Help with the Linux version

  • Massimo Gorla
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
      Hi everybody.
      I love pcgen, but I'd like to use it on my Linux box where I keep all
      of my data and programs.
      I use Fedora Core 4, and it doesn't seem to work on that. When I start
      up pcgen with the pcgen.sh script it displays a small window saying
      "Directory for options.ini location", a big red "i", a label with
      "html>Select a directory to store PCGen" (yes, there is html written
      there). There is also a piece of a radio button and of a text box.
      The window is obviously too small for the text it is supposed to
      contain, there is no buttons.
      I try to push some keys on my board, but nothing happens. When I close
      the window a new window appears with "PCGen Error processing
      Options.ini" in the title bar and "java.lang.String cannot be cast
      into java.lan" (truncated), and a couple of buttons ok/cancel.
      In the end in the console appears a heap of messages saying (.:8313):
      Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `window != NULL' fai
      led

      I was wondering if someone has already tried it and can provide some help.
      Thanks everybody.
    • Steven Gilroy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
        Sounds like a problem with your java. Make sure you are using an
        updated version of java from java.sun.com instead of the poor excuse for
        a java binary that comes with Fedora Core 3 and 4.

        --

        Steven Gilroy
        PCGen OS Lemur
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:

          > Sounds like a problem with your java. Make sure you are using an
          > updated version of java from java.sun.com instead of the poor excuse
          for
          > a java binary that comes with Fedora Core 3 and 4.
          > --
          >
          > Steven Gilroy
          > PCGen OS Lemur
          > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"

          Thanks. It worked great!

          I downloaded the jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin and ran it in my home
          directory. Next I moved the newly created directory jre1.5.0_05 to
          /usr/java.
          Finally I changed the symbolic link /usr/bin/java to make it point to
          /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin/java and run pcgen.sh

          (Steven Gilroy also suggested me to change /etc/profile so to add the
          new java to every user's path, but it's a matter of personal taste)

          Massimo
        • criafolen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Massimo Gorla" <briareos@...> wrote:

            > > Massimo Gorla wrote:
            > >
            > > >Hi everybody.
            > > >I love pcgen, but I'd like to use it on my Linux box where I keep all
            > > >of my data and programs.
            > > >I use Fedora Core 4, and it doesn't seem to work on that. When I
            start
            > > >up pcgen with the pcgen.sh script it displays a small window saying
            > > >"Directory for options.ini location", a big red "i", a label with
            > > >"html>Select a directory to store PCGen" (yes, there is html written
            > > >there). There is also a piece of a radio button and of a text box.
            > > >The window is obviously too small for the text it is supposed to
            > > >contain, there is no buttons.
            > > >I try to push some keys on my board, but nothing happens. When I
            close
            > > >the window a new window appears with "PCGen Error processing
            > > >Options.ini" in the title bar and "java.lang.String cannot be cast
            > > >into java.lan" (truncated), and a couple of buttons ok/cancel.
            > > >In the end in the console appears a heap of messages saying (.:8313):
            > > >Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `window !=
            NULL' fai
            > > > led
            > > >
            > > >I was wondering if someone has already tried it and can provide
            > some help.
            > > >Thanks everybody.
            > > >

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sounds like a problem with your java. Make sure you are using an
            > > updated version of java from java.sun.com instead of the poor excuse
            > for
            > > a java binary that comes with Fedora Core 3 and 4.
            > > --
            > >
            > > Steven Gilroy
            > > PCGen OS Lemur
            > > "In a world without fences, who needs GATES?"
            > >

            > Thanks. It worked great!
            >
            > I downloaded the jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin and ran it in my home
            > directory. Next I moved the newly created directory jre1.5.0_05 to
            > /usr/java.
            > Finally I changed the symbolic link /usr/bin/java to make it point to
            > /usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin/java and run pcgen.sh
            >
            > (Steven Gilroy also suggested me to change /etc/profile so to add the
            > new java to every user's path, but it's a matter of personal taste)
            >
            > Massimo

            How did you change the symbolic link?
            I've tried using text editors and that dosen't seem to work.
            I'm having the same problem you did
          • Steve Gilroy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2007
              Remove the existing file - should be /usr/bin/java
              then to create a new symbolic link do the following command:
              ln -s /path/to/java /usr/bin/java
              don't forget the space between the 2 paths (it's kind of hard to see the
              space there).