Re: [pcgen] Re: Help on a MAC

  • Éric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
      At 19:45 2005.10.02, Jay wrote:
      >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
      >> --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
      >> > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of
      >weeks
      >> > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be
      >damned if I
      >> > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about
      >that.
      >> First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line.
      >Yeah, I
      >> know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first
      >time. ;-)
      >>
      >> From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install
      >lives.
      >> Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters.
      >It's the
      >> same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something
      >like:
      >>
      >> # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar
      >>
      >> (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might
      >have a
      >> machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)
      >>
      >> It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well
      >PCGen
      >> performs on a Mac. :-)
      >>
      >> It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages
      >which are
      >> directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help
      >in
      >> debugging LST files.
      >
      >There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files section (I
      >think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how you
      >can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your custom
      >memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
      >being output to the terminal window...
      >
      >Jay (=

      Be careful, I don't think the build instruction works with Tiger.

      Éric Beaudoin <mailto:beaudoer@...>

      "Bikkit!"
      -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)
    • Jay
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, �ric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...>
        wrote:
        > At 19:45 2005.10.02, Jay wrote:
        > >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
        > >There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files
        section (I
        > >think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how
        you
        > >can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your
        custom
        > >memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
        > >being output to the terminal window...

        > Be careful, I don't think the build instruction works with Tiger.

        It should; it's the one I uploaded, which has Tiger build
        instructions. (It's the same as the one I posted the other day...)

        Jay (=