Shard

  • wireframe6464
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
      Hopefully this is of interest to some people out there that have
      "rolled their own" d20 tools...

      http://jroller.com/page/wireframe/?anchor=shard_a_call_for_support
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2005
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "wireframe6464" <wireframe@d...> wrote:

        > Hopefully this is of interest to some people out there that have
        > "rolled their own" d20 tools...
        >
        > http://jroller.com/page/wireframe/?anchor=shard_a_call_for_support

        I finally figured out where to go to get the Core module, but after a
        wait while some components were installed, the GUI didn't populate
        correctly. I'm sure I just didn't get the data or install something
        properly, but it wasn't clear how I was supposed to do that. It would
        be helpful if the GUI could detect this issue, since I'm sure many
        first-time-users will get that, and put up a window that gives
        directions on where to get the data, or whatever the resolution is.

        The description of the project sounds interesting, though I imagine
        they need to look into whether or not they have to use the d20 license
        and how that would impact the scope of what they're trying to
        accomplish. I've looked at a couple of dozen character generators
        since PCGen began, and some have had promising beginnings, but never
        carry through on that potential. The developer team on PCGen is
        converting to using maven (at least it seems like it's going to
        happen!) so it's interesting to see that this project uses it
        extensively. When I have a bit more time I'll see if I can take a
        look at the code to see how well the game mechanics have been
        abstracted to the data rather than being hard coded in the program's
        logic.

        Good luck to the developers on the Shard project - maybe PCGen and
        Shard can find a way to help each other out!

        -Bryan
        Benevolent Dictator of PCGen