Re: [pcgen] Re: [Bug] [Trackered] Skill Survival et all not working as should

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 2, 2005
      On 12/2/05 1:50 AM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

      > Temporary bonuses are the end-all-be-all.

      Finally you've come around :D
      He he, just playing, I saw your follow up post ;-)

      > Let's NOT go that route
      > without some other sort of backup. If they are strictly Temp bonuses,
      > ppl like me who print up a PDF and then travel to my game won't have
      > access..

      I agree. I like temp bonuses, but I run my games with PCGen right at the
      table. For those creating sheets to take to a game the temp bonuses are not
      as useful as they could be because you have to take care to note which temp
      bonuses you are using on your sheet. For this reason we really need to have
      Temp bonus output tokens (hint hint):
      [ 1025212 ] OS tokens for Temporary Bonus Tab items
      <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1025212&group_id=2
      5576&atid=384722>

      With this you could make several versions of your sheets and see at a glance
      which temp bonuses were for what.

      I realize this will not suit some folks play style and some will want one
      sheet with everything listed on it, I agree we should aim to support that as
      well. I see no reason not to at least try to support both styles.

      Our problem is that we don't have a good solution with any of these styles,
      let me count them off:

      Problems with the current implementation are that the skill variants are not
      activated unless you have ranks in survival and also it has been pointed out
      that these synergies stack and this set up has now way to express that.

      Problems with a temp bonus set up are detailed above.

      Problems with expressing this with SA tags, well where would you put it? I
      see no way to add them automatically since Survival can be used without
      ranks. We could make a template to hold them and the user could add it
      manually if they wish to display such things but then that becomes one more
      weird work around template to get buried in the race tab.

      I don't like the idea of these sub-skills which are not skills at all but
      circumstantial variations, the skills block is long enough already with all
      the untrained skills before you start adding these type of variants.

      I would have less of a problem if we had the option to filter them out so
      you could choose to include them on the OS or not the same way you can opt
      to see untrained skills or not.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 20, 2005
        On 12/2/05 3:21 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

        > Here's what I'm thinking. Code them so the RANKs are only in the
        > main skill (VISIBLE:Export or something) and then add TYPE:Conditional. Set
        > up a preference to only display Conditional skills if
        > a) the preference is checked (Default OFF, because the lengthy skill listing
        > would make this unweildy for those who don't want it, at least untill we get
        > an outcry from users for it to be Default out of the box. For those using
        > TEMP bonuses, they'd want it off....)
        > AND
        > b) the character has a different TOTAL in the conditional than the main
        > skill - Like having the +4 bonus to Combat Casting from the feat

        I run across another problem with this implementation yesterday.

        If you are adding a feat that allows a choice of skills for whatever reason
        VISIBLE:EXPORT skills are displayed. I encountered this working on the
        Loremasters Instant Mastery ability, I found that all the Survival
        sub-skill, while not now visible in the GUI, could be selected and ranks
        added this way.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback