Default OFF, because the lengthy skill listing
      > would make this unweildy for those who don't want it, at least untill we get
      > an outcry from users for it to be Default out of the box. For those using
      > TEMP bonuses, they'd want it off....)
      > AND
      > b) the character has a different TOTAL in the conditional than the main
      > skill - Like having the +4 bonus to Combat Casting from the feat
      >
      > What'cha think?

      Works for me. We may want to formalize this, it is a minor feature in the
      RSRD but this could be used extensively for Spycraft 2, let me throw this
      concept out for you to chew on:

      Spycraft 2 makes use of the concept of Named Skill Checks, these are not
      skills but things you can accomplish with skills, because they are named
      they can receive synergy bonuses from skills. So most (maybe all, I'll have
      to check) synergy bonuses go into the named skill checks not other skills.

      These named skill checks are exactly what the survival sub skills are,
      specific uses for a certain skill. The difference is in Spycraft 2 there are
      over a hundred of them.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 20, 2005
        On 12/2/05 3:21 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I'm thinking. Code them so the RANKs are only in the
        > main skill (VISIBLE:Export or something) and then add TYPE:Conditional. Set
        > up a preference to only display Conditional skills if
        > a) the preference is checked (Default OFF, because the lengthy skill listing
        > would make this unweildy for those who don't want it, at least untill we get
        > an outcry from users for it to be Default out of the box. For those using
        > TEMP bonuses, they'd want it off....)
        > AND
        > b) the character has a different TOTAL in the conditional than the main
        > skill - Like having the +4 bonus to Combat Casting from the feat

        I run across another problem with this implementation yesterday.

        If you are adding a feat that allows a choice of skills for whatever reason
        VISIBLE:EXPORT skills are displayed. I encountered this working on the
        Loremasters Instant Mastery ability, I found that all the Survival
        sub-skill, while not now visible in the GUI, could be selected and ranks
        added this way.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback