Re: [pcgen] [BUG][DOCS] CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      On 12/1/05 5:59 PM, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

      > Apparently the above is a toggle in the code that you can put in when you
      > have to have MULT:YES but don't want the hassle of an extra chooser popping
      > up.
      >
      > Thanks to boomer for finding it while on a bug hunt for me.
      >
      > Barak

      Oh that is SWEET!

      I just threw it in Toughness to try it out, no choose at all, when you add
      it twice it shows (x2), (x3) etc...

      Think of all the crappy place holder chooses we can ditch now :D
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005

        That was about my reaction too.

        > I just threw it in Toughness to try it out, no choose at all,
        > when you add it twice it shows (x2), (x3) etc...
        >
        > Think of all the crappy place holder chooses we can ditch now :D

        Yeah, I thought you'd enjoy it as well. :)

        Barak
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          Subject: [pcgen] [BUG][DOCS] CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

          > Apparently the above is a toggle in the code that you can put in when you
          > have to have MULT:YES but don't want the hassle of an extra chooser
          popping
          > up.

          KICK ASS!!! I wish I'd thought of that. :)

          > Thanks to boomer for finding it while on a bug hunt for me.

          Kewl.

          Ok, now we have another walkthrough of CHOOSE to implement this nice
          feature. I wonder how long that's been there....

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp
        • Eric Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            At 18:27 2005.12.01, Tir Gwaith wrote:
            >> Apparently the above is a toggle in the code that you can put in when you
            >> have to have MULT:YES but don't want the hassle of an extra chooser
            >popping
            >> up.
            >
            >KICK ASS!!! I wish I'd thought of that. :)
            >
            >> Thanks to boomer for finding it while on a bug hunt for me.
            >
            >Kewl.
            >
            >Ok, now we have another walkthrough of CHOOSE to implement this nice
            >feature. I wonder how long that's been there....
            >
            >Tir Gwaith
            >LST Chimp

            Just wondering but if CHOOSE:NOCHOICE becomes the default value for CHOOSE when none other are given, that would mean that MULT:YES could be used alone on a line... This looks like a syntax that is a work around for bug in PCGen.

            Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
            Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
            >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
            <mailto:beaudoer@...>
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
              Tir Gwaith wrote:

              > Ok, now we have another walkthrough of CHOOSE to implement this nice
              > feature. I wonder how long that's been there....

              Will changing the Toughness feat with this tag break existing
              characters?

              Stefan.
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                Stefan Radermacher scribed:

                >> Ok, now we have another walkthrough of CHOOSE to implement this nice
                >> feature. I wonder how long that's been there....
                >
                > Will changing the Toughness feat with this tag break existing
                > characters?

                Lets find out *goes to play with the LST*

                Apparently not, made a commoner and added Toughness twice and saved him.

                Closed PCGen and changed Toughness to use CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

                When I reopended the PC the character still has the feat exactly as before
                with the +3 HP,+3 HP next to it in the feat pane. He also has the hit
                points. When I remove the feat there is no chooser window the +3 HP just
                goes away one at a time. When added back I get (x2) thereafter.

                So no breakage that I can see.
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Barak scribed:

                  > Apparently the above is a toggle in the code that you can put in when you
                  > have to have MULT:YES but don't want the hassle of an extra chooser popping
                  > up.
                  >
                  > Thanks to boomer for finding it while on a bug hunt for me.
                  >
                  > Barak

                  Trackered for the docs:

                  [ 1371400 ] Document CHOOSE:NOCHOICE tag
                  <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1371400&group_id=2
                  5576&atid=748235>
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Eddy Anthony scribed:

                    > [ 1371400 ] Document CHOOSE:NOCHOICE tag
                    > <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1371400&group_id=2
                    > 5576&atid=748235>

                    And here it is:

                    *** New 5.9.4
                    Tag Name: CHOOSE:NOCHOICE

                    What it does:
                    This CHOOSE tag will NOT produce a pop up window. This is useful in feats
                    which use MULT:YES to allow them to be selected multiple times. A feat with
                    this tag will simply be added to the character without a chooser window,
                    after the first time it is added a (x2), (x3) etc. will be displayed
                    indicating how many times the feat was chosen.

                    Example:
                    CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                    The feat is added without a chooser window.

                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                      You should probably add that for a "nested" choice the
                      choice also doesn't show up.

                      For example a if you have a feat Feat X that has an
                      ADD:FEAT(Feat Y) and Feat X has a CHOOSE normally it
                      will appear as
                      Feat X(Feat Y) in the chooser. With this option it
                      will show up as Feat Y.

                      --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                      > Eddy Anthony scribed:
                      >
                      > > [ 1371400 ] Document CHOOSE:NOCHOICE tag

                      <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1371400&group_id=2
                      > > 5576&atid=748235>
                      >
                      > And here it is:
                      >
                      > *** New 5.9.4
                      > Tag Name: CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                      >
                      > What it does:
                      > This CHOOSE tag will NOT produce a pop up window.
                      > This is useful in feats
                      > which use MULT:YES to allow them to be selected
                      > multiple times. A feat with
                      > this tag will simply be added to the character
                      > without a chooser window,
                      > after the first time it is added a (x2), (x3) etc.
                      > will be displayed
                      > indicating how many times the feat was chosen.
                      >
                      > Example:
                      > CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                      > The feat is added without a chooser window.
                      >
                      > --
                      > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

                      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                      dsl.yahoo.com
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                        boomer70 scribed:

                        > You should probably add that for a "nested" choice the
                        > choice also doesn't show up.
                        >
                        > For example a if you have a feat Feat X that has an
                        > ADD:FEAT(Feat Y) and Feat X has a CHOOSE normally it
                        > will appear as
                        > Feat X(Feat Y) in the chooser. With this option it
                        > will show up as Feat Y.

                        Will do, thanks for unearthing this gem :-)

                        >> Eddy Anthony scribed:
                        >>
                        >>> [ 1371400 ] Document CHOOSE:NOCHOICE tag
                        >>>

                        > <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1371400&group_id=2
                        >>> 5576&atid=748235>
                        >>
                        >> And here it is:
                        >>
                        >> *** New 5.9.4
                        >> Tag Name: CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                        >>
                        >> What it does:
                        >> This CHOOSE tag will NOT produce a pop up window.
                        >> This is useful in feats
                        >> which use MULT:YES to allow them to be selected
                        >> multiple times. A feat with
                        >> this tag will simply be added to the character
                        >> without a chooser window,
                        >> after the first time it is added a (x2), (x3) etc.
                        >> will be displayed
                        >> indicating how many times the feat was chosen.
                        >>
                        >> Example:
                        >> CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                        >> The feat is added without a chooser window.
                        >>
                        >> --
                        >> ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        >> ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                          Found a little bug with this, a feat with this can be selected an unlimited
                          number of times, once the feat pool reaches 0 additional selections push the
                          pool into negative numbers and does not prevent the feat from being added as
                          it should.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
                            Something to consider (minor possibility) PREFEAT:1,Toughness(+3 HP)
                            wouldn't work after that change for someone that does what you did...
                            Not too big a possibility, but something to consider.... I don't think
                            it will effect many, if any at all...

                            Tir Gwaith
                            LST Chimp

                            > Closed PCGen and changed Toughness to use CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
                            >
                            > When I reopended the PC the character still has the feat exactly as
                            before
                            > with the +3 HP,+3 HP next to it in the feat pane. He also has the hit
                            > points. When I remove the feat there is no chooser window the +3 HP
                            just
                            > goes away one at a time. When added back I get (x2) thereafter.
                            >
                            > So no breakage that I can see.
                          • karianna03
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                              Hi all,

                              > Ok, now we have another walkthrough of CHOOSE to implement this nice
                              > feature. I wonder how long that's been there....

                              And _this_ is the reason we need to finish off all of our existing doc
                              bugs and freqs (We're starting to get through them, but I need more
                              volunteers) and be vigilant when we create new ones....

                              Karianna